JG’s Growth at QB

I’ve been rewatching last year’s games (I tend to do that around this time), and one thing has jumped out to me that no one talks about.

JG needs to be forever banned from throwing swing passes out to the running back. I don’t know what it is about that play.... but sheesh, he’s bad at it. It’s a disaster every time.

I’ve been rewatching last year’s games (I tend to do that around this time), and one thing has jumped out to me that no one talks about.

JG needs to be forever banned from throwing swing passes out to the running back. I don’t know what it is about that play.... but sheesh, he’s bad at it. It’s a disaster every time.
JG got hyped up about having great arm talent but after a few years of watching this dude it seems to come and go. Some passes look great but most passes look like his ability to put some touch on the ball just disappears.

I thought he had turned the corner somewhat last year. Started throwing the ball with confidence, started checking down a little, then the Indiana game happened. The old JG was back. Holding the ball too long, slow reading the defense. He will never be able to sense backside pressure. You either have that or you don't, and that is a catastrophic turn over or injury waiting to happen.

I hope the light comes back on, but we will see. He deserves to have a great year and I am pulling for him, however it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see one of the other three in Bailey, Mauer, or Shrout trotting out there and taking the majority of the snaps after the first game or two.
Don’t forget the Vandy game. JG did not look good in that game, especially early on.

Reactions: norrislakevol
yet in pruitt's 2nd year.....bowl victory.....winning season.....recruiting thru the roof......oh my, things looking on the up and up on RockyTop!
I think Pruitt has done a very good job imo... which includes managing a bad situation at QB. There are folks who disagree but I think Chaney is one of the top 5 or 10 OC's in all of college football. I also think that left completely to his own devices Chaney would not have invested so much time in JG and likely would not have started him. The rumors last fall that Chaney and Pruitt had a disagreement over the QB position appear to have legs. Kudos to both guys for being able to disagree and still make it work.

You seriously cant be a fan of the program or you're a hater of our QB, OC, and HC....among others
That's rich. You guys "hate" other QB's... and then accuse folks like me of "hating" JG even though we don't. There is a difference between "hating someone" and recognizing their flaws/weaknesses/failures.

I am a fan of UT. I want UT to win. You actually CANNOT be a fan of the "program" while making excuses for guys who are hurting the program with their play or coaching. The program is bigger and more important than a particular QB or coach.

I was definitely NOT a fan of Butch Jones as a coach. I never wished him failure. I wanted him to be good... but I never closed my eyes to his weaknesses that were ultimately fatal.

Was I wrong for not being a fan of a guy who was hurting the program?

I think Pruitt has done a very good job imo... which includes managing a bad situation at QB. There are folks who disagree but I think Chaney is one of the top 5 or 10 OC's in all of college football. I also think that left completely to his own devices Chaney would not have invested so much time in JG and likely would not have started him. The rumors last fall that Chaney and Pruitt had a disagreement over the QB position appear to have legs. Kudos to both guys for being able to disagree and still make it work.

That's rich. You guys "hate" other QB's... and then accuse folks like me of "hating" JG even though we don't. There is a difference between "hating someone" and recognizing their flaws/weaknesses/failures.

I am a fan of UT. I want UT to win. You actually CANNOT be a fan of the "program" while making excuses for guys who are hurting the program with their play or coaching. The program is bigger and more important than a particular QB or coach.

I was definitely NOT a fan of Butch Jones as a coach. I never wished him failure. I wanted him to be good... but I never closed my eyes to his weaknesses that were ultimately fatal.

Was I wrong for not being a fan of a guy who was hurting the program?
🤔🤷‍♂️. Maybe?

I know folks like bashing JG on here but if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have won most of those games. With the upcoming season upon us, do y'all see him making a jump his senior season. Im praying he finally puts it all together like Dobbs and Crompton did their senior seasons. Also hearing JG gained 30 pounds this offseason. I just hope JG’s work ethic translates into wins.

JG SUCKS

You do realize that you actually get a better “view” from the tv at home right? They have this thing called angles and replay that you don’t get AT the game. In fact depending on where your seat was you were anywhere from 50-200 yards away. Which would indicate that you probably watch the Jumbotron rather than the field. In that case you watched exactly what I did. Your personal hate for the kid doesn’t change what actually happened as the game went on. You would be correct if we were only talking about his first drive. Afterwards..... you’re lying.
7-16 is not even 50% for 98 yards......and we were losing? yeah, he was KILLING it..........or........you're lying.

Oh, and i was pretty close to the action.....let's just put it that way!

For the first time JG will have consecutive seasons with same OC. Hoping against hope that will make rhe difference. All of JGs issues are between his ears. Also with COVID nixing spring practice, HB's chances of beating JG out were greatly diminished.

Reactions: lexkyvol
7-16 is not even 50% for 98 yards......and we were losing? yeah, he was KILLING it..........or........you're lying.

Oh, and i was pretty close to the action.....let's just put it that way!
Idgad how close to the action you were. You obviously only see what you WANT to see. Facts are facts and you can’t change what happened. He started rough and got better as the game went on. You mention 7-16 and 98 yards and us losing with total disregard that his first 2 drives there was obvious rust. How convenient. You fail to mention that nearly every yard you’re attempting to insult him with was in the second qtr alone. Add that up over the course of a game and he still throws for 300 in spite of not having the ball nearly at all in the first qtr. You can thank the defense for that AND the fact that we were losing. You were there man! Don’t you remember them chewing up the entire first qtr on their FIRST drive that ended in a touchdown? THAT had to be Maurers fault huh? And the blocked punt that followed (you know, the one that put them up 13-0) was obviously Maurers fault too. Dude.... it’s simple. ANYONE, including yourself, would take a qb that accounts for 120 yards of offense in a quarter and call it a good game at the end. Like I said.... Pruitt pulled Maurer too soon.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Idgad how close to the action you were. You obviously only see what you WANT to see. Facts are facts and you can’t change what happened. He started rough and got better as the game went on. You mention 7-16 and 98 yards and us losing with total disregard that his first 2 drives there was obvious rust. How convenient. You fail to mention that nearly every yard you’re attempting to insult him with was in the second qtr alone. Add that up over the course of a game and he still throws for 300 in spite of not having the ball nearly at all in the first qtr. You can thank the defense for that AND the fact that we were losing. You were there man! Don’t you remember them chewing up the entire first qtr on their FIRST drive that ended in a touchdown? THAT had to be Maurers fault huh? And the blocked punt that followed (you know, the one that put them up 13-0) was obviously Maurers fault too. Dude.... it’s simple. ANYONE, including yourself, would take a qb that accounts for 120 yards of offense in a quarter and call it a good game at the end. Like I said.... Pruitt pulled Maurer too soon.
ydgaf cause u keep whining like a lil mitch. obviously i saw what pruitt and the rest of VOL NATION saw and that's us losing with his self at qb, thus needed to be replaced. if he was doing so well, why would he need replacing? stop sounding so stupid! your man crush is really getting on everyone's nerves. he accounted for 98 yards and 9 incompletions on only 16 attempts. he couldn't hit the side of a ducks arse. deal with it. right now, he's boo boo. could he get better, maybe.....but he's worse than JG who everyone says is not a sec qb.

ydgaf cause u keep whining like a lil mitch. obviously i saw what pruitt and the rest of VOL NATION saw and that's us losing with his self at qb, thus needed to be replaced. if he was doing so well, why would he need replacing? stop sounding so stupid! your man crush is really getting on everyone's nerves. he accounted for 98 yards and 9 incompletions on only 16 attempts. he couldn't hit the side of a ducks arse. deal with it. right now, he's boo boo. could he get better, maybe.....but he's worse than JG who everyone says is not a sec qb.
You saw us losing because of a lack of defense and a blocked punt. Maurer had nothing to do with either. I’ve admitted he didn’t look like himself at first but UK had 13 points at halftime. They had 13 points at the end of the game. What’s that tell you genius? It tells you the DEFENSE stepped up to win that game in the second half. In the first half they couldn’t get off the field and the last I checked you had to score points to win. Kind of hard to do so when you don’t have the ball. I’ll leave this here for you study. If you can’t change what that picture tells you......get off the kids ass because this is ALL THE TRUTH YOU NEED. 8C0E5401-4306-4312-BF5C-693693A4CC0D.jpeg

For the first time JG will have consecutive seasons with same OC. Hoping against hope that will make rhe difference. All of JGs issues are between his ears. Also with COVID nixing spring practice, HB's chances of beating JG out were greatly diminished.
He missed spring practice like everyone else...I wouldn't get your hopes up but we shall wait and see. Maybe at the end of the season the magic number is 3 years under the same OC...

You saw us losing because of a lack of defense and a blocked punt. Maurer had nothing to do with either. I’ve admitted he didn’t look like himself at first but UK had 13 points at halftime. They had 13 points at the end of the game. What’s that tell you genius? It tells you the DEFENSE stepped up to win that game in the second half. In the first half they couldn’t get off the field and the last I checked you had to score points to win. Kind of hard to do so when you don’t have the ball. I’ll leave this here for you study. If you can’t change what that picture tells you......get off the kids ass because this is ALL THE TRUTH YOU NEED. View attachment 287670
His not playing better and keeping the offense on the field was a major reason for the TOP disparity. A big reason he was benched.

Reactions: lexkyvol
His not playing better and keeping the offense on the field was a major reason for the TOP disparity. A big reason he was benched.
Go back and watch the game dude! Their first drive was over 13 min long! Are you freaking kidding me?! You guys are so lost in your hate for the kid that you can’t see the truth and it’s disgusting.

That being said he DIDNT look good on his first drive as I’ve stated many times. However, denying that he was getting better with every drive is just plain closing your eyes.

Just some more thoughts on my previous
post.you've got one group that thinks JG can do no wrong and you got another group that thinks he can do nothing right in actuality he is in between. His biggest problem is inconsistency actually I believe he plays better when he is brought off the bench just my opinion.

If you have a basic understanding of the game of football there is no way possible for anyone who watched JG play to honestly proclaim he is an SEC level QB. He has been a dismal failure his entire tenure at Tennessee. He just doesn't have it and likely never will. To say otherwise is to be lying to yourself and others or you have no clue about the game of football.

JG has got to be the most hated quarterback in Tennessee football history:rolleyes:

You cannot be a starting QB at UT with as many losses on his belt as he has, and become beloved. If he can turn it around this year, he'll have to do it early IMO or he gets yanked permanently.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
THANK YOU! Pruitt didn't decide "hey, i hate brian maurer tonight. let's put JG in".

but hey look at the time of possession......hey, look at the score dufus.......good gawd 1vol8. the score, the score, the score...not feelings....is what wins ball games. yeah, the ky game the defense held them, but maurer wasnt putting up hardly ANY points.

1vol8, YOU HAVE TO OUTSCORE THE OTHER TEAM TO WIN!

Reactions: k-town_king
THANK YOU! Pruitt didn't decide "hey, i hate brian maurer tonight. let's put JG in".

but hey look at the time of possession......hey, look at the score dufus.......good gawd 1vol8. the score, the score, the score...not feelings....is what wins ball games. yeah, the ky game the defense held them, but maurer wasnt putting up hardly ANY points.

1vol8, YOU HAVE TO OUTSCORE THE OTHER TEAM TO WIN!
And you can’t do that from the sidelines. When the opening drive of the game eats up over 13 min of the first qtr the problem is defense. No matter how BAD you WANT it to be the qb, it’s defense. And let’s not forget that as “bad” as Maurer was to open the game he had us 1st and 10 inside the 15 on his third drive (let that sink in, ONLY HIS THIRD DRIVE AND IT WAS NEARLY HALFTIME) A personal foul backed us up making it a third and TWENTY and Maurers legs nearly picked up the first anyway on a 17 yard scramble. But you were there? Bottom line.... you don’t want to admit that he was beginning to give them problems as he got settled in. Pruitt looked like a genius by benching a rusty Maurer in favor of JG ONLY because JG played well. But we all know that was a 50/50 decision that could’ve just as easily made the “hero” the “goat”.

Reactions: Chippo
And you can’t do that from the sidelines. When the opening drive of the game eats up over 13 min of the first qtr the problem is defense. No matter how BAD you WANT it to be the qb, it’s defense. And let’s not forget that as “bad” as Maurer was to open the game he had us 1st and 10 inside the 15 on his third drive (let that sink in, ONLY HIS THIRD DRIVE AND IT WAS NEARLY HALFTIME) A personal foul backed us up making it a third and TWENTY and Maurers legs nearly picked up the first anyway on a 17 yard scramble. But you were there? Bottom line.... you don’t want to admit that he was beginning to give them problems as he got settled in. Pruitt looked like a genius by benching a rusty Maurer in favor of JG ONLY because JG played well. But we all know that was a 50/50 decision that could’ve just as easily made the “hero” the “goat”.
he was the STARTER for a whole half. what was the halftime score? and dont tell me about time of possession because if it was JG nobody would give a damn.

13 to freakin 3. he wasnt getting it done. a field goal. FOH. 3 freakin points! nearly my arse. nearly got us blown the hell out to ky, that's what!

Reactions: k-town_king
he was the STARTER for a whole half. what was the halftime score? and dont tell me about time of possession because if it was JG nobody would give a damn.

13 to freakin 3. he wasnt getting it done. a field goal. FOH. 3 freakin points! nearly my arse. nearly got us blown the hell out to ky, that's what!
And that half was eaten up by THEIR offense. Come back to me when you learn that offense and defense go hand and hand. Until then it’s like arguing with a 3 year old...... you just don’t get it.

Last edited:

For those plays to work, the D has to fear a QB's ability to anticipate downfield throws and then throw receivers open. They have to be playing on their heels. Many times... DC's bait JG into those throws simply by not giving him a wide open look downfield. If they "look" covered at the moment then JG is likely to dump it off.

JG has got to be the most hated quarterback in Tennessee football history:rolleyes:
You haven't been around long, have you?

Crompton was treated much worse. Ainge was treated pretty bad after 2005.

I see very few people who actually "hate" JG... just a lot of people who have seen more than enough not to believe in him.

VN Store

Back