Juwan Mitchell Texas LB Transfer COMMITS!

There’s better then there’s playing in a better situation. May be difficult to process, but there’s a vastly improved schematic and development environment. Whatever the individual coaching acumen of our departed coaching staff, they weren’t getting it done.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled to have him. It’s just one of the more comical things to watch on VN, fury at our own guys transferring and calling them disloyal, etc, then embracing a guy who just did that to another program to come here.
I get it, but also don't think any other school, especially one who experienced the mass exodus we did, would have any different reaction. I'm glad kids have these options, but it's Fandom 101. Additionally, if HB can start building the culture we deserve at UT, I think we could end up reaping some serious benefit down the road on the transfer portal b/c of our national brand (though it's tarnished at the moment).

Committed to the Vols!

“Mitchell led Texas in tackles last season with 62. He also had 4.5 tackles for loss, one quarterback hurry, one pass breakup, and one fumble recovery for the Longhorns defense. Mitchell also started five games for Texas during his first season with the program back in 2019.”

He will have 2 seasons of eligibility left
If 2019 was his freshman year and 2020 was a free year then don't he have 3 years of eligibility?

Obviously he's a huge get considering how thin our LB depth is at the moment. One of the better defenders on that TX defense last year. Will be an instant starter here and should help shore up the defense. He has has some issues with academics in the past. Hopefully that is behind him.

I've been looking for his PFF grades, but I can't find any. Anyone have access to that info?

A third Texas Longhorn has publicly claimed he does not want to be associated with the University of Texas. Junior linebacker Juwan Mitchell said in a Twitter statement Wednesday evening that he does not "feel comfortable representing the University of Texas," marking the third player in two weeks to publicly claim their intentions to possibly not play for the Longhorns.
"We put our blood, sweat and tears in every day so the city of Austin can enjoy their Saturday's," Mitchell posted on his personal Twitter page Wednesday. "For once, we decide to voice our opinions about things that can help better the community.
"It seems they only have our front but not our backs. People who want to create change don't care how much money can be lost, don't care about who hates them or any bad outcomes that may happen. The only thing on your mind should be equality.
"When I look in the mirror in the morning, I want to tell myself I did the right thing. That should be everyone's mindsets. It's not about blacks vs. whites, or cops (vs.) blacks. It's about doing what's right!
"With that being said, I do not feel comfortable representing the University of Texas."

Mitchell's comments come a few weeks after wide receiver Brennan Eagles first announced his plans to "not play another snap" for Texas.
“I’m not going to play another snap knowing what’s going on in our society due to color and the system being broken," Eagles said. "I just can’t."

This was prior to the 2020 season, which he ended up playing for Herman and the Longhorns.

It may have played a part, but I'm pretty sure I read where he didn't like the new coaching staff.

Reactions: CSVol and kcvols1
I was so hopeful with this pickup.. as a good mlb is desperately needed but...if his motivations are social justice related...this could be a cancer injected into the veins of a life support team...bigger than UT though... these political/social stances could lead to the demise of one of the greatest sports on earth
No...its not even close to that. You obviously aren't aware of the Univ of Texas song " The Eyes of Texas."

The complete lack of awareness from some of you is astounding.

Yeah, imagine how great American Football would be if African-American and African decent players stopped participating in the sport 🙄. But hey, they best to shut their mouths up PLAY BALL😲🤑😦. How dare they!

LMFAO. He hasn't even come close to being "the real deal". Right now it's unlikely he'll play on Sundays. Wow.
IMHO he's making a mistake by leaving a team with a depth chart that almost assures him of a starting position. I think he has talent. But at tOSU or Bama... he's just another guy in the room. He could get buried and actually hurt his chances of playing in the NFL.

His opportunity to showcase himself and post good numbers IMO are much better at UT than the schools he's been rumored to be considering.

He has 2 years remaining of eligibility plus a red shirt. He had 4 years to play 3 seasons when he first committed to TX per this article. He played 2019 and 2020 didn't count against eligibility.
Thought he had played two at Butler...my bad, thanks.

Reactions: Carp
I was so hopeful with this pickup.. as a good mlb is desperately needed but...if his motivations are social justice related...this could be a cancer injected into the veins of a life support team...bigger than UT though... these political/social stances could lead to the demise of one of the greatest sports on earth
The Eyes of Texas is a non-political song that is being made into something to try and divide people. Now, My Old Kentucky Home is another matter. But no one cares about trying to create division on the Bluegrass. It is all about politics.

IMHO he's making a mistake by leaving a team with a depth chart that almost assures him of a starting position. I think he has talent. But at tOSU or Bama... he's just another guy in the room. He could get buried and actually hurt his chances of playing in the NFL.

His opportunity to showcase himself and post good numbers IMO are much better at UT than the schools he's been rumored to be considering.
From the time he got to UT, I've always thought he was overrated. He's terrible against the pass. We've had DOZENS of Lbs better than him

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
From the time he got to UT, I've always thought he was overrated. He's terrible against the pass. We've had DOZENS of Lbs better than him
I'm not ready to throw stones at him. Some make a good point that the D was fairly complex and required too much thinking.

We will see when he gets to where he's going.

So here we have a guy that is the best on his team at his position.(a position that our 3rd string is currently a long snapper, mind you)

He wants to leave that team, and strap on the Power T and represent what it's all about because he doesnt feel comfortable representing what Texas is all about. You should be proud of that. This young man feels like East Tennessee is gonna provide him with the best opportunity to succeed in life and I support his decision to come here. It's not like he's trying to flush a kitten down the toilet.

VN Store

Back