Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Up and quit? Didn’t he suffer a head injury?
Yeah, had surgery that summer. Came back and was running practices and quit two weeks before games began. I think Kyra had the notion he was coaching the season. When his injury happened I don’t she thought she was going to take over the whole program that soon. Probably was only expecting to keep the ship afloat until he was healthy enough to come back.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Agreed. Don’t need her to be like Pat. Her job is head basketball coach, not best friend. I am 57 and having watched and supported Tennessee athletics since I was around 10, I know when something looks right or not. Most of our girls do not play with a passion or pride to wear that power T. If we just want a team that finishes top 2-3 in sec every year and makes the tournament to be sent home in the first or second round every year. Then we are right where we need to be
Utter B.S.

Yeah, had surgery that summer. Came back and was running practices and quit two weeks before games began. I think Kyra had the notion he was coaching the season. When his injury happened I don’t she thought she was going to take over the whole program that soon. Probably was only expecting to keep the ship afloat until he was healthy enough to come back.
Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize it was so close to the season. I wonder how he’s doing.

Nah it was before they hired her. Atlanta reporter had reported he had interest. Probably should’ve did like CViv and just stepped away for a time and healed, but kept his job at UK while doing so.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Nah it was before they hired her. Atlanta reporter had reported he had interest. Probably should’ve did like CViv and just stepped away for a time and healed, but kept his job at UK while doing so.
If he wants to coach, he can. There are plenty of jobs open.

Political immaturity and a need to feel empowered to prop up average basketball

I love posters who jump to conclusions. I am on the Men's Board more than the Women's. I just don't understand criticizing a team that lived up to expectations.

The men choked and embarrassed the school with their early exit against Michigan. As a 3 seed, they should have made at least the Sweet 16.

I love posters who jump to conclusions. I am on the Men's Board more than the Women's. I just don't understand criticizing a team that lived up to expectations.

The men choked and embarrassed the school with their early exit against Michigan. As a 3 seed, they should have made at least the Sweet 16.
If you don’t win the whole thing it doesn’t matter.

It’s way easier to win in the women’s tournament. Far less parity. You will never see a 15 seed making the E8 in the women’s tournament.

Maybe but I know that our Women's program has 8 National Titles and 18 Final Fours while our men's program has NEVER even made a Final Four. Tennessee Men's Basketball is the most embarrassing program out of all UT major athletics. They choke every year in the tournament. Even George Mason and VCU can make Final Fours but we cannot. Nearly every SEC program (Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina) have made Final Fours.

The UT men lost to a 14-loss Michigan team. A team that finished Eighth (yes 8th) in B1G Standings.

So what. At least the men didn’t lose because they were lazy and worried about their hair. The point is both teams lost

Tennessee Lady Vols were a 4 seed which means they are expected to be in Sweet 16. They lost to a 1 seed who many win it all.

The Men were a 3 seed (a higher seed). They failed to even make it past the first weekend and live up to expectations. That is generally the story with the Men's program which is the most embarrassing athletic program at the University. The post season performance by the Men is always trash, they rarely live up to expectations even when Pearl coached them.

This is literally who the men lost to. It isn't even debatable the way either team lost. The men were an embarrassment.

1648395291632.png

Tennessee Lady Vols were a 4 seed which means they are expected to be in Sweet 16. They lost to a 1 seed who many win it all.

The Men were a 3 seed (a higher seed). They failed to even make it past the first weekend and live up to expectations. That is generally the story with the Men's program which is the most embarrassing athletic program at the University. The post season performance by the Men is always trash, they rarely live up to expectations even when Pearl coached them.
Lmao what an idiot. I’m proud of all of our teams. Womens program has been plenty embarrassing too on and off the court

The Women's program is FAR from an EMBARASSMENT. It is our most successful program. We are #2 (after UCONN) in the sport all-time.
I didn’t say that the program was embarrassing. I said they have had embarrassing moments too including off the court t recently. But you choose to focus on the men because you have some weird emotional thing going on about them. I cheer for all of UT’s teams

Agreed. Don’t need her to be like Pat. Her job is head basketball coach, not best friend. I am 57 and having watched and supported Tennessee athletics since I was around 10, I know when something looks right or not. Most of our girls do not play with a passion or pride to wear that power T. If we just want a team that finishes top 2-3 in sec every year and makes the tournament to be sent home in the first or second round every year. Then we are right where we need to be

So who should we hire?

Reactions: volbound1700
Why some of y’all keep taking digs at Key hair and lashes? That has nothing to do with her play. Key just gets discouraged easily. After her first few shots don’t fall you can see it her face and body she becomes dejected. She starts playing timid and her shot becomes rushed. Then the fouls come because she starts to get frustrated. No shade at the staff, but they gotta bring in a legit big to work with Key this off season. Or have her work with some of the bigs from the mens team.

Why some of y’all keep taking digs at Key hair and lashes? That has nothing to do with her play. Key just gets discouraged easily. After her first few shots don’t fall you can see it her face and body she becomes dejected. She starts playing timid and her shot becomes rushed. Then the fouls come because she starts to get frustrated. No shade at the staff, but they gotta bring in a legit big to work with Key this off season. Or have her work with some of the bigs from the mens team.
There could be a slight chance it causes her not to be more aggressive.i saw this all the time where when she got fouled or fouled or got on the floor like a held ball she always had to put her hair back in place and she had to constantly do it.im not saying it's a problem but I'm saying that shouldn't be a continual routine you have to do all game long which she did

Reactions: mcannon1
I didn’t say that the program was embarrassing. I said they have had embarrassing moments too including off the court t recently. But you choose to focus on the men because you have some weird emotional thing going on about them. I cheer for all of UT’s teams

It is because the choke in the post season every year. Do you not see my point. It is embarrassing that tiny schools like George Mason with a fraction of our budget can make post season runs but Tennessee has NEVER done it despite getting 2 or 3 seeds. It isn't just Rick Barnes or current team, it is all coaches we have ever had failing miserably at it.

Even Bruce Pearl had some let down teams as well.

Key had 10 rebounds, of which 5 offensive rebounds. She scored only 3 points, and that's a problem.

Harper has got to improve our offensive efficiency and reduce the turnovers--which are a huge problem. We have the same offensive problems we've had going back to late Summitt---too sloppy, not a good passing team, not a good 3-point shooting team. Next year is year 4--a no excuses year, IMO. She should set a target of no more than 10 TOs a game and be a hard-a$$ about reaching it. This 15/20 TOs a game has got to stop.
There needs to be a balance. This team still needs to play aggressively. The 2008 national championship team averaged 16.5 turnovers per game but were extremely aggressive and that was with a WNBA bound point guard Shannon Bobbitt running the show. Actually, didn't the 4 starters, Parker, Anosike, Hornbuckle, and Bobbitt get drafted. Think they did. We have potentially 3 top ten WNBA draft picks on the team next year. Everyone is on Key, but in the mock drafts, they still have her going number 7. She is 6-7 with a 6-10 wingspan and they don't come along often.

VN Store

Back