Maurer? Portal bound?

When has our QB play been amazing this year with any of the 3.
First half of the UGA game. Most of the Mizzou game. But the difference is RS Jr vs freshmen.

My comment though was about locker room chemistry. I don't think we want to see a divided team.

The Indiana game was close cause JG couldn’t hit a player in stride at all for the first 3 and half quarters.

Dobbs, Casey, Ainge, Peyton, Shuler takes this exact same team to a 9 win season at worst and probably a 10 win season with wins over Bama and maybe even Fl.

Casey would hsve run this Bama team out of the building we played.
Not so sure about the last one but yes on the sentence before.

Did you intend to disagree with me? You didn't.

If only we could have an OC FOR MORE THAN 1 YEAR!

Oh wait we do now boys. Every Qb on our roster will be better next year.

I doubt JG will consistently read D's quickly or anticipate throws. He's just late. It is so natural to him that he slips back into it without even realizing it. He slips back into it in spite of multiple coaches trying to fix him.

Chaney helped fix Crompton. Crompton was an absolute emotional shambles. He responded by averaging 215 ypg... 50 more than JG has ever thrown for. He threw 27 TD's to a less talented WR group... 5 less than JG's career total.

There comes a point where you just cut bait.... I think UT has come to that point with JG.

First half of the UGA game. Most of the Mizzou game. But the difference is RS Jr vs freshmen.

My comment though was about locker room chemistry. I don't think we want to see a divided team.

Not so sure about the last one but yes on the sentence before.

Did you intend to disagree with me? You didn't.

I disagree that anything has been amazing about our QB play. Not a big deal just think our QB has been horrible.

Drops and interceptions that “aren’t their fault” count in stats for a reason. Because they happen to EVERY QUARTERBACK.

Then he shouldn't use them in a discussion about 'accuracy'. If a ball hits a guy in the chest, pops up and gets picked, the quarterback wasn't inaccurate.

This is why we believe the evidence of our eyes over his goofball 'stats'.

Then he shouldn't use them in a discussion about 'accuracy'. If a ball hits a guy in the chest, pops up and gets picked, the quarterback wasn't inaccurate.

This is why we believe the evidence of our eyes over his goofball 'stats'.
Completion percentage is a thing. It’s not compromised by narratives. When you’re down to criticizing a true freshman WR in an intra squad game for an interception? You missed the exit 3 exits back. Those interceptions happen to every quarterback. As for Maurer, I grumbled along with others when Pruitt announced that JG would be starting the second half against Kentucky. I didn’t think Maurer had played bad enough to get pulled. My job also wasn’t affected by what JG could or couldn’t do in the second half. I’ve second guessed him on other QB and other position issues also. In the end his educated guesses have explained why he’s calling the shots and we’re commenting on message boards.

BM is like a new technology stock- high risk and high reward. His ceiling is high- he can turn a busted play into a large gain or hit on a big pass completion or take off and run. He also is high risk as he tends to force the explosive plays mentioned above that may result in a turnover. The reason we like him is the excitement, quick decisions (some good and some bad) and potential to create plays. See Brett Favre-gunslinger. JG is like a bond, low risk but lower return although at times last year and was high risk and a loss.

I don’t know. I’m sure I’m setting my expectations way too high but I’m starting to feel like HB will be polished and battle tested from day one much like Trever Lawrence. It just seems like HB has been through all of the proper training and competition and will come in with a high QB IQ both physically and mentally.

Reactions: VolForLife83
You are wrong... again.

BM has a better, more accurate arm. His problem isn't "passing" but decision making. He is too aggressive at times. He plays instinctive which is the exact opposite of JG's problem. He has less experience and development.

If they can't coach him up to make good decisions and go through progressions... then I don't want him any more than I want JG. But... HE IS JUST A FRESHMAN. I didn't write JG off until he earned it. I'll extend the same to Maurer.

Agree. I think BM has a strong arm and is pretty accurate. Just because he takes more chances doesn’t mean he’s not a good passer. Didn’t he win one of those elite 10 competitions? I’m pretty sure your passing skills are evaluated

Reactions: Old Geezer
I don’t know. I’m sure I’m setting my expectations way too high but I’m starting to feel like HB will be polished and battle tested from day one much like Trever Lawrence. It just seems like HB has been through all of the proper training and competition and will come in with a high QB IQ both physically and mentally.

There's still going to be a learning curve though. I have high hopes for HB as well but won't be surprised if there is an adjustment period. Speed of the game at this level is main one I feel.

JG has about the same completion % as Dobbs. His completion % is better than Tee Martins, Tyler Bray and Erik Ainge (barely). Try harder.

short check down passes inflate completion %’s. JG typically ends up throwing the safest lowest risk passes and rarely tries to take a risk with his throws. He has taken sacks rather than getting rid of the ball. Dobbs at Tee more than offset their completion % with their legs and throw the ball down the field more.

Imo Bailey will be a good qb, not great but good. I base this on his lack of mobility. For example lsu and clemson both with very good ol. Their qb had to make many plays because the pocket broke down. I'm not sure Bailey can do this; he would have been sacked multiple times in that game. If given time to throw I think he will be very good. I just happen to favor duel threat qb and would like to see how holiday is on passing.

Lawrence and Burrow are close to the same size as HB and are not speed demons. They are able to extend plays with their legs but they aren’t Lamar Jackson either. I can’t imagine HB I’d that much slower than those guys.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Check the YPA fir each QB

Yards per attempt rises with a higher completion percentage. I always thought YPA was kind of a worthless stat. Yards per completion and better yet, yards before yards after catch or yards in the air tells us the most about how far a qbs avg passes are.

Yards per attempt rises with a higher completion percentage. I always thought YPA was kind of a worthless stat. Yards per completion and better yet, yards before yards after catch or yards in the air tells us the most about how far a qbs avg passes are.

Kind of funny to see the lengths some fans will go to just to prove JG is a bad QB. But if you wanna use YPC then JGs was higher than Burrows, Lawrence and Fields.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Helton might have been a good QB at UT if not for the injury.

I think JG would have a shot to play in from of Stewart. Somewhat similar players. All the physical talent you could ever want... but something just not quite clicking in the mental part.

Hmm. I remember Stewart being lights out. In fact at least half of our fan base preferred him over Manning for a while during their freshman year. I thought Stewart had a strong arm, was accurate and could also run if needed. He played well at A&M too.

Kind of funny to see the lengths some fans will go to just to prove JG is a bad QB. But if you wanna use YPC then JGs was higher than Burrows, Lawrence and Fields.

No I’m not saying he’s a bad QB. He clearly won some games for us this year when we needed them badly. What I am saying is that these completion % and YPA stats are sometimes overrated and do not tell the whole story. The QBs mentioned as comparisons had different styles and skill sets and making black and white comparisons using a few stats rarely are an apples to apples comparison. The only stat that matters is scoring and winning. Dobbs and Tee certainly got the job done regardless of their stats.

short check down passes inflate completion %’s. JG typically ends up throwing the safest lowest risk passes and rarely tries to take a risk with his throws. He has taken sacks rather than getting rid of the ball. Dobbs at Tee more than offset their completion % with their legs and throw the ball down the field more.
I may be totally mistaken, but it seems as though Chaney changed to the no thought, no option, no read passes later in the Bowl game and that was very beneficial for our QB at the time.

So a high YPA=Good QB? That's all it takes? Offensive production doesn't matter? Points responsible for per game doesn't matter? Throwing TDs doesn't matter?

Fun fact, in 2019 Brent Cimaglia was responsible for 8 points/game, JG was only responsible for 7.4/game.

Being fair to only go back to say... Kelly due to the changes in the speed of the game... which of these players do you think JG would have started in front of? Kelly, Shuler, Manning, Martin, Clausen, Ainge, Bray, Dobbs? Frankly, I think he sits behind Crompton.
Crompton was a less accurate JG with a run game to lean on. Crompton's Jr year stats make JG look like a Heisman candidate.

VN Store

Back