Maurer? Portal bound?

All of these will typically break down into two sides and a caveat.

You have a few who think JG is a great QB handicapped by everyone else. These folks largely see Maurer as a threat to their near cult like devotion to JG. So... they attack Maurer unreasonably. They use double standards and twist facts, stats, and logic in perverse ways.

Then you have a group who recognizes to one extent or another JG is a flawed, ineffective, and unsuccessful QB. By and large this group just wants to see great play from the QB position and no longer believes JG can provide it. Few if any in this group have anything like a cult like devotion to BM... but end up defending him a lot. Pretty much all recognize that Maurer played both good and bad during the season. He has potential but has NOT proven he's the answer yet.

The caveat are those who have already pushed all in on Bailey. Generally they know JG is limited but are willing for him to be the seat warmer. They'll take shots at Maurer but for the most part just assume Bailey will make everyone else an afterthought. Basically... they'd probably say there is no valid reason to debate JG or JG vs Maurer since HB is the coming messiah.

It's a simple solution. With Georgia and UF's looming weakness, with OU being down, with Alabama being down even by their standards, with the scheduling of those teams compared to ours, you have to win next year. JG has the most (albeit bad) experience. UGA/UF/AL will be loaded in '21. I'd rather BM or HB take their hits now to prepare them for that certainty. What do you say if your CJP if you start JG this year, and you win eight games and don't get BM or HB any experience?

Reactions: cgrish
I'm sure you've analysed this closer than I have. The only time I really remember Maurer being exposed were the endzone picks against Mississippi State. The first one in particular you could tell he was dead set on throwing to the slot in the corner and never saw the underneath guy coming off the split end.

If it's possible for there to be degrees of bad throws, the thing I like about Maurer is when he did get picked it was a throw in rhythm but trying to make a play in the wrong place. Probably a dumb way to look at it, but I'd rather see a quick bad decision than a guy who holds it and panics.
I May have because I’m a film junkie but I’ve done the same with JG. But you’re 100% correct. The first int vs MSU was an extremely bad decision because MC was wide open underneath. That goes back to my arguments that a freshman needs time to learn the system so he KNOWS where his check downs are as opposed to having to find them mid play. Which is why you look at a freshmans senior year of hs to determine if the mistakes he made is natural to him or a lack of knowledge of a new system. His highlights show him in the exact situation at times and he takes the check down as well as going through progressions on nearly every play. All within an average of 2.3 seconds from snap to sack if he didn’t make a move.

I think it’s clear now that he was concussed on the 2ng int vs MSU. Hard to blame him given that fact but that decision was even worse.

What makes Maurer who he is and imo the most dangerous qb on our roster (including HB) is his ability to improvise when the play breaks down as well as his speed in the open field. He’s every bit as accurate as anyone from within the pocket as well. The play vs Indiana is a perfect example of this. Busted play on third down, directing traffic and throwing a dime on the run to the sideline. As a freshman it’s coming in what we call “flashes”. If he had a coaching staff that believes in him and willing to ride him out through his mistakes, as a junior those “flashes” become the norm and Bo Nix has now become the measuring stick of the effects of Pruitts decisions now.

Reactions: GAVol and cgrish
It's a simple solution. With Georgia and UF's looming weakness, with OU being down, with Alabama being down even by their standards, with the scheduling of those teams compared to ours, you have to win next year. JG has the most (albeit bad) experience. UGA/UF/AL will be loaded in '21. I'd rather BM or HB take their hits now to prepare them for that certainty. What do you say if your CJP if you start JG this year, and you win eight games and don't get BM or HB any experience?
Can you clarify that question a little? I think it is an interesting discussion but want to be clear on what you're saying.

In reality, JG is a RS Junior who only managed to throw 15 TDs during regulation during his 4th year of college ball, and BM is a true freshman who spent most of the off-season and the actual season practicing with the second team offense. You can't even begin to gauge them equally on their results given the amount of time and resources that have been spent on JG to try to make him a successful SEC QB.

In reality, he is not, and without a miracle, will never play at a high enough level to be a successful SEC QB.

I just hope jg doesn't get most of the snaps to 1st string in practice as he has been, actually got all of the 1st string snaps except for when other qb started, which was I think 2 or 3 games. This time needs to be given to the others as well until they can decide who is going to be the starter. Imo we have too many qb on the roster to really get enough snaps for all of them to determine how good they are.

Maurer only stays if he thinks he can beat out Bailey or thinks he gets a shot.

Personally, I don’t think he gets a true shot.

With JG returning I see him leaving and can’t blame him.

The word you're looking for is 'liar'.
Not comprehensive enough. A liar is more often than not conscious that they're lying. Some people are so deeply dishonest... that they're convinced that lies are the truth. I think that's where k-town lives most of the time. He truly believes that the 30 something sacks JG took as a RS Fr in half a season make him a better QB than Mauer who threw 5 picks... at least one of which should have been caught.

He genuinely believes that tearing down a true Fr somehow makes objective criticisms of a RS Jr less accurate.

I like Pruitt. I think he made a reasonable decision that didn't work. When you are a leader, that's going to happen. I would be much more concerned about Pruitt if he had just kind of let it ride. Indecision IMO is worse than a bad decision in almost every case.

Fair enough.
And, I should have made clearer that I was more concerned with the previous season - the original decision - and what appeared a different "handling" of the two quarterbacks. I saw Bill Battle when I watched Pruitt conversing with Guarantano; I saw Mike Ditka when he conversed with the Stanford transfer. Granted, he did go Ditka with Guarantano during the Alabama game, which strongly suggests (to me at least) that he had "let it ride" a little too long ...that his "leadership" had been lacking; that it caught up to the both of them. The "sneak" was an undisciplined decision, with little regard for the ramifications. Again, the good "leader" had ample time - almost two full seasons - to sort such things out.
I will stipulate, however, that his (Coach Pruitt's) plate is pretty full, that having been in a few leadership roles (certainly on a smaller scale) I realize it's a easier to coach from the keyboard; further, I think he'll be a reasonable-to-very successful Head Coach.
I really enjoy your posts.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

Pray tell what is UF's looming weakness? It certainly isn't coaching or offense.

Maurer only stays if he thinks he can beat out Bailey or thinks he gets a shot.

Personally, I don’t think he gets a true shot.

With JG returning I see him leaving and can’t blame him.
That would be a bad outcome for UT. Not only would they lose a potentially great QB... the chemistry in the QB room would change. While we have declared war on each other, the 3 QB's have been pretty amazing. Give JG a ton of credit on that one. They've apparently competed but supported each other. JG could have blown that thing up when he was benched but proved he has matured as a person by working hard and supporting the coaches and other two guys.

We don't really know what a guy like HB brings to that room. Will he have some prima donna in him? Maybe the others won't like him or vice versa.

If the two most serious candidates are JG and HB... we do not know how that will play out in the locker room.

Fair enough.
And, I should have made clearer that I was more concerned with the previous season - the original decision - and what appeared a different "handling" of the two quarterbacks. I saw Bill Battle when I watched Pruitt conversing with Guarantano; I saw Mike Ditka when he conversed with the Stanford transfer. Granted, he did go Ditka with Guarantano during the Alabama game, which strongly suggests (to me at least) that he had "let it ride" a little too long ...that his "leadership" had been lacking; that it caught up to the both of them. The "sneak" was an undisciplined decision, with little regard for the ramifications. Again, the good "leader" had ample time - almost two full seasons - to sort such things out.
I will stipulate, however, that his (Coach Pruitt's) plate is pretty full, that having been in a few leadership roles (certainly on a smaller scale) I realize it's a easier to coach from the keyboard; further, I think he'll be a reasonable-to-very successful Head Coach.
I really enjoy your posts.
I think he might have tried to act out of character with JG because his confidence seemed so fragile. You could be right in that respect. Either way, he seems to be past that.

Can you clarify that question a little? I think it is an interesting discussion but want to be clear on what you're saying.

My point is this. If you start JG and you win eight-regular-season games next season (or imho the base level should be at least 9), then starting JG was a gigantic mistake. To illustrate my point. Let's say you start JG, and the Vols go 8-4. We just blew an opportunity where our conference opponents were collectively the most vulnerable. The starting of JG doesn't accomplish anything. If JG is the guy to get us to a two-loss season, then start him and tell guys like me to shut up. I don't think he that guy. It's not a matter of who proved what, statistics, or eyeball tests, it's a matter of whether you can win the SECe (ot at least ten regular season games) next year with JG. If not, start the other guys. I don't think UT can win the SECe with JG. So If if the vols went four losses with HB or BM, I'd be much more understanding.

Reactions: sona and 24/7vol
Pray tell what is UF's looming weakness? It certainly isn't coaching or offense.

Defense. Losing their three best players. Also losing their WRs, and their best RB. Offense production is gone. Jaws disagrees with me, but I think UF/UGA/AL are all down next year.

My point is this. If you start JG and you win eight-regular-season games next season (or imho the base level should be at least 9), then starting JG was a gigantic mistake. To illustrate my point. Let's say you start JG, and the Vols go 8-4. We just blew an opportunity where our conference opponents were collectively the most vulnerable. The starting of JG doesn't accomplish anything. If JG is the guy to get us to a two-loss season, then start him and tell guys like me to shut up. I don't think he that guy. It's not a matter of who proved what, statistics, or eyeball tests, it's a matter of whether you can win the SECe (ot at least ten regular season games) next year with JG. If not, start the other guys. I don't think UT can win the SECe with JG. So If if the vols went four losses with HB or BM, I'd be much more understanding.
Very reasonable point. I tend to think I would have invested in Maurer and Shrout this past season rather than JG. Maybe UT wins more games... or maybe less.

The problem is that a coach can't truly know. They may believe JG can get them to 10. In general, coaches tend to think younger guys are more risky. What if he had a losing season with HB or BM? What if he won 9 games with JG playing mediocre and making key mistakes that cost the Vols the East?

Defense. Losing their three best players. Also losing their WRs, and their best RB. Offense production is gone. Jaws disagrees with me, but I think UF/UGA/AL are all down next year.
I think Bama goes back to Saban's roots with power running and an improved D.

I hate UF but Mullen is a very good coach and they've got talented depth.

UGA is an enigma. I'm not sure that Smart isn't morphing into Richt with bad hair and a stupid looking visor. They're loaded. But they were last year when limping to the finish. Good players like Mays leaving can never be a good sign.

You are basing that assumption on what exactly?

I think he's just giving a hypothetical... not guaranteeing wins.

I'm just trying to figure out what he's seen in the last two seasons, that make him think that we have 8 definite wins on the schedule considering that JG is losing his 1st, 3,rd, and 4th passing targets, and has yet to lead the offense to more than 30 points against a P5 opponent one time in his career. Assuming that we win all of our OOC games except Oklahoma, we still need 5 SEC wins. Given what we've seen the last two seasons, I don't see 5 guaranteed wins with JG under center even with Missouri and Arkansas breaking in new coaches.

That would be a bad outcome for UT. Not only would they lose a potentially great QB... the chemistry in the QB room would change. While we have declared war on each other, the 3 QB's have been pretty amazing. Give JG a ton of credit on that one. They've apparently competed but supported each other. JG could have blown that thing up when he was benched but proved he has matured as a person by working hard and supporting the coaches and other two guys.

We don't really know what a guy like HB brings to that room. Will he have some prima donna in him? Maybe the others won't like him or vice versa.

If the two most serious candidates are JG and HB... we do not know how that will play out in the locker room.

When has our QB play been amazing this year with any of the 3.

Maybe we had a really nice drive during a game but then the next stretch was total garbage.

The Indiana game was close cause JG couldn’t hit a player in stride at all for the first 3 and half quarters.

Dobbs, Casey, Ainge, Peyton, Shuler takes this exact same team to a 9 win season at worst and probably a 10 win season with wins over Bama and maybe even Fl.

Casey would hsve run this Bama team out of the building we played.

It's not an assumption. It's a possibility. JG hasn't done anything me to consider else. If that happens, then we have not taken advantage of our circumstances.

You haven't seen anything in the last two seasons that make you think that less than 8 wins is possible with JG as the starting QB in 2020?

Wow.

You haven't seen anything in the last two seasons that make you think that less than 8 wins is possible with JG as the starting QB in 2020?

Wow.

Huh? You are just illustrating my point. The team should win nine-regular season games next year. I believe they should win ten. If JG can't do that, then there is no point starting him. What are you talking about?

I got some ocean front property I'd like to sell you here in PA..

Piffle. My friend, the true real estate opportunity is the exclusive resort property on the 38th parallel - virgin land, the likes of which hasn't been seen since man discovered fire, and it can be shaped into the greatest resource for rejuvenation that can be imagined! What's that? No, no... Clearing the land mines will note be a problem. Heck, if there was a problem, the wildlife would not be so abundant!

Before we can send the evidence to committee, we are awaiting the results of the debate. Woodsman Vol and SJT are still in discussions, and I'm already lost. It's gonna be a minute.......
Got nothing but time! Uh, how much longer? Break’s almost over.

VN Store

Back