Maurer? Portal bound?

So Maurer loses his job for interceptions, but JG just gets a time out?

gatorbowl.png
Both of Maurer’s incompletions should have been intercepted. They hit IU defenders in the hands.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Now pull their stats from the entire season and you'll have your answer
If JG had Maurer’s stat line this year, he’d already be at Rutgers because he would never take another snap here. Completing less than half your passes and throwing more than twice as many interceptions as touchdowns is not a formula for success, true freshman or not.

I've seen no evidence that BM has a better or more accurate arm. JG's problem is not accuracy or arm strength. He can make all the throws. The problem with JG is he does not throw the ball at the right time. A good QB will throw the ball before or when the receiver is making his cut. JG is just too late making the read. Mauer does not read the defense at all. He picks a receiver and throws the ball, regardless of coverage. Right now, both are really bad.
He showed you his accuracy on the pick 6 in the bowl game...i mean for FS. It was 3-5 yards behind the WR...if he even gets it near Jennings its a completion thats how open he was. Lol. Yall are crazy

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Compare thier top 25 vs stats before writing of BM. Better yet. What about just his starts. Which included agaunst the 3 touchest teams we faced all season....not cupcakes like UTC and GA st to pad stats
If JG had Maurer’s stat line this year, he’d already be at Rutgers because he would never take another snap here. Completing less than half your passes and throwing more than twice as many interceptions as touchdowns is not a formula for success, true freshman or not.

JG is what he is and that's not going to be good enough to get us where we want to go next year. Maurer and Shrout were freshman that played like a freshman. I really don't know what we have in Hill. The QB debate reminds me of trying to pick out your cleanest pair of dirty drawers. The hope is that Bailey will come in and settle this thing. Yeah, he's a freshman but being an EE helps a lot.

Maurer couldnt win the starting job out right. If he could have, he would have been the starter. JG consistently played better in practice. The coaches got to see more from Maurer than any of us. They picked JG as the man for a reason. Its really that simple.
He did win the starting job, as a true freshman over a 4th year player.....became the starter after Guarantano stunk it up through the Florida game. Based off of actual game play rather than just practice. Maurer started the Georgia game and played the best half of football of any Tennessee QB in 2019. Obviously, the injuries led to him losing the job. And remember, even after the injuries, when he was healthy again, he started vs Kentucky as well, played the first half and got into a good rhythm in the 2nd quarter before being pulled at halftime for some reason.

He had no shot last year or next year. JG has something on the coach.

Wrong. Put yourself in Pruitts shoes for a second. First, you see these guys infinitely more than fans do. You see them at practice day in and day out. From practice reports we received from Fingers, virtually every practice showed JG was the better QB. Now if you are the HC how do you handle it? Do you say well this QB wasnt as good in practice but should be better in game?

Pruitt stuck with the best QB he had. And it worked out to our benefit.

Reactions: irish1485
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Especially considering that one of JG's interceptions was a pick-6.

Not when you're trying to project future results. Those passes were nearly unforgivable even though they luckily hit the ground.

When you are grading a QB what is worse: a throw that hit the WR in the hands but is deflected for an INT or a pass into double coverage that is dropped because the two defenders run into each other?

BM is faster and and a worse passer. I would think he is more likely to be a wr than Hill.
Nobody can be a “worse” passer compared to JG. I have not seen all of the bad Qb’s at UT over the years but JG and Dormady are the most inaccurate passers I have seen in my recollections of watching UT football.

Reactions: whodeycin85
I'll say this... it will be very interesting to see if any of our QBs can take a big leap in the second year under the same OC and an OL that should be solid. I want to compete with UF and GA for the SEC next year, and I don't see that happening with a true freshman QB. I really want to see one of the 4 on the roster take a huge step forward, and I don't care which one.

He did win the starting job, as a true freshman over a 4th year player.....became the starter after Guarantano stunk it up through the Florida game. Based off of actual game play rather than just practice. Maurer started the Georgia game and played the best half of football of any Tennessee QB in 2019. Obviously, the injuries led to him losing the job. And remember, even after the injuries, when he was healthy again, he started vs Kentucky as well, played the first half and got into a good rhythm in the 2nd quarter before being pulled at halftime for some reason.

He was given a shot. Did he really out right win it? We really dont know for sure. With Maurer, people are going off a few good plays. And they were good no doubt. But time and time again, Pruitt went with JG. Why?

In the UK game? Maurer had 5 drives. 3 3 and outs and 2 decent drives that led to 3 points. The game was at Lexington and you wonder why Maurer was pulled? Because he wasnt getting it done. What happens when JG came in? Boom. The only 2 TDs of the game. JGs performance against Missouri was better than one half of the UGA game. Remember, that same UGA team got beat by SC. A team that JG beat.

Nobody can be a “worse” passer compared to JG. I have not seen all of the bad Qb’s at UT over the years but JG and Dormady are the most inaccurate passers I have seen in my recollections of watching UT football.

What about Crompton before he turned it around?

How do you know? He hasn’t hurt his chances. Showed promise.

He has showed some promise with his legs but he has already had two possible concussions in very limited playing time. His passing ability is worse than JG's and that isn't saying much. He is most effective when he is a threat to run the ball and with his health issues I am not sure how durable he is. If you take that away, what are you left with?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Pull up a chair and let me tell you about Randy Sanders, Sterling Hinton, Joey Matthews, the 1st year and a half of Jonathan Crompton, Nick Stephens, BJ Coleman, AJ Suggs and Matt Simms.

I'll say this... it will be very interesting to see if any of our QBs can take a big leap in the second year under the same OC and an OL that should be solid. I want to compete with UF and GA for the SEC next year, and I don't see that happening with a true freshman QB. I really want to see one of the 4 on the roster take a huge step forward, and I don't care which one.

Agree. I think too many on here are just expecting Bailey to walk in and be a stud from day 1. If this were the ACC, PAC 12 or Big 10 then I would expect the same. The SEC is just a much tougher place to play. I think the ideal scenario is for Bailey to RS and one of our QBs really step it up and take command this year.

I dont care who the QB is as long as they progress.

Not when you're trying to project future results. Those passes were nearly unforgivable even though they luckily hit the ground.

When you are grading a QB what is worse: a throw that hit the WR in the hands but is deflected for an INT or a pass into double coverage that is dropped because the two defenders run into each other?

So you want to go back tally up JG's near interceptions, and underthrown passes since they could have been picked off and weigh them accordingly since he was a RS JR? Because if that's how you want to project future results, then we are in a world of hurt with JG returning next year since we are losing most of the receivers that could actually catch his passes.

Reactions: whodeycin85

VN Store

Back