Mike Leach accepted the UT Job, then we withdrew the offer... Let that sink in

It’s my opinion that he would struggle to get an SEC quality DC to come here. His offense, when rolling scores quick which means the defense is on the field more. When his offense is struggling(a lot of 3 and outs with little time off the clock because he basically throws it every down) the defense is on the the field more. Either way, his defenses are typically on the field more. Established DCs do not want to be in that position every game. And do not dislike Mike Leach. I believe he’s a very good football coach.
Most of the best programs of the past decade have run an up tempo offense. Defense's job is to make the other team go 3 and out, or cause a turnover.

Reactions: BDP!
Kind of ironic, Washington State lost while punting just one time. We also only punted one time in the loss to Ga State. The triple option is just brutal. If Tennessee ran it, even very successfully, I'd probably have to pick a new team. zzzzzzz

What I think people are trying to say is.........Leach's style of coaching offense isn't complimentary to good defense. Traditionally, his teams throw the ball, alot. Which is great, if it is successful. If not, it leaves your defense on the field, alot. Tired defenses make BIG MISTAKES. Plus, UT's defensive depth, at this point, isn't complimentary to having the defense on the field for an inordinate amount of time.
I get it. Similar to what BDP posted. LSU has the #9 defense in the SEC. Leach could win this conference. JMO, of course.

Reactions: kbear01
Sure but some people can't be a Vols fan AND admit that anyone other than Pruitt can coach ball.
Nah.

That's not it.

Watch this: Nick Saban is a great coach. Urban Meyer is a great coach (horrible human being, supposedly, but great coach). Dabo Swinney is a great coach. Pete Carroll is a great coach. Bobby Bowden: great coach.

See? So that's not the problem.

It's simply that Mike Leach is not a great coach. He's an average-to-good coach with a fun offensive style and a humorous, quirky sense of humour. That's all he is.

Nah.

That's not it.

Watch this: Nick Saban is a great coach. Urban Meyer is a great coach (horrible human being, supposedly, but great coach). Dabo Swinney is a great coach. Pete Carroll is a great coach. Bobby Bowden: great coach.

See? So that's not the problem.

It's simply that Mike Leach is not a great coach. He's an average-to-good coach with a fun offensive style and a humorous, quirky sense of humour. That's all he is.
say it with me...Leach is better than Pruitt. Maybe someday that changes but that's how it is now and was even moreso the case in 2017 when the search was underway.

One bad year. Heh.

He's been at Washington State eight seasons. Four of those were losing seasons. That's half, not "one bad year." And of his four better years, three were 8-5 (which Jeremy may achieve this season at Tennessee) or 9-4 (which Butch got the Vols to, twice).

So how is the fact that "dude wins more than he loses" supposed to be a ringing endorsement?

p.s. Never once said Leach can't coach, so give up that red herring. Said he's middling, as in somewhere around the average, and not championship caliber. Because, you know, he's not.

Go Vols!
Better than Chip Kelly...but that’s not a compliment anymore. 😏

say it with me...Leach is better than Pruitt. Maybe someday that changes but that's how it is now and was even moreso the case in 2017 when the search was underway.

I honestly don't think so, brother.

First, there's the "what have you done for us lately" measuring stick. Using that one, Pruitt is 7-5 with a chance at 8-5, while Leach is 6-7. At worst, the Vols will still end the season with a better record than the Cougars. So there's that.

Then there's the # of championships each have coached. I've forgotten the number for Pruitt, something like 8 or 10, including national championships, conference titles, and even high school state championships. Mike Leach's grand total is, i think, 0.

It is true that Mike Leach has a better winning record as a college head coach than Jeremy Pruitt right now, at 139-90, compared to CJP's 12-12. But I think we all know that Pruitt is going to be far beyond a 60% win rate by the time he's 18 years into his career as the boss of a program.

Dude has been a flat out championship-caliber winner at every level he has coached thus far. I don't see any reason to believe that trend won't continue once he's got his feet fully under him. And yes, that was true the day we hired him. Pruitt had more potential than Leach, even before he head-coached a single practice.

You're free to doubt, of course.

Go Vols!

You’re in denial. This anybody but Pruitt philosophy is your own personal hell. Especially since Kelly sucks so epically. 😏

First, there's the "what have you done for us lately" measuring stick. Using that one, Pruitt is 7-5 with a chance at 8-5, while Leach is 6-7. At worst, the Vols will still end the season with a better record than the Cougars. So there's that.

Then there's the # of championships each have coached. I've forgotten the number for Pruitt, something like 8 or 10, including national championships, conference titles, and even high school state championships. Mike Leach's grand total is, i think, 0.

It is true that Mike Leach has a better winning record as a college head coach than Jeremy Pruitt right now, at 139-90, compared to CJP's 12-12. But I think we all know that Pruitt is going to be far beyond a 60% win rate by the time he's 18 years into his career as the boss of a program.

Dude has been a flat out championship-caliber winner at every level he has coached thus far. I don't see any reason to believe that trend won't continue once he's got his feet fully under him. And yes, that was true the day we hired him. Pruitt had more potential than Leach, even before he head-coached a single practice.

Go Vols!

So Dan Mullen is credited with two National Championships? Kirby Smart has two? This is stupid logic. Not that I agree that Leach is anything to gush over.

Go Vols!
He's been on staffs where he was a cog on another man's machine. They were all good with and without him. He's a .500ish head coach and there really isn't much certainty that he'll raise that number much and/or get anywhere close to 18 years as a P5 head coach.

Like I posted earlier, some of you cannot acknowledge facts. You're zealots, kind of like an orange taliban. It's okay. Just don't expect to be taken seriously by anyone outside the bubble.

Reactions: JuicyBrucey
We don't know that because he's never had an opportunity at a place that is a championship level program. Dude had Texas Tech ranked number one in the nation at one point. Washington State is a very difficult place to win at. It's the worst job in the PAC 12. With the right DC hire (just like a HC with a defensive background would need a solid OC) I absolutely believe he could be a championship level HC.

Go Vols (we agree where it really matters, haha)
Leach is overrated and when he was in the SEC as a coach he did what he does now, rack up tons of meaningless yards in losses

He's been on staffs where he was a cog on another man's machine. They were all good with and without him. He's a .500ish head coach and there really isn't much certainty that he'll raise that number much and/or get anywhere close to 18 years as a P5 head coach.

Like I posted earlier, some of you cannot acknowledge facts. You're zealots, kind of like an orange taliban. It's okay. Just don't expect to be taken seriously by anyone outside the bubble.

Yes, because nothing he ever did before becoming a head coach has any bearing on how he'll do next.

Look, I get that there's a transition challenge when a fella goes from coordinator to HMFIC. I really do. Some don't make it. For sure.

But the ones who fail, they mostly fail because of the distractions. They get a big head and a full wallet, and blow their chances in a hotel room with a couple of call girls, a bag of blow, and a $3,000 credit card bill for room service. Or they go south with the NCAA, and/or their college administration. Or, most often of all, they simply get distracted by the business side of the job and forget to coach football, the thing that got them a head coaching job in the first place.

Jeremy's still getting his legs under him, for sure, but he has already proven in these past two years that he's probably not going to fall to any of those traps. He remains as 100% focused on the game of football and coaching lads to play it well as he ever was before. And the way he was able to coach and develop before, well, it was championship caliber.

That means the signs are strongly favorable for a bright future.

That's not orange homerism, that's just understanding the business of college football and how career progression works in that field.

Things are looking up. Pruitt, at 12-12, is already way beyond Mike Leach. He's chasing the great coaches I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Lol, I guarantee there are more people here that take him more serious than they do you.

Gay-ro-friggin-teeit!!!

Most of the best programs of the past decade have run an up tempo offense. Defense's job is to make the other team go 3 and out, or cause a turnover.
I don’t disagree. However, causing turnovers and getting 3 and outs are more difficult if you have to play more defensive snaps. Mike Leaches offense makes his defense play more snaps. Not all but a large percentage of high scoring offenses usually struggle on defense. That’s because they generally play more snaps on defense.

You’re utterly alone. Not even negavols acknowledge you. 😏
tumblr_n5615lmSc31tocv4co1_400.gifv

It can not be argued that Mike Leach is offensive genius and a good coach. He and Mumme revolutionized the game. He has accomplished amazing things with lesser talent.
WSU is probably one of the most difficult FBS programs to be successful. He has been their most successful coach ever. They never have winning seasons, Mike Price had a few good years there but that’s it.
This year he lost his starting qb to suicide. And still won half his games. If he were to ever coach at a top program he would adapt his coaching as he has always done and exceed expectations.
As far as Tennessee, I don’t think his personality would have been a fit. But Lord help us all if he ever gets elite talent.

Reactions: JuicyBrucey
It can not be argued that Mike Leach is offensive genius and a good coach. He and Mumme revolutionized the game. He has accomplished amazing things with lesser talent.
WSU is probably one of the most difficult FBS programs to be successful. He has been their most successful coach ever. They never have winning seasons, Mike Price had a few good years there but that’s it.
This year he lost his starting qb to suicide. And still won half his games. If he were to ever coach at a top program he would adapt his coaching as he has always done and exceed expectations.
As far as Tennessee, I don’t think his personality would have been a fit. But Lord help us all if he ever gets elite talent.
When you have his excuses already mapped out before his hire? It’s a good missed hire.

Gee wonder why he never does?

VN Store

Back