Joe Milton quote

If he was quoted as actually saying that we've got bigger problems than I even thought. Hopefully he doesn't play much more.

I think he was either actually clueless about how mediocre he was, which shows a lack of football knowledge, or he just habitually talks like that to compensate for internal confidence issues.

But, this is shade tree psychoanalysis based on video clips. Take it with less than a grain of salt.

When you’ve got a guy like me that can do it all, it’s all about the execution part of it.

It’s ALWAYS about the EXECUTION of plays that separates the pretenders from the contenders…..

A QB that executes consistently with efficiency is what must be done to succeed.
And that's what he said. If he don't he won't just stay around like JG did.

The media loves to write about athletes who brag and back it up. They love write about the ones who brag and don't even more. Of course right now we're not at the level where anyone really cares what our QB has to say.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
One of the 3 is likely to occur:

1) Milton starts to light it up and we don't care about comments like this or the Cam Newton end zone celebrations

2) He keeps thinking he played awesome and the fan base turns on CJH for being too soft of a coach

3) CJH makes a QB change

Im hoping for #1......Playing mediocre and being an audience of one won't last long.

Confidence and humility are NOT mutually exclusive traits Peyton had all the confidence in the world but was very well mannered and careful in spreading credit across the team. He used the pronoun “we” much more than “I”

Peyton had Archie. Are either available for Mr. Milton?

So you don't want confidence out of your leader? He said he didn't Execute. I take that as he will work on it.
As my grandaddy taught me growing up "confidence....not cocky" He's cocky. And he's really not even that good. I could handle him saying that a little more if he had earned the right to say it.

Sorry. I'm just old school in that regard.

From 24/7:

This remains to be seen, IMO. Had some really good moments, but this quote seems to be a little bit less than humble at this point, especially with the next game opening at home as a slight underdog (currently +1.5 from what I last read).
He’s going to regret saying things like that unless he improves his play big time.
He looks like he is far from being able to “do it all”!

Reactions: swampfoxfan
He’s got the highest ceiling of any QB on the roster and it’s not even close.
Yeah and he had that same highest ceiling in HS but threw for 1/4 the yards Bailey did and 20% less completion %.
Jamarcus Russell had a higher ceiling than half the QB’s in the NFL, how’d that work out?

So just to be clear, you'd prefer we have a QB who isn't confident?

This isn't anything outside the norm. We're talking about elite athletes. OF COURSE they are going to think highly of their skills.
There’s a difference between thinking it and proving it on the field, And saying it and not proving it on the field.
The latter makes you look like an arrogant dumbass

Reactions: tbh and swampfoxfan
Such is the life of competitive athletes.

They say something like this, there's going to be people who claim they're cocky/arrogant/whatever.

They offer a humble/meek response, will have people saying they lack the killer instinct needed to win at a high level.

No real winning for them.

Yes there is.

Play well and play team ball and athletes can say what they want. Don't play well and you get these kind of questions, warranted or not.

There’s a difference between thinking it and proving it on the field, And saying it and not proving it on the field.
The latter makes you look like an arrogant dumbass

He was asked a question about the offense and admitted he needed to execute better.

The fact you’re upset about it makes you look ridiculous.

From 24/7:

This remains to be seen, IMO. Had some really good moments, but this quote seems to be a little bit less than humble at this point, especially with the next game opening at home as a slight underdog (currently +1.5 from what I last read).
I’m not a big fan but self confidence I believe is a plus even if it doesn’t pan out. Better than being insecure

Reactions: 007Racer
Don't remember any of some really great Tennessee QB's ever spouting off like that, maybe he can show some of that "can do anything" in the future cause nobody has seen it yet.

Casey Clausen had a few here and there. Backed up some, didn't others.

That Jennings guy that was a receiver here and now plays in the NFL was once asked if he was then Alpha male in the receiver room.He replied “I’m the Alpha male in any room” How many want to complain about him?

From 24/7:

I wasn’t a fan of that when he said it. There’s no humility in that statement. Though I like some of the things that he did, he sure didn’t do it all Thursday night.

If Thursday is all of it, I got news for Milton. My suggestion is to improve and keep competing for the job, because ..... keeping that up will likely mean you'll lose it. That's a bad/non existent SEC level performance.

Overthrew two sure TD passes and wasn't even close

Took a sack with 3 timeouts with a minute in the half at midfield

245lbs but cowers and falls short when getting hit trying to use his legs to get a 1st down

All that aside, I love his Cam Newton superman TD celebrations and pointing/calling his shot like Babe Ruth

Still a Joe Milton supporter but the quote is questionable at best. Just don't talk about what you can do, talk about what you did do...... which was mediocre and needs improvement.

Let's hear from another QB from week #1:

"It felt great. Obviously any time there's offseason, there's a lot of anticipation and, you know, you start to get a little anxious. But for us to get the first win out of the way, did some good things, and there's some stuff for us to improve on...."

That kid set a record of 4 TDs for a debut QB at Alabama, ya know, breaking a record co-held by Joe Namath.

From a Milton supporter, you can't teach 6'5" 245lbs but you also can't teach class.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
He’s going to regret saying things like that unless he improves his play big time.
He looks like he is far from being able to “do it all”!
I’m gonna take this quote as “I’m able to throw and run, but I didn’t execute the offense correctly”.

That Jennings guy that was a receiver here and now plays in the NFL was once asked if he was then Alpha male in the receiver room.He replied “I’m the Alpha male in any room” How many want to complain about him?
That Jennings guy was/is the alpha dog and proved it every game, that Milton guy didn't show me any "do it all".

VN Store

Back