JG’s Growth at QB

Maurer was a true Fr. Being and EE is an advantage but you're even more delusional than I thought if you think it is a bigger advantage than a complete RS year.... especially playing behind a guy like Dobbs.

And... I STILL haven't said Maurer is or will be the "answer". I've said he showed flashes. In fact, I didn't mention Maurer in the post you quoted. So why did you other than try to deflect valid criticism from JG?

As several others have noted, the team won some of those games IN SPITE of JG's passing. I would condition that some. In the last two games he flat out stank it up throwing the ball but managed the run game very well. That isn't unimportant... it just isn't enough to beat the top tier teams.
Because we're rebuilding......duh

I thought he had turned the corner somewhat last year. Started throwing the ball with confidence, started checking down a little, then the Indiana game happened. The old JG was back. Holding the ball too long, slow reading the defense. He will never be able to sense backside pressure. You either have that or you don't, and that is a catastrophic turn over or injury waiting to happen.

I hope the light comes back on, but we will see. He deserves to have a great year and I am pulling for him, however it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see one of the other three in Bailey, Mauer, or Shrout trotting out there and taking the majority of the snaps after the first game or two.

I thought he had turned the corner somewhat last year. Started throwing the ball with confidence, started checking down a little, then the Indiana game happened. The old JG was back. Holding the ball too long, slow reading the defense. He will never be able to sense backside pressure. You either have that or you don't, and that is a catastrophic turn over or injury waiting to happen.

I hope the light comes back on, but we will see. He deserves to have a great year and I am pulling for him, however it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see one of the other three in Bailey, Mauer, or Shrout trotting out there and taking the majority of the snaps after the first game or two.

My guess is the coaching staff will try to get it to a two QB competition in fall camp, just because there are a finite number of snaps with the 1's in practice. However, if there isn't separation in camp between Bailey and Mauer all three will play. Unless one of the younger QB’s balls out, JG gets the start on the road at Oklahoma, but on a short leash. If JG plays well or If one of the younger ones plays well in relief, particularly if we get the win behind them, then we have a true starting QB. If not, they rerun the process with Furman. By the time the Gators get to Knoxville, we need someone who’s playing like a champion or we’re in for another mediocre (7-5) regular season. I am agnostic about who that is, just get us 30 points a game and don’t turn it over and CJP’s defense will do the rest. And for those who think 30 points is a lot to ask that would have got us in at tied for 58th in scoring offense with Fresno State last year.

This is such BS. JG did his part in every win we had. Football is a team sport and the bottom line is that he did enough good at QB to play a major role in those wins. All you neverJG guys are full of is woulda shoulda coulda. It's a ridiculous argument in sports because your scenarios do not exist once the game ends and you have no idea nor could you possibly predict what would have happened with someone other than JG in those same situations. How come when you talk about the Alabama game you only mention JGs screwup as the reason for the final score, why don't you mention the roughing the passer penalty on Taylor that totally shifted the game? You continue to blame everything on JG and it's getting ridiculous to me, I think you neverJG guys suck at being Vol fans.
Ditto , JG defenders suck as Vol fans and sound rather foolish in their continued defense of JG’s performance. His play speaks for itself. He inept play was primarily responsible for the first two losses and kept us from competing with Alabama in the 4th quarter.

I would not call Jg’s performances as leading us to SEC wins. The truth is in the games Tn won , we won despite JG’s play. That was also true in the bowl game. Good Qb play would likely added two touchdowns in all of those SEC games you referred to and also TN would have competed with Alabama to the very end If not for JG.
Despite his less than stellar performance, he was the QB. There is no way we win all those games with any other QB on our roster.

What is a fact, however, is that we won them with him playing QB.
Yes. But that doesn’t at all mean he was the only one on our roster that COULD have won those games. It could be argued that a JG lead team would’ve been getting blown out at the half rather than leading for most of it because there’s three years of evidence to support that claim. Is it a fact? No. A lot of people think Pruitt pulled Maurer too early vs UK because he was showing improvement as the game went on. Does it make it a fact that we win that game by a larger margin had Maurer stayed in? No. But truth is I believe we do. I can go on and on but the truth is speculation is an opinion. Therefore you can’t say “there’s no way”.

Yes. But that doesn’t at all mean he was the only one on our roster that COULD have won those games. It could be argued that a JG lead team would’ve been getting blown out at the half rather than leading for most of it because there’s three years of evidence to support that claim. Is it a fact? No. A lot of people think Pruitt pulled Maurer too early vs UK because he was showing improvement as the game went on. Does it make it a fact that we win that game by a larger margin had Maurer stayed in? No. But truth is I believe we do. I can go on and on but the truth is speculation is an opinion. Therefore you can’t say “there’s no way”.
Well, the truth is it's my opinion that there is no way; therefore, I can and will say it. A lot of people think a lot of things about coaching, yet they only have coaching experience on video games. I'll trust Pruitt to make decisions for the team before I'll listen to armchair coaches. He seems to know what he's doing.

Well, the truth is it's my opinion that there is no way; therefore, I can and will say it. A lot of people think a lot of things about coaching, yet they only have coaching experience on video games. I'll trust Pruitt to make decisions for the team before I'll listen to armchair coaches. He seems to know what he's doing.
I agree he seems to know what he’s doing. But only due to the outcome. Had he pulled Maurer and JG stunk it up there would be a re-emergence of “fire Pruitt” threads. Bottom line, he took a chance on 50/50 odds and it payed off. It could’ve just as easily backfired.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
JG was listed as number 12 ranked qb in 2020 SEC QB rankings for this year as a fifth year senior. Looking at the qb ranks this year in the league - once you get past the top four it drops big time.
I'm critical and skeptical. But the wave of pre-season rankings we're about to be treated to are all but worthless. None of the writers is ever held accountable for being wrong. It would be interesting to pull this particular ranking from last year and see how well they projected what happened.

Reactions: peerless98
Despite his less than stellar performance, he was the QB. There is no way we win all those games with any other QB on our roster.
I disagree with your statement completely. We do win games with Maurer or Stout. They were fearless and just a short amount of in game experience would have done wonders for them and UT.

I disagree with your statement completely. We do win games with Maurer or Stout. They were fearless and just a short amount of in game experience would have done wonders for them and UT.
Maybe so but we'll never know what might have happened. We do know what did happen though.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Maybe so but we'll never know what might have happened. We do know what did happen though.
This is why I’m not sold that Pruitt made the right decision by pulling Maurer vs UK. We only have JG for one more year and Maurer showed a lot of things that haven’t been present in the recent past. He showed fire, fearlessness, leadership and the TEAM responded to him. Had Pruitt stuck with him we MAY not be so worried about the position right now.

This is why I’m not sold that Pruitt made the right decision by pulling Maurer vs UK. We only have JG for one more year and Maurer showed a lot of things that haven’t been present in the recent past. He showed fire, fearlessness, leadership and the TEAM responded to him. Had Pruitt stuck with him we MAY not be so worried about the position right now.
WE aren't worried. JG is more than serviceable, and we have more QB talent on the roster now.

If your opinion is that the Georgia State and BYU losses are squarely on JG, it is my opinion that you are blinded by your hatred for him. The offense scored enough points to easily win those games IMO.
Im no JG hater in fact i believe with this oline he will have a pretty good year. Neverthless he did open the door for BYU. They were all but ready to be blown out and he throws a pick on the 1st drive of the 2nd half. Not only that, they ended up with the ball on our 20. BYU had 6 drives in the 2nd half and the only TD came on that gifted drive. He has to put the nail in the coffin so that is on him. The Ga St game was a collective $#!t show but i still think he should have been able to outscore them. It wasnt like we were playing the 18 clemson defense.

It seems like a waste of time, but here we go.

JG is an average to below average QB. There is a pile of evidence, but the most damning is the record. The eye test shows late reads, late throws, and some poor decision making. The number of 50/50 balls that were caught at Auburn 2 years ago, at Mizzou, and Ky...is astounding and a tribute to Palmer, Calloway, and Jennings. His deep ball is so poor, too many examples of underthrown passes to list.

Guts, he's got em
Desire, in spades
Attitude outside of the Georgia Dome seems to be on point.

But if the is 5% of our fan base left that believes he's the best option, I'd be shocked. That said...he was probably our safest option last year after Brian was injured for the 3rd time. All 3 qbs had terrible completion percentage.

We lost 2 unacceptable games to begin the year squarely on JG (imo)...Florida blew us out...on JG very poor 1st half, Bama goal line disaster on JG when we were competing....Georgia is not on him, but that was 1 quarter of fun and then a massacre.

The idea of putting it all together seems more unlikely than Compton's miracle season...we have the O-line...a vastly improving defense...experience backfield, and potential outside.

I wish JG well, I do not believe based on what I have seen that he will produce victories v the big 4
Crompton’s season was not a miracle. It was game planning and coaching. He couldn’t progress through any options so the coaches put multiple options on the same side of the field making it much easier on him to go from #1 to #2 with the back being option #3 all on the same side. Game planning was mostly first half opportunities set up by the coaches I.e. the GA game TE down the middle throwing to a wide open player.

Not a betting man but JG is not going to miraculously have a turnaround this season. Three years of subpar play is enough of a historical record to make a solid prediction that he doesn’t have it.
JG has been the same since high school. Actually, a little worse than his high school days..These turnaround hopes and dreams will always remain hopes and dreams.

VN Store

Back