Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Outrebounding a number 1 seed 52 - 36 is weak? Key had 10 of those rebounds by the way..

10 rebounds for a 6’6” girl ain’t that great.. she should get 20!! And come on! 3 points? With 5 offensive boards? That’s awful….

She had very little to no impact on offense, and sucked on defense too. That tall white girl destroyed her! She made her look lost and broken..

She needs serious post offense, defense, rebounding, and toughness/ weight lifting in the off season…

If she had 10 points, 20 rebounds, and 10 blocks then yeah that’s more like it… she has that kinda talent, but with that weak effort, she got what she got.

Judging Kyra is kinda ehh. Mitchell just up and quits like two weeks before the start of the 20’ season and on top of that the games being canceled due to Covid that year. This was like truly her 1st full coaching season. Also, those Kentucky players in the portal aren’t really difference makers. Those girls couldn’t shoot a lick, respectfully.
Up and quit? Didn’t he suffer a head injury?

I don’t understand what everyone is so pissed about when it comes to CKJH’s coaching. I feel she did an amazing job under the circumstances. With a fully healthy team they go at least to the final four! Remember most of you didn’t even think we’d get this far..
Bingo!

Reactions: SDV
It is mostly lurkers and football fans who are always quick to jump on the LVs and their woman head coach. It's a very predictable pattern. For this team to weather the injuries this season and accomplish what they did is a testament to the culture that KJH is creating. Everybody but the eventual champion is going to get eliminated in this tournament. Losing a game does not suddenly make you a bad coach. It is idiocy of the highest order to condemn Kellie for the job she did this season (on top of her recruiting success no less).
So the problem is sexism. It’s a shame she doesn’t have black skin, then it could be the in vogue Racism

Yea defense was bad Louisville 1-4 could all dribble and penetrate and get there own basket our young ladies didnt want to exert the energy it took to defend them
Lazy and lackadaisical has been the norm all year. For some reason some people won’t acknowledge the truth. Not sure recruiting will fix the fact that coach wants to be the girls friend and not necessarily their coach

Lazy and lackadaisical has been the norm all year. For some reason some people won’t acknowledge the truth. Not sure recruiting will fix the fact that coach wants to be the girls friend and not necessarily their coach
Is it football season yet? I hate these drive by commenters.

Reactions: volforlife10
This team missed Jordan Horston on the court tremendously! Take away Van Lith and tell me who comes out on top? UT will no longer be a pushover/predictable team. CKJH is in this for long haul and so is her team!
But you can’t take away Van Lith, you have to defend her. Which apparently we had no one who could and or wanted to hustle enough to do

I don’t understand what everyone is so pissed about when it comes to CKJH’s coaching. I feel she did an amazing job under the circumstances. With a fully healthy team they go at least to the final four! Remember most of you didn’t even think we’d get this far..

some people will never be satisfied, particularly when they are anonymous. Haters gonna hate.

Which game did everybody watch? Van Lith isn't the reason we lost the game she made 7 of 21 shot attempts 33 percent. I'd say that is defending her well or if were not defending she can't shoot cause 33 percent is not that great. Refs did put her on the line a lot and she made her free throws. Overall this game was determined by shooting percentage. We shot 36 percent and they shot 41. Almost the same amount of shots at basket they had 67 and we had 66. We dominated the boards 53 to 36 and we had 23 offensive rebounds to their 14. We turned the ball over to much which prevented us from creating a shot advantage. They made 13 free throws and we made 11. In the end the one stat that was the cause of the loss was they made 41 percent of 67 shots and we made 36 percent of 66 shots. We could've kept the games in single digits we fouled to stop the clock. They made the free throws final result they win by 12 ,but it was a three or four possession game and not being able to shoot a high enough percentage is the total reason we lost. They did not have a shot advantage or free throw advantage they just made more shots and shot free throws better so they win.

Did you see her halftime speech that was shown by ESPN and others when they were down at halftime to MS State ( I think it was MS State) That wasn’t a friend speaking.
But go ahead with your agenda since you are so tight with the program.

Reactions: volforlife10
Did you see her halftime speech that was shown by ESPN and others when they were down at halftime to MS State ( I think it was MS State) That wasn’t a friend speaking.
But go ahead with your agenda since you are so tight with the program.
Don’t have an agenda and not tight with the team. Thankfully the good lord gave me eyes to see and a brain to think and the courage to not let others do either for me

Pat was first and foremost your coach, not you’re bestie. She became most of the girls best friend after they realized she was the best kind of friend to have. One who inspired and demanded the best you could give for the team and yourself. Dancing with your players and an occasional angry outburst is not the same by a long shot

Random thoughts:

1. Harper did a solid job with the personnel (skillset) she had available all season long. There are times I questioned substitution patterns.

2. Without Horston or Greene on the floor the team lacked toughness. With them on the court the other players fed off their energy. Although Dye and Key had great stats after Jordy went out go back and watch the connection and body language with Jordy on the court.

3. All season long this Forum has questioned the use of timeouts. This has been a major discussion in my circle. (Circle is coaches at all levels, players all level including D1 All American) Given the change to 4qtrs, media timeout at 5 minutes, two shots and the ability to advance the ball this is not as clear cut as it used to be. We were in GSBO and watching Banghart also not call a timeout. Same discussions taking place.

4. I am excited about next year for this team, ball movement with addition of Powell, Jackson and Pissot should be improved. If Darby can get her shot off quicker, get stronger and add dribbling/driving ability she will remain on the floor. The 4 freshman have so much potential and Key will be able to play her game without the offense needing to run through her. Jordy will be in the All American discussions

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVol1908
Some of you will never get over the wonderful years of Pat. I get it. I’m 61 so I saw those fantastic years. But there’s only one Pat, and expecting any coach not to be themselves but to “ be like Pat” is going to result in complete dissatisfaction with the program. Bama suffered under that plague for years after the Bear left.

Some of you will never get over the wonderful years of Pat. I get it. I’m 61 so I saw those fantastic years. But there’s only one Pat, and expecting any coach not to be themselves but to “ be like Pat” is going to result in complete dissatisfaction with the program. Bama suffered under that plague for years after the Bear left.
Agreed. Don’t need her to be like Pat. Her job is head basketball coach, not best friend. I am 57 and having watched and supported Tennessee athletics since I was around 10, I know when something looks right or not. Most of our girls do not play with a passion or pride to wear that power T. If we just want a team that finishes top 2-3 in sec every year and makes the tournament to be sent home in the first or second round every year. Then we are right where we need to be

VN Store

Back