Maurer? Portal bound?

BM is faster and and a worse passer. I would think he is more likely to be a wr than Hill.
Maurer’s issue is just a lack of snaps to feel comfortable. He was too high strung in his limited playing time. I believe he will settle down if he is not yanked after every incomplete pass or questionable decision. JG was given more of a leash.

Last edited:
Then why didn’t he keep playing after his recovery from injury?
He didn't play the same. I've said that many times. He was tentative and confused too often. Pruitt said he made several bad RPO reads. I think opposing DC's recognized that he wasn't handing the ball off in RPO's very often. RPO completions were a huge part of his success when he played well.

But how he played after recovering... if he was fully recovered... isn't the question. JG played poorly. So poorly that the coaches gave a true Fr who was not ready an opportunity. He answered with the UGA game. Afterwards, Pruitt acted as if it were obvious who the starter was for MSU.

No matter how you want to spin it. JG played poorly enough for BM to get a shot. BM played well enough to "win" the job before being injured.

I'm pretty clear when I post about Maurer. I think he has potential. But he has a TON of issues that have to be corrected. I am just more forgiving of a true Fr that was probably viewed as at least somewhat of a project than a RS Jr that has had all sorts of coaches try to "fix" him.

If Burrow can have a major jump in performance from one year to the next, then we really shouldn't count out any of the QBs on the roster. The second year under Chaney should provide a boost for the returning players and Bailey is a wildcard with massive potential. We're in a solid spot heading to the spring. I know fans love to speculate and try to predict the future in the offseason, but some of these posts are going off the deep end.

BM is faster and and a worse passer. I would think he is more likely to be a wr than Hill.
You are wrong... again.

BM has a better, more accurate arm. His problem isn't "passing" but decision making. He is too aggressive at times. He plays instinctive which is the exact opposite of JG's problem. He has less experience and development.

If they can't coach him up to make good decisions and go through progressions... then I don't want him any more than I want JG. But... HE IS JUST A FRESHMAN. I didn't write JG off until he earned it. I'll extend the same to Maurer.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Nice straw man. Even "smart" people don't always make it he correct decisions in every situation.

It became clear and obvious who the best QB for us was. Fans that looked at it with rationale saw it. So did the coaches and other players. Only the ones who just dont like JG didnt see it.

JG was the best in practice on a consistent basis. He out performed the others. Its just that simple. Was he really good? No. Far from it. But Pruitt consistently said JG gave us the best chance to win and he was right. You alng with other JG haters just dont like that fact.

No he didn’t. Everyone fell in love after that long TD vs UGA but outside of that play, he looked lost out there and it’s lucky he didnt have twice as many interceptions as he did.

Oh, and he’s very small, and can’t finish a game.

That said, he had confidence and moxie. If he was patient and took a red shirt year, he could be something down the line. But not now. Transferring is a mistake.
Yep.

If he didn't have the long TD against Georgia, or if he threw that ball in another game situation (i.e., at any other point than early in his first start), everybody here would be like "Good Lord he sucks." He came out guns blazing in his first start and that's affected people's view of him.

He threw 5 picks against 2 TDs and is lucky he didn't end up with about 10 picks total.

If Burrow can have a major jump in performance from one year to the next, then we really shouldn't count out any of the QBs on the roster. The second year under Chaney should provide a boost for the returning players and Bailey is a wildcard with massive potential. We're in a solid spot heading to the spring. I know fans love to speculate and try to predict the future in the offseason, but some of these posts are going off the deep end.

LSU hired an NFL passing game coordinator to help Burrow progress.

I am all but positive that JG cannot... for the very reasons that Burrow was successful. His decision making was spot on virtually every time. He anticipated better than any QB we've seen in a long time. That first TD pass to #1 the other night makes a GREAT illustration. He didn't wait for receivers to be open... he recognized they were going to be open and threw to a spot.

I don't know if any of the others can do it... but JG has pretty much proven over 4 years that he cannot.

You are wrong... again.

BM has a better, more accurate arm. His problem isn't "passing" but decision making. He is too aggressive at times. He plays instinctive which is the exact opposite of JG's problem. He has less experience and development.

If they can't coach him up to make good decisions and go through progressions... then I don't want him any more than I want JG. But... HE IS JUST A FRESHMAN. I didn't write JG off until he earned it. I'll extend the same to Maurer.
Hill is a better passer than Maurer.

Numbers don't lie. He was a million times better as a freshman.

We were not even talking JG. Just butting in with a bad take like usual.

Who knows what the Tweet means but him. I believe that he will have a idea were he stands after spring after watching HB. If HB impresses in Spring I believe he will move on. This is the story at all programs when a new QB comes in early.

No he didn’t. Everyone fell in love after that long TD vs UGA but outside of that play, he looked lost out there and it’s lucky he didnt have twice as many interceptions as he did.

Oh, and he’s very small, and can’t finish a game.

That said, he had confidence and moxie. If he was patient and took a red shirt year, he could be something down the line. But not now. Transferring is a mistake.
His mistakes are correctable if he puts in the time and effort.... and that wouldn't require a RS.

He's not small. That's a myth. The commonly reported weight for him is 193. That was his weight as a recruit. He spent several months in UT's S&C program between that time and when he played. He's 6'3" to 6'4".

Being bigger would help him take hits like the one that knocked him out of UGA. I have asked this before... but can you name the work out routine that keeps someone from getting a concussion or a pinched nerve in their neck?

Reactions: whodeycin85
Maurer is listed in the 190’s on a 6’3 frame. JG is 6’4 and looks about the same frame. BTW Burrow’s is 6’4 and looks about the same frame as JG.

Jarrett Guarantano 6' 4" 215
JT Shrout 6' 3" 213
Brian Maurer 6' 3" 193
Joe Burrows 6' 4" 216
Harrison Bailey 6' 4" 217

They are very similar, but but BM is over 20 lbs lighter than the other four in this list. Brian Maurer does not have enough body mass to play the kamikaze style he likes to play. Exciting to watch, but usually ends with a painful crunch.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Hill is a better passer than Maurer.
No. He simply isn't... but we both know why you would say that.

Numbers don't lie. He was a million times better as a freshman.
Numbers don't. YOU do. You parse them in a way that paints a picture that is not consistent with reality. But since stats mean "everything"... tell us about those last two performances by your idol.... against two bad defenses. Do you realize that only 3 FBS opponents scored less vs IU than UT? JG gave them 2 of their 7 interceptions.

After looking like he had finally come around... we saw the same old JG that got him benched vs Vandy and IU. He is holding the team back.

We were not even talking JG. Just butting in with a bad take like usual.
You are always talking about JG even when you aren't. You attack Maurer for two reasons. One is that he threatens JG's job.

Depends on the type of hit. The concussion without a doubt was not related to Maurer’s size. Also my opinions are my own and I recognize others may have a different opinion. That is how debates occur, trying to support your opinions.
If you frame it as an opinion, thats true. If you say "everyone else is simply wrong" as you often do, thats no longer a debate or an opinion. Its a juvenile statement that displays immaturity.

I do appreciate this post from you.. I may frame it and hang it in the house!

JT Shrout 6' 3" 213
Brian Maurer 6' 3" 193
Joe Burrows 6' 4" 216

They are very similar, but but BM is over 20 lbs lighter than the other four in this list. Brian Maurer does not have enough body mass to play the kamikaze style he likes to play. Exciting to watch, but usually ends with a painful crunch.
There are discrepancies in the weights depending on the source which has the information . JG was listed at 200 on a website I saw yesterday. Also I have saw stats that Maurer is now over 200. Regardless of which one is correct , JG and BM appear to be about the same size IMO.

I like BM, but every other SEC true freshman QB that got to play this year played better than him.
It depends on what you mean by "better" and which games you look at.

If you look at games where he played a real role in the outcome- UGA, MSU, Bama, and UK then you have a different picture than if you include trash time vs UF and UTC or getting a series vs Vandy and IU.

He has lots of issues. Not the least of his issues was being thrown out there sooner than he should have been because JG played so poorly. When you have a 4th year QB with 3 years starting experience... you shouldn't need to take the RS off a guy like Maurer.

JT Shrout 6' 3" 213
Brian Maurer 6' 3" 193
Joe Burrows 6' 4" 216

Problem is that weight was posted after his senior year in HS. He spent several months in UT's S&C before playing last fall. JG was listed at 200 lbs in '17. That's about what Maurer was.

Reactions: tn513
It became clear and obvious who the best QB for us was. Fans that looked at it with rationale saw it. So did the coaches and other players. Only the ones who just dont like JG didnt see it.

JG was the best in practice on a consistent basis. He out performed the others. Its just that simple. Was he really good? No. Far from it. But Pruitt consistently said JG gave us the best chance to win and he was right. You alng with other JG haters just dont like that fact.

Because throwing Maurer into the game when JG plays so poorly, and expecting him to clean up his after he spends the entire week with the 2nd team offense gives a fair representation of his skills as a QB?

Maurer’s issue is just a lack of snaps to feel comfortable. He was too high strung in his limited playing time. I believe he will settle down if he is not yanked after every incomplete pass or questionable decision. JG is given more of a leash.
He had plenty of snaps to not make some of the mistakes he was making.

Fully agreed that he will be better with more snaps but thats the same for any young QB. At the middle/end of the season where you can build success by winning several straight games we all know Pruitt and company were feeling the pressure to win now.

I think getting the wins is more important than giving more reps to inexperienced QBs to try to help them along. Nobody can really argue that JP was wrong to yank and plug QBs because it worked. We won those games.

VN Store

Back