JG’s Growth at QB

@1vol8 and @sjt18
You are both just wrong. MC slowed down, he went faster after the catch. If he never slowed down he would not have been able to accelerate after the catch due to already being at his top speed.

Yes every team that played the pass shut BM down as evidenced by below 47% passing and a ton of turnovers.
You... are a fundamentally dishonest person. If ANYONE here had any doubts... your "perspective" on Maurer's pass to MC proves it conclusively.

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and 1vol8
He started......and both spent the exact same time under Chaney because Maurer enrolled early so what you are saying makes absolutely no sense at all. JG being a RS Jr at that point in the season or any last yr was damn near irrelevant because it was the 4th system he has been in.....and Jim Chaney explained it very well in an article. Maurer is on his first, so he just had to learn Chaney's system, in which they started in on it at the same time.
If JG truly did not benefit from the coaching, practice experience, and game experience he got in the previous 3 years... then they should have taken his scholarship away.

Maurer was given a simple read and when UGA and other teams took that read away, he was terrible!
Pure BS. You are parroting k-town... or else ARE k-town. I know it would help you "win" if I bought your straw man. I don't. Maurer had no business playing early. If he had been the only option from the start and they had poured the time into him they did JG... then maybe you play and protect him. He ONLY played because JG even after they made him the starter and did everything they could to build him up... stank.

Maurer was about what you would expect per his experience and development. JG wasn't... and he wasn't close for much of the year... especially the first 3 games and the last two. He played like a back up and oddly... played his best as a back up.

Do you give a true Fr a lot of complex looks and reads? No. Do you try to make a lot of things simple for them? Yes. Are you surprised when they make mistakes? No. Maurer handled about what you expect a true Fr to handle. JG... did not perform even close to the level you expect a 4th year guy with 3 years starting experience to play.

This isn't an argument about Maurer being "great" and JG being awful... it is about Maurer being a mistake prone Fr and JG being average at his best moments and really bad at his worst.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
If JG truly did not benefit from the coaching, practice experience, and game experience he got in the previous 3 years... then they should have taken his scholarship away.

Pure BS. You are parroting k-town... or else ARE k-town. I know it would help you "win" if I bought your straw man. I don't. Maurer had no business playing early. If he had been the only option from the start and they had poured the time into him they did JG... then maybe you play and protect him. He ONLY played because JG even after they made him the starter and did everything they could to build him up... stank.

Maurer was about what you would expect per his experience and development. JG wasn't... and he wasn't close for much of the year... especially the first 3 games and the last two. He played like a back up and oddly... played his best as a back up.

Do you give a true Fr a lot of complex looks and reads? No. Do you try to make a lot of things simple for them? Yes. Are you surprised when they make mistakes? No. Maurer handled about what you expect a true Fr to handle. JG... did not perform even close to the level you expect a 4th year guy with 3 years starting experience to play.

This isn't an argument about Maurer being "great" and JG being awful... it is about Maurer being a mistake prone Fr and JG being average at his best moments and really bad at his worst.
One point I think a lot of people are missing as well is the fact that Chaney put the ball in the air much more than you’d expect for a freshman as well. Thus creating more mistakes and/or teachable moments in the film room. Because of that there’s a possibility that Maurer makes the biggest improvement if things had went as scheduled without Covid.

when somebody not even involved comes in a proves you wrong....and you still argue....its YOU!
I didn't prove him wrong, I was joking with him. He had said something to the effect of "tell/show me where he slowed down..." in his previous post.
He slowed down after being wide open because they did not respect the pass or even think we would attempt one. Nice job by Chaney catching them off balance for a wide open play.
Yes. He was wide open when he caught the ball in stride & then slowed down.

For the record I'm pretty neutral guys. Since last season I've repeatedly stated I think we're gonna need JG & BM this coming season.

Reactions: 1vol8
One point I think a lot of people are missing as well is the fact that Chaney put the ball in the air much more than you’d expect for a freshman as well. Thus creating more mistakes and/or teachable moments in the film room. Because of that there’s a possibility that Maurer makes the biggest improvement if things had went as scheduled without Covid.
The clowns keep doing their thing... but UT did pass more with Maurer in the game. It wouldn't be difficult to do a run/pass comparison between the two. It would just take a little time going through game stats. Contrary to what some are trying to say... I don't think that was lost on opponents when Maurer was in the game.

Also in spite of what Lexy tried to say, JG's greatest advantage was experience. IMHO, he actually managed the run game well over the last few games. That's not a small thing or advantage. UT was decidedly more effective running the ball at the end of the season... which is good considering how ineffective JG was as a passer.

The clowns keep doing their thing... but UT did pass more with Maurer in the game. It wouldn't be difficult to do a run/pass comparison between the two. It would just take a little time going through game stats. Contrary to what some are trying to say... I don't think that was lost on opponents when Maurer was in the game.

Also in spite of what Lexy tried to say, JG's greatest advantage was experience. IMHO, he actually managed the run game well over the last few games. That's not a small thing or advantage. UT was decidedly more effective running the ball at the end of the season... which is good considering how ineffective JG was as a passer.
Very few things I disagree with you on and this isn’t one of them. I really am hoping JG has a great season because I do like the kid and I do believe it’s there if he lets himself tap into it. That being said I can’t just let the “three amigos” take anything away from Maurer as if there wasn’t extenuating circumstances. I find myself wondering how much better he would’ve been if Pruitt had at least equaled the opportunities in spring. They can like it or not but that time would’ve been HUGE.

You failed to mention that the Fr couldn't physically make it past halftime and the one time he could have he stunk up the place. You also failed to mention the 3 or 4 2nd half come from behind victories the RS JR led us to, 1 on the road vs a good SEC football team and the bowl game win in which all other QBs in college football were like 0-274 in the same situation last year. You also failed to mention the shredding of a good SEC pass defense, another SEC ROAD victory, all QB qualities that you evidently don't value at all.

You failed to mention that the Fr couldn't physically make it past halftime and the one time he could have he stunk up the place. You also failed to mention the 3 or 4 2nd half come from behind victories the RS JR led us to, 1 on the road vs a good SEC football team and the bowl game win in which all other QBs in college football were like 0-274 in the same situation last year. You also failed to mention the shredding of a good SEC pass defense, another SEC ROAD victory, all QB qualities that you evidently don't value at all.
- I’m assuming you’re talking about UK because that was by far his worst game? Would you feel the same if he’d finished the game 27/50(ish) for 300 yards and 6 rushes for 60 as a freshman returning from injury? Because those would’ve been his ball park numbers if he had just continued playing the way he was playing in the second quarter. Sorry dude..... but that’s hardly “stinking up the place”. And once again, YOU fail to mention that a lingering concussion has NOTHING to with physical strength.

- 3 or 4 second half victories? Which ones were they? Because I count 1. UK. I have a feeling you’re TRYING to include MSU in that “3 or 4” but we had the lead when JG took over. Still doesn’t add up anyway.

I have zero faith in JG. I was hoping someone would beat him out in the spring, but that was not to be. I am really hopeful Maurer will split 1st team snaps in practice come July & August. Logic tells me a more experienced Maurer, will have more than a decent chance to be at least serviceable. I think he has moxie, but most if all, has what JG doesn't...cool under pressure.

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and 1vol8
You failed to mention that the Fr couldn't physically make it past halftime and the one time he could have he stunk up the place.
No. I simply didn't make that point because it is manifestly STUPID to hold a freak fall like that against a player. I have long said that Maurer COULD be susceptible to concussions. Some people are. It isn't anything they have done or haven't done... we're just all made different. You have constantly claimed it was tied to physical development. Unless there is an exercise to thicken your skull and increase the fluid barrier around your brain... you're wrong.

You also failed to mention the 3 or 4 2nd half come from behind victories the RS JR led us to, 1 on the road vs a good SEC football team and the bowl game win in which all other QBs in college football were like 0-274 in the same situation last year.
LOL... he plays so poorly against weak opponents that a "come back" is necessary... and you want to praise him for the come back? If we were talking about top tier opponents then you'd have a point. We aren't. We're talking about UK and IU. I'm not sure what other "come backs" you could be referring to where his passing was critical to the win.

You also failed to mention the shredding of a good SEC pass defense, another SEC ROAD victory, all QB qualities that you evidently don't value at all.
Those are things your RS Jr should be capable of... consistently. I suppose you were talking about Mizzou. That was a very good performance as was Auburn the year before. That would be GREAT if he were a rising true Soph.... not so much for a rising RS Sr.

You and your "twins" keep trying to make this a choice between a good and bad option. It wasn't. It was a choice between a Fr who you'd expect to be a "bad" option... and a RS Jr who shouldn't have been a bad option by that point in his career. At his best moments, JG is average.... at his worst... he's very bad. Maurer had flashes but also a lot of mistakes... pretty much what you should expect in his situation.

One guy played about like you'd expect. Not better. Not great. The other guy played below reasonable expectations.

Reactions: JOHN ROCKER
I have zero faith in JG. I was hoping someone would beat him out in the spring, but that was not to be. I am really hopeful Maurer will split 1st team snaps in practice come July & August. Logic tells me a more experienced Maurer, will have more than a decent chance to be at least serviceable. I think he has moxie, but most if all, has what JG doesn't...cool under pressure.
I "like" all of them including JG. I just try to be objective when looking at them.

I don't know what HB is or can be at the college level. His ranking is encouraging but there are MANY highly ranked guys who never translated to the college game well.

Shrout has the physical tools but has not come along mentally like you'd hope. I have no idea whether it is his work ethic or ability. But his hope is that when he finally "gets it"... there will be an opportunity not unlike what happened to Trask.

Maurer to me looks like a high risk/high reward type of player. If he develops and responds to coaching then I think you'll see some really good plays... with some really boneheaded plays mixed in. I think his ceiling is determined by learning to be more cautious. He believes he can force the ball in anywhere. He got away with it at times.... other times he didn't. He also read D's like a Fr. That part of his game MUST get better.

I think JG is at or near his ceiling. He seems to lack the innate ability to read and react quickly and to anticipate throws. I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of effort or desire. Some people just do not have those abilities to the extent others do. I would LOVE to be wrong. It only helps the Vols if he plays like a RS Sr should. But these problems have consistently manifested themselves in different ways since the first time he took a competitive snap for UT. He played skittish. He's improved but those natural limits still seem to be there.

When looking at this group, the one you can be most certain about is JG. We just have a larger set of data to evaluate. There are far more unknowns with the others.

There is a reason JG wasn't allowed to attempt more than 8 passes versus Kentucky..

Reactions: 1vol8
There is a reason JG wasn't allowed to attempt more than 8 passes versus Kentucky..
To me it was obvious how Chaney felt about each of the qbs based on play calling alone. We had the ball a grand total of 8 min and 34 seconds in the first half vs UK. The ball went in the air nearly 20 times. But KTown, Pulaski and lexkyvol will try and convince people that the coach”s” (plural) didn’t believe in Maurer. 🤔 makes you wonder why Chaney must be trying to get fired then huh?

No. I simply didn't make that point because it is manifestly STUPID to hold a freak fall like that against a player. I have long said that Maurer COULD be susceptible to concussions. Some people are. It isn't anything they have done or haven't done... we're just all made different. You have constantly claimed it was tied to physical development. Unless there is an exercise to thicken your skull and increase the fluid barrier around your brain... you're wrong.

LOL... he plays so poorly against weak opponents that a "come back" is necessary... and you want to praise him for the come back? If we were talking about top tier opponents then you'd have a point. We aren't. We're talking about UK and IU. I'm not sure what other "come backs" you could be referring to where his passing was critical to the win.

Those are things your RS Jr should be capable of... consistently. I suppose you were talking about Mizzou. That was a very good performance as was Auburn the year before. That would be GREAT if he were a rising true Soph.... not so much for a rising RS Sr.

You and your "twins" keep trying to make this a choice between a good and bad option. It wasn't. It was a choice between a Fr who you'd expect to be a "bad" option... and a RS Jr who shouldn't have been a bad option by that point in his career. At his best moments, JG is average.... at his worst... he's very bad. Maurer had flashes but also a lot of mistakes... pretty much what you should expect in his situation.

One guy played about like you'd expect. Not better. Not great. The other guy played below reasonable expectations.
Like I said JG has shown that he has indeed performed well enough in certain situations that has helped the Vols win football games. Those qualities I listed obviously don't mean anything to you. You're a fraud if you don't believe that a QB playing well in the 4th quarter leading to come from behind wins on the road isn't a great asset for a QB. JG was 13-15 for 220 yards with 3 TDs and 0 ints in wins vs Ky/MSU. Tell me again about how he can't process fast enough? Keep trolling ol JG though, it's definitely entertaining, just wish all you neverJG guys would come up with some new exciting material rather than the same old nonsense you continue to spew.

Right..thats exactly what Chaney dialed up I bet.........
Did you not watch the game? Do you not understand Coach Pruitt's style of play? JG was 7 of 8 with a QB rating of 290 in the 2nd half, really just the 3rd quarter of that game, I think he executed Coach Pruitt and Chaney's game plan to a T and it's just plain dumb to think they would not let JG throw more with those numbers. Had we needed to throw more in the 2nd half we would have and based on JG numbers that day we would have likely been successful.

Reactions: k-town_king

VN Store

Back