Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

The team will be better next year because of at the moment two great transfers,a more seasoned class from the freshmen class especially Striplin now that she got in games that were meaningful she will work this off-season to make sure she's a major contributor.JH will play like a NPOY candidate.i expect Darby to work and have a better offensive game because what her game is now playing time might be lacking for her Pissott is the shot maker we haven't had in awhile.my only concern really is Key will she be force or not. hopefully she works hard this summer on post moves and develop a killer instinct but this is a final 4 team assembled for next season no excuses.

That would be great… I really want this to be true…
But losing Rae and not seeing defensive intensity plus such poor ball Handling, lack of toughness, and really lack of coaching is very concerning..

I think the Louisville coach today 100% out coached Harper and that’s not a good sign really.. Kelly looked like a zombie on the sidelines, and the team on defense was sleepwalking…

If Kelly is going to coach like this she needs much better assistants bc/ it doesn’t look 👀 right..

Judging Kyra is kinda ehh. Mitchell just up and quits like two weeks before the start of the 20’ season and on top of that the games being canceled due to Covid that year. This was like truly her 1st full coaching season. Also, those Kentucky players in the portal aren’t really difference makers. Those girls couldn’t shoot a lick, respectfully.

Reactions: glv98
Just as your internet opinion

Correct. You finally got something right. You are posting that you’re 100% sure she isn’t the right coach. To do what exactly? Win a championship every year? Minimum make the tourney and give us a run each year? Yep. She can do that.

The team will be better next year because of at the moment two great transfers,a more seasoned class from the freshmen class especially Striplin now that she got in games that were meaningful she will work this off-season to make sure she's a major contributor.JH will play like a NPOY candidate.i expect Darby to work and have a better offensive game because what her game is now playing time might be lacking for her Pissott is the shot maker we haven't had in awhile.my only concern really is Key will she be force or not. hopefully she works hard this summer on post moves and develop a killer instinct but this is a final 4 team assembled for next season no excuses.

And yea there are going to be excuses just like this year trust me… defense and rebounding win championships… so apparently our rebounding was good, but our defense was so bad my 9 yo son said our defense sucked.

Reactions: vettefool
Kyra is a bad example to look to considering Kentucky's lack luster season with a player of the year candidate, first-round loss in the NCAA tournament and 5 players transferring out this season. After next season, she will be lucky to retain her job unless she can turn that ship around.
Not looking to Kyra, just stating what she claimed helped their offense when they were on their run.

Reactions: Dak1219
Hopefully the transfer point guard will help with the to's. If we take care of the ball today, the game would of come down to the wire, even without Horston

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I'm seeing posters who are never on this board.Just taking shots at Kellie. I for one am proud of the effort!!! Healthy Horston we win that game!
And obviously, posters that don't even follow women's basketball. Someone said we were a horrible rebounding and defensive team. We currently sit as the number 3 ranked rebounding and defensive percentage team in division 1 women's basketball and have the 5th strongest strength of schedule. Those numbers were gotten against some of the best competition all year long. There are Dumb comments all over the place in this thread.

I don’t understand what everyone is so pissed about when it comes to CKJH’s coaching. I feel she did an amazing job under the circumstances. With a fully healthy team they go at least to the final four! Remember most of you didn’t even think we’d get this far..

And obviously, posters that don't even follow women's basketball. Someone said we were a horrible rebounding and defensive team. We currently sit as the number 3 ranked rebounding and defensive percentage team in division 1 women's basketball and have the 5th strongest strength of schedule. Those numbers were gotten against some of the best competition all year long. There are Dumb comments all over the place in this thread.

Just bc you don’t agree doesn’t make the comments dumb…. We sucked in the last 10 minutes or whenever we were down by 2 until the end of the game.

Our offense is pretty good. Our rebounding was kinda weak. Key is 6’6” and either was getting pushed around or couldn’t even get an O rebound and then put up a shot. She played weak and soft.

Our defense sucked and wasn’t even there. Who cares how good we were all year? When it counted we are awful. Turnovers, inbounds.. defense. Offensive rebounds then putbacks? Nearly none…

Why can’t a girl 6’6” get an O board and a bucket? Bc she’s not tough…

This team does not look well coached. Not against a real good opponent..

I don’t understand what everyone is so pissed about when it comes to CKJH’s coaching. I feel she did an amazing job under the circumstances. With a fully healthy team they go at least to the final four! Remember most of you didn’t even think we’d get this far..
AND every single problem every Harper critic is boo hooing over has already been successfully addressed in what turned out to be a stellar recruiting year for her. A true PG, a big time, much sought after scorer, and one of the best h.s. 3 pt shooters about covers the needs. Plus she has almost everyone back.

Just as importantly, she has built, and this team exemplifies, a really good cultural foundation to grow the rising program on.

I think she's done a really good job this year. Very exciting prospects for next year.

It is mostly lurkers and football fans who are always quick to jump on the LVs and their woman head coach. It's a very predictable pattern. For this team to weather the injuries this season and accomplish what they did is a testament to the culture that KJH is creating. Everybody but the eventual champion is going to get eliminated in this tournament. Losing a game does not suddenly make you a bad coach. It is idiocy of the highest order to condemn Kellie for the job she did this season (on top of her recruiting success no less).

And yea there are going to be excuses just like this year trust me… defense and rebounding win championships… so apparently our rebounding was good, but our defense was so bad my 9 yo son said our defense sucked.
Yea defense was bad Louisville 1-4 could all dribble and penetrate and get there own basket our young ladies didnt want to exert the energy it took to defend them

Yea defense was bad Louisville 1-4 could all dribble and penetrate and get there own basket our young ladies didnt want to exert the energy it took to defend them

Right… that’s on the coaches… defense is mostly effort…our girls are standing straight up, not bending down low like Pat had them do…

They played “Holly” defense… legs straight and let offense run right around them.

Why not switch to a zone? To a freak defense? Our D sucked the big one tonight..

AND every single problem every Harper critic is boo hooing over has already been successfully addressed in what turned out to be a stellar recruiting year for her. A true PG, a big time, much sought after scorer, and one of the best h.s. 3 pt shooters about covers the needs. Plus she has almost everyone back.

Just as importantly, she has built, and this team exemplifies, a really good cultural foundation to grow the rising program on.

I think she's done a really good job this year. Very exciting prospects for next year.

We lose several from this team. So the need to recruit some serious talent was there and she got it done thru the portal and incoming class.

I do agree that we play sloppy at times… the defensive intensity seems to fall off as they had way too many set/open threes.

Reactions: Deebowbear
Just bc you don’t agree doesn’t make the comments dumb…. We sucked in the last 10 minutes or whenever we were down by 2 until the end of the game.

Our offense is pretty good. Our rebounding was kinda weak. Key is 6’6” and either was getting pushed around or couldn’t even get an O rebound and then put up a shot. She played weak and soft.

Our defense sucked and wasn’t even there. Who cares how good we were all year? When it counted we are awful. Turnovers, inbounds.. defense. Offensive rebounds then putbacks? Nearly none…

Key had 10 rebounds, of which 5 offensive rebounds. She scored only 3 points, and that's a problem.

Harper has got to improve our offensive efficiency and reduce the turnovers--which are a huge problem. We have the same offensive problems we've had going back to late Summitt---too sloppy, not a good passing team, not a good 3-point shooting team. Next year is year 4--a no excuses year, IMO. She should set a target of no more than 10 TOs a game and be a hard-a$$ about reaching it. This 15/20 TOs a game has got to stop.

Key had 10 rebounds, of which 5 offensive rebounds. She scored only 3 points, and that's a problem.

Harper has got to improve our offensive efficiency and reduce the turnovers--which are a huge problem. We have the same offensive problems we've had going back to late Summitt---too sloppy, not a good passing team, not a good 3-point shooting team. Next year is year 4--a no excuses year, IMO. She should set a target of no more than 10 TOs a game and be a hard-a$$ about reaching it. This 15/20 TOs a game has got to stop.

Yea I agree… turnovers killed us… Also invisible defense at times was insane.. no intensity or pride in defense…

Key gets boards but cannot even get up a shot and draw a foul and make any free throws… it was pointless.. she’s not tough right now at all…

That big white girl made our girls look like wimps.. So many bad passes… cannot inbounds…

Even with these players coming in I don’t see it… these coaches hv to improve and get alot tougher on these girls….

I think we had enough talent to win this game but we are not a well coached unit… not at all…

Last edited:
I don't really feel that given we have Jackson and Powell coming in next year, along with Pissott.

Don't forget Marta Suarez coming back from her injury...
5b573a9d-f608-4047-9a95-c5263e112df7-KNS-LadyVols_Georgia_hoops_BP_27.jpg

Reactions: madtownvol
I think the coaching staff took this team--with its several missing pieces--as far as it could go. Basketball is the ultimate "rock/paper/scissors" competition. Given the players we lost, this was an incomplete team. Schemes and over-achieving individual performances can only cover up inherent weaknesses so long. We showed up in the Sweet 16 with a "rock" that was just hastily hardened clay--and Louisville arrived with the millstone to smash it.

There's no humiliation in that. In truth, I thought we overachieved to defeat that Belmont team.

Task one of a head coach is assembling a team that has all the raw components to potentially achieve success against a variety of opponents. I think Harper did that. Some seasons you just don't get to use all the tools you left the hardware store carrying.

People here who know more than I seem to think next year's components will be an upgrade. That sounds like Kellie's doing just what you hire coaches to do.

Outrebounding a number 1 seed 52 - 36 is weak? Key had 10 of those rebounds by the way..

I’ve said before and I’ll say again. We play lazy and lackadaisical. Some days are better than others but not winning basketball. Maybe we should learn how to hand the ball off, because damn sure can’t pass without stupid turnovers. Fire away, know I’m a dreaded nega vol but what I said is true. No fire in their bellies to win

Reactions: Deebowbear
This team missed Jordan Horston on the court tremendously! Take away Van Lith and tell me who comes out on top? UT will no longer be a pushover/predictable team. CKJH is in this for long haul and so is her team!

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
I’ve said before and I’ll say again. We play lazy and lackadaisical. Some days are better than others but not winning basketball. Maybe we should learn how to hand the ball off, because damn sure can’t pass without stupid turnovers. Fire away, know I’m a dreaded nega vol but what I said is true. No fire in their bellies to win

You seem to have mistaken repetitiveness for insight....

Reactions: ruvol

VN Store

Back