JG’s Growth at QB

he was the STARTER for a whole half. what was the halftime score? and dont tell me about time of possession because if it was JG nobody would give a damn.

13 to freakin 3. he wasnt getting it done. a field goal. FOH. 3 freakin points! nearly my arse. nearly got us blown the hell out to ky, that's what!
You do understand that the ultimate context here is a RS Jr and 3 year starter compared to a true Fr coming off an injury who was playing before anyone thought he was ready, right?

The fact that there are arguments to be made between the two... tells you pretty much all you need to know about your RS Jr.

Maurer isn't going to have the opportunity that JG has. No one is for awhile. Out of these underclassmen, whoever starts will have earned it in a stout competition. After Dormady left there was really no one left for a couple of years to challenge JG. He "won" the job by default. The fact that a raw true Fr pushed him... isn't good.

You do understand that the ultimate context here is a RS Jr and 3 year starter compared to a true Fr coming off an injury who was playing before anyone thought he was ready, right?

The fact that there are arguments to be made between the two... tells you pretty much all you need to know about your RS Jr.

Maurer isn't going to have the opportunity that JG has. No one is for awhile. Out of these underclassmen, whoever starts will have earned it in a stout competition. After Dormady left there was really no one left for a couple of years to challenge JG. He "won" the job by default. The fact that a raw true Fr pushed him... isn't good.
He won it by being better than QD and making him transfer then beating out the young guys who he is better than. That is the context.

Reactions: lexkyvol
He won it by being better than QD and making him transfer then beating out the young guys who he is better than. That is the context.
He won it due to EXPERIENCE and everyone on this board knows it, including yourself. His performance in his first 3 games vs Gast, BYU and Chattanooga were NO INDICATION that he’s “better” than Maurer in his first 3 games vs Georgia, MissSt and Alabama. Let the difference in the level of competition sink in because as much as I like JG there was as night and day difference in performance as there was in said level of competition. Maurer looked better vs better teams and it made VN question Pruitts qb evaluation overall as a result. The only reason that has been forgotten about is the fact that Pruitt maneuvered through injuries and his management of the position was flawless down the stretch. But rest assured that had JG played like the JG of old in the second half of UK..........come to think of it 🤔, no one would have heard from YOU since.

He won it due to EXPERIENCE and everyone on this board knows it, including yourself. His performance in his first 3 games vs Gast, BYU and Chattanooga were NO INDICATION that he’s “better” than Maurer in his first 3 games vs Georgia, MissSt and Alabama. Let the difference in the level of competition sink in because as much as I like JG there was as night and day difference in performance as there was in said level of competition. Maurer looked better vs better teams and it made VN question Pruitts qb evaluation overall as a result. The only reason that has been forgotten about is the fact that Pruitt maneuvered through injuries and his management of the position was flawless down the stretch. But rest assured that had JG played like the JG of old in the second half of UK..........come to think of it 🤔, no one would have heard from YOU since.
He never looked better. Not once. He had one lucky 16 minute stretch of 50% passing that he got lucky and hit a wide open td that the wr had to slow down for. Then he had a good throw on the second one. Beyond that he was pretty bad passing the ball.

He won it by being better than QD
You mean a guy that got hurt and tried to play hurt... after being screwed by Jones in spite of winning the job outright? Your "knack" for revisionism is remarkable. QD beat JG out. The team knew it. Jones didn't accept it. He kept the competition open until he found a reason to give JG the job... and immediately after QD had surgery then transferred after the season.

JG took over a 3-2 team and "led" them to a 4-8 record. He took over a team averaging one sack per game... and held the ball so long that he was brutalized and sacked on average 4 times per game. The O behind him was the most anemic in recent UT memory to include the 2005 season.

The biggest reason JG ever started was Jones' incompetence and inability to recruit the position.

and making him transfer
You are a joke... Dormady beat him out and then could not start at Houston or really keep the job full time at Central Michigan. I don't know the reason he left and you don't either. I'd wager it had a lot to do with Jones refusing to accept that he had won the job over his chosen.

then beating out the young guys who he is better than. That is the context.

Except... he didn't do that either. They handed him the job after the 2018 season and started trying to build him up. They knew what they had in Shrout and knew Maurer was unlikely to be ready. JG STILL lost the job 3 games in. If Maurer had not gotten injured... it is unlikely JG would have started again.

AND REMINDER... the fact that a comparison can be made between a true Fr who NO ONE thinks was ready and a RS Jr... tells you all you need to know about how good the RS Jr is. It doesn't tell you much about the Fr... but a TON about the RS Jr.

Last edited:
Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
He never looked better. Not once. He had one lucky 16 minute stretch of 50% passing that he got lucky and hit a wide open td that the wr had to slow down for. Then he had a good throw on the second one. Beyond that he was pretty bad passing the ball.
Omg you’re something else! Calloway did NOT have to slow down. At all. He didn’t even have to make ANY KIND of adjustment. No having to fade inside or out, slow down or speed up. All he had to do was put his hands up. And if you can’t see that he was better vs better competition then you sir are just selectively blind.

You mean a guy that got hurt and tried to play hurt... after being screwed by Jones in spite of winning the job outright? Your "knack" for revisionism is remarkable. QD beat JG out. The team knew it. Jones didn't accept it. He kept the competition open until he found a reason to give JG the job... and immediately after QD had surgery then transferred after the season.

JG took over a 3-2 team and "led" them to a 4-8 record. He took over a team averaging one sack per game... and held the ball so long that he was brutalized and sacked on average 4 times per game. The O behind him was the most anemic in recent UT memory to include the 2005 season.

The biggest reason JG ever started was Jones' incompetence and inability to recruit the position.

You are a joke... Dormady beat him out and then could not start at Houston or really keep the job full time at Central Michigan. I don't know the reason he left and you don't either. I'd wager it had a lot to do with Jones refusing to accept that he had won the job over his chosen.

Except... he didn't do that either. They handed him the job after the 2018 season and started trying to build him up. They knew what they had in Shrout and knew Maurer was unlikely to be ready. JG STILL lost the job 3 games in. If Maurer had not gotten injured... it is unlikely JG would have started again.

AND REMINDER... the fact that a comparison can be made between a true Fr who NO ONE thinks was ready and a RS Jr... tells you all you need to know about how good the RS Jr is. It doesn't tell you much about the Fr... but a TON about the RS Jr.

QD got beat out and beat no one. JG was better with the same team.

Omg you’re something else! Calloway did NOT have to slow down. At all. He didn’t even have to make ANY KIND of adjustment. No having to fade inside or out, slow down or speed up. All he had to do was put his hands up. And if you can’t see that he was better vs better competition then you sir are just selectively blind.

He did slow down. He didn't have to stop completely though.

He did slow down. Luckily they had no respect for the pass and sold out on the run so much that he was so open it didn't matter.

He did slow down. Luckily they had no respect for the pass and sold out on the run so much that he was so open it didn't matter.
Thats pretty much been the case with any of our recent QBs.

Please explain to VN where you see him slow down, speed up, fade inside or out or any other sort of adjustment.

I’ll be expecting your disappearance

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
After burning the coverage and catching the pass in stride he did slow down a little as he trotted into the end zone.
Lol. I did see that much. But KTown claims he had to slow down to make the catch. I’m seriously interested when that happened because the video doesn’t show it

Nope. Even John Kelly let that cat out of the bag before the season started.

If "better" is scoring less points and winning fewer games.... then you can make that argument. Offensive production fell from 333.4 ypg to 260.8 ypg. The O produced over 300 yds in 4 of Dormady's 5 starts. They went over 300 yds ONLY against a really bad So Miss team after JG became the starter. The O scored 24.2 ppg behind QD... which is pathetic. They scored 16.7 ppg behind JG.

JG was MUCH worse... with the same team. His "numbers" were pumped with hyper-safe, ineffective passes.

This is just a simple denial of reality. You can hate Maurer all you like. But that ball was perfectly led, on time, and on target. The truly stupid part of what you just wrote is that JG missed the same route with DWA wide open in a previous game. UGA had good reason to prepare for that play.

Maurer made plenty of mistakes.... the kind you expect a Fr to make and especially if they aren't really ready to play on a time working through some "issues". But your attempts to spin everything negative is just dishonest... about what we should expect from you.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Lol. I did see that much. But KTown claims he had to slow down to make the catch. I’m seriously interested when that happened because the video doesn’t show it
when somebody not even involved comes in a proves you wrong....and you still argue....its YOU!

He started......and both spent the exact same time under Chaney because Maurer enrolled early so what you are saying makes absolutely no sense at all. JG being a RS Jr at that point in the season or any last yr was damn near irrelevant because it was the 4th system he has been in.....and Jim Chaney explained it very well in an article. Maurer is on his first, so he just had to learn Chaney's system, in which they started in on it at the same time.

Maurer was given a simple read and when UGA and other teams took that read away, he was terrible!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
when somebody not even involved comes in a proves you wrong....and you still argue....its YOU!
You obviously have comprehension problems. That was a sarcastic response to KTowns claim that he had to slow down to make the catch.

He started......and both spent the exact same time under Chaney because Maurer enrolled early so what you are saying makes absolutely no sense at all. JG being a RS Jr at that point in the season or any last yr was damn near irrelevant because it was the 4th system he has been in.....and Jim Chaney explained it very well in an article. Maurer is on his first, so he just had to learn Chaney's system, in which they started in on it at the same time.

Maurer was given a simple read and when UGA and other teams took that read away, he was terrible!
So let’s get this straight. You, lexkyvol, are on record with the belief that offense and defense do NOT compliment each other as you stated in post #222 AS WELL AS your belief that experience as a qb means nothing as stated in post #241? Is that what you’re saying? Because I’m sure there are several that are waiting for you to cancel yourself out of any opinions football related from this point forward.

After burning the coverage and catching the pass in stride he did slow down a little as he trotted into the end zone.
He slowed down after being wide open because they did not respect the pass or even think we would attempt one. Nice job by Chaney catching them off balance for a wide open play.

At the 4 and 5 second mark. He decelerated then accelerated after the catch. You can see him slow down a tad then turn it back on.

You literally cannot throw that pass any better.

Yes you can. You can hit it in full stride. If there was any defense at all around it would have been incomplete.

I used to say the same about Dormady when he hit a few wide open passes and people went stupid. I was proven right. Just like this year. When the teams played the pass any vs Bm he was bad.

He slowed down after being wide open because they did not respect the pass or even think we would attempt one. Nice job by Chaney catching them off balance for a wide open play.

At the 4 and 5 second mark. He decelerated then accelerated after the catch. You can see him slow down a tad then turn it back on.

Yes you can. You can hit it in full stride. If there was any defense at all around it would have been incomplete.

I used to say the same about Dormady when he hit a few wide open passes and people went stupid. I was proven right. Just like this year. When the teams played the pass any vs Bm he was bad.
You should learn your football. They were playing pass on that play which would explain the safety help over the top. I believe it was cover 2. But the safety bit on the dbl move. You need to find a new delirious argument because you’re losing that one. They respected the pass all game long. Just as MSU did. Just as Alabama did. Guess what...... not one of those teams shut down the pass at any point.

I’ve watched that highlight over and over after you said what you said and AT NO POINT did he slow down outside of what comes natural on such a route. Of coarse he slowed to make his dbl move. That ball couldn’t have been thrown any better. Face it....you’re wrong.....again.

That ball was perfectly thrown in every way. The trajectory was perfect. The velocity was perfect. It fell into Calloways hands as if it were handed to him. You can’t change video.

No. He didn't slow down. He just didn't. Unlike virtually every deep throw made by JG... the DB had no opportunity to close the distance.

They weren't "caught" off guard any more than when JG missed the same pattern to DWA against a previous opponent.

You are just acting plain stupid now. He hit him full stride.... and the reason there was no defense around is that MC ran the route well on a great play call... and Maurer delivered the ball on time and in stride.

I used to say the same about Dormady when he hit a few wide open passes and people went stupid. I was proven right.
No. You simply weren't. Not even close. And if you can write this while ignoring how poorly JG has performed on throws like this over his ENTIRE CAREER... then it just proves how completely dishonest you are.

Just like this year. When the teams played the pass any vs Bm he was bad.
Um, nope. His numbers were actually better vs better opponents when games were competitive. His "trash time" play didn't produce good stats.

Was he "great"? No. He played like a Fr who was not really ready to play. The problem with your position is that you are defending a RS Jr... who wasn't any more effective in moving the O or scoring points. If anything, Maurer performed better in competitive play vs the better opponents he faced. JG saved his WORST for the best opponents... 107 yds and 2 INT's vs UF... 1 for 5 vs UGA... 7/16 for 55 yds and the boneheaded move of the decade vs Bama... NOT TO MENTION finishing the season the way he did vs IU and Vandy.

If a true Fr had that kind of poor performance mixed in with a couple of good games then you take hope in the "potential". When it is a RS Jr... different story. But you are completely blind to that fact.

@1vol8 and @sjt18
You are both just wrong. MC slowed down, he went faster after the catch. If he never slowed down he would not have been able to accelerate after the catch due to already being at his top speed.

Yes every team that played the pass shut BM down as evidenced by below 47% passing and a ton of turnovers.

@1vol8 and @sjt18
You are both just wrong. MC slowed down, he went faster after the catch. If he never slowed down he would not have been able to accelerate after the catch due to already being at his top speed.

Yes every team that played the pass shut BM down as evidenced by below 47% passing and a ton of turnovers.
We are both wrong but VIDEO doesn’t show it? Is that really your stance? I’d stop if I were you because you’re proving every negative comment ever made towards you correct. Sjt18 must have told you a thousand times how dishonest you are and anyone wondering why up to this point will have to wonder no more. Perhaps you should start a pole with the video attached to see how many agree with you.

We are both wrong but VIDEO doesn’t show it? Is that really your stance? I’d stop if I were you because you’re proving every negative comment ever made towards you correct. Sjt18 must have told you a thousand times how dishonest you are and anyone wondering why up to this point will have to wonder no more. Perhaps you should start a pole with the video attached to see how many agree with you.
lol ok. He was not running full sprint the whole time. After he caught it he went faster because he SLOWED DOWN. It doesn't really matter. Due to no respect he was wide open.

BM did well to take advantage bravo.

lol ok. He was not running full sprint the whole time. After he caught it he went faster because he SLOWED DOWN. It doesn't really matter. Due to no respect he was wide open.

BM did well to take advantage bravo.
Maurer threw it perfectly for whatever the speed he was running at the time of release. Simple as that. THERE WAS NO SLOW DOWN AT ANY POINT OF THAT ROUTE AND VIDEO SHOWS IT. YOU CANT CHANGE IT NOR TALK ANYONE INTO SEEING WHAT YOU “WISH” WERE THERE.

VN Store

Back