Maurer? Portal bound?

You don't put up the numbers that Maurer did in HS and not have talent. VN just needs to be patient and let time and our coaching staff do their trick. If he does indeed transfer, which I hope he doesn't, I believe VN will regret not keeping him in the fold.

Reactions: 1vol8
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is Maurer's health going forward. I think he's going to struggle wit concussion-based issues for the foreseeable future.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is Maurer's health going forward. I think he's going to struggle wit concussion-based issues for the foreseeable future.
I'm not sure how much of his issues last year were concussion related. It looked like his bell was rung a few times, but they haven't ever really confirmed whether it was concussions or a neck injury that caused him too miss time.

Exactly. *And, to be clear, I am no authority on QBs; I once spent our first week of junior varsity practice ...just trying to determine which of our several “candidates” could consistently take a snap and pivot (evidently it isn’t as easy as it appears).
But, to your point, Coach Pruitt actually made that particular statement (....that he didn’t want his QB looking over his shoulder) in announcing Jarrett Guarantano the starter the previous season. Which, to my way of thinking, was naive. A huge red flag. The QB, of all the positions, in all of sports, should know first and foremost, that every play he makes (or doesn’t make) can change a game, or to some extent, the season. And, yes, he could win, or lose playing time based on such decisions. It’s tuff out there!
Or, Coach Pruitt is actually much smarter than he “lets on,” as some say. Perhaps he is the first to realize the “delicacy” of the situation.
FWIW, I think both our Coach and QB have been slow to mature.
I like Pruitt. I think he made a reasonable decision that didn't work. When you are a leader, that's going to happen. I would be much more concerned about Pruitt if he had just kind of let it ride. Indecision IMO is worse than a bad decision in almost every case.

You don't put up the numbers that Maurer did in HS and not have talent. VN just needs to be patient and let time and our coaching staff do their trick. If he does indeed transfer, which I hope he doesn't, I believe VN will regret not keeping him in the fold.
Why would WE “regret” it? WE aren’t making decisions on here. 😏

Being fair to only go back to say... Kelly due to the changes in the speed of the game... which of these players do you think JG would have started in front of? Kelly, Shuler, Manning, Martin, Clausen, Ainge, Bray, Dobbs? Frankly, I think he sits behind Crompton.
I'm not saying he should start or not start, i'm simply pointing out that some fans go nuts about the QB position to the extreme.

I would argue Crompton in 2008 was similar to JG

I'm not saying he should start or not start, i'm simply pointing out that some fans go nuts about the QB position to the extreme.

I would argue Crompton in 2008 was similar to JG
Crompton was a train wreck until the UGA game in his senior season. JG has had promising performances since his RS freshman season.

BM is not accurate and turns the ball over at a ridiculous rate even for a freshman. These are indisputable FACTS. Anything else is nonsense.
You are one of the most ignorant posters I've encountered in 14 years on this board. That... is an indisputable fact.

You are wrong. Completely wrong... or else you don't know the definition of words.

Give you a prime example. One of BM's interceptions was perfectly thrown to Jennings. JJ bobbled it directly into the hands of a defender. Perfectly accurate throw... turned INT.

Here's another. One of BM's INT's vs MSU was an attempt to hit JJ in the corner of the end zone. It was a very well designed play. JJ had drawn both defenders off leaving Callaway standing on the 4 yard line for an easy catch and score. Maurer tried to force the ball into coverage. It was an accurate pass but a very bad read and decision that turned into a pick.

You are a fundamentally dishonest person. You hate Maurer because he threatens your idol... because he beat your idol out before being injured. Same reasons you hated Dormady. Your delusional cult worship of JG prevents you from seeing anything clearly. You have an obsession to make Maurer look worse than he is regardless of context or reality. On the other side, you are devoted to an image of JG that has very little tether to reality.

Clicked on thread to see if any updates on Maurer’s plans. . .

Fell into a wormhole that took me right back to the BM vs. JG threads.
The short answer is that no one knows what it means.

For my part, if he leaves I wish him well. If he stays I hope he improves enough to claim the job... or that HB does... or Shrout or Hill or Holiday do.

My agenda is for UT to have winning QB play. We have not gotten that from JG.

Clicked on thread to see if any updates on Maurer’s plans. . .

Fell into a wormhole that took me right back to the BM vs. JG threads.
If we can determine that Maurer was inaccurate (even for a freshman), then our committees can convene and we can make him transfer. Cuz...that’s what we do on here. 😉

Reactions: Rickyvol77
BM is not accurate and turns the ball over at a ridiculous rate even for a freshman. These are indisputable FACTS. Anything else is nonsense.
You have this idea he’s inaccurate yet you’re clueless on what “accuracy” actually is. His stats that you live to hug are incredibly misleading. 2 of his 5 ints hit HIS receivers in the chest, in stride. 3 were just bad decisions over a 2 game period throwing 60% of his snaps and one CAN be argued that Palmer stumbling on his route caused the overthrow and int. Many of his incomplete passes were throw aways and drops. Your “stats” mean s*** so you need to stop. His 5 ints could EASILY be 2 or even 1 if not for extenuating circumstances.

You have this idea he’s inaccurate yet you’re clueless on what “accuracy” actually is. His stats that you live to hug are incredibly misleading. 2 of his 5 ints hit HIS receivers in the chest, in stride. 3 were just bad decisions over a 2 game period throwing 60% of his snaps and one CAN be argued that Palmer stumbling on his route caused the overthrow and int. Many of his incomplete passes were throw aways and drops. Your “stats” mean s*** so you need to stop. His 5 ints could EASILY be 2 or even 1 if not for extenuating circumstances.
Drops and interceptions that “aren’t their fault” count in stats for a reason. Because they happen to EVERY QUARTERBACK.

If we can determine that Maurer was inaccurate (even for a freshman), then our committees can convene and we can make him transfer. Cuz...that’s what we do on here. 😉

Before we can send the evidence to committee, we are awaiting the results of the debate. Woodsman Vol and SJT are still in discussions, and I'm already lost. It's gonna be a minute.......

Drops and interceptions that “aren’t their fault” count in stats for a reason. Because they happen to EVERY QUARTERBACK.
I know. Not arguing his stats are not accurate by any means. My argument is KTowns lack of knowledge of what “accuracy” actually is vs decision making. But your point is EXACTLY why stats are so misleading on a qb with limited sample size.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
2 of his 5 ints hit HIS receivers in the chest, in stride.

I think we know now why the receivers had trouble with those catches. They must've been stunned to see that a ball could be thrown right to their chests like that. Probably hasn't seen one of those throws in a couple of years.

I have the usual facts and data. The rest of you are making up gobbledegook

Anytime you find yourself thinking you are the only right one and everyone else is wrong/uninformed/inferior compared to you, it's a good clue that you are in Delusionville. Pride is using your narcissism to isolate you. That's a dangerous world you live in.

*sigh* "But if ONLY everyone else would come up to my level…they'd all see how RIGHT I clearly am"

His 5 ints could EASILY be 2 or even 1 if not for extenuating circumstances.
I'm sure you've analysed this closer than I have. The only time I really remember Maurer being exposed were the endzone picks against Mississippi State. The first one in particular you could tell he was dead set on throwing to the slot in the corner and never saw the underneath guy coming off the split end.

If it's possible for there to be degrees of bad throws, the thing I like about Maurer is when he did get picked it was a throw in rhythm but trying to make a play in the wrong place. Probably a dumb way to look at it, but I'd rather see a quick bad decision than a guy who holds it and panics. Probably bodes well for Maurer because I'd think it's easier to learn to read differently than it is to read faster.

I think we know now why the receivers had trouble with those catches. They must've been stunned to see that a ball could be thrown right to their chests like that. Probably hasn't seen one of those throws in a couple of years.
I see what you did there 😁. Dude just gets on my nerves with all his “stats” and lack of understanding.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol

VN Store

Back