Is this one of the other reasons the Lady Vols are struggling in HS recruiting?

It's good that Tennessee's SEC schedule has been on the lighter side so far because it gave the Lady Vols time to develop some chemistry as both Jackson and Key have been re-integrating into the game.

But we need to temper expectations a bit as our team approaches more difficult stretches, eventually culminating in playing potential future NCAA one-seeds even before SEC Tournament time.

Gotta find a way to win some of the nationally televised games, too. Tennessee needs to score well on committee members' eye tests going into Selection Week.

Reactions: travis929 and glv98
So you're thinking Florida just picked up their 2 high school All Americans because of their outstanding record the last 4 years or
what about southern California getting last year's number one and 3 McDonald's all Americans this year? Clemson just got their all American out of Tennessee after it coming down to UConn Tennessee and them. Not sure school records have as much to do with it as you may think.
Both USC and Florida did what Tennessee didn’t….kept their AA home. Records or not, it came down to relationship and closing. We had a unicorn year of Berry and Cambridge and came up empty. Now look at USC-West, two years ago at the bottom of the PAC12 to ranked and knocking off the #2 team this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
IMO one of our big problems has been trying to "resuscitate" something that's been dead for almost two decades. Of course that's a normal tendency with something and someone so iconic as Pat and the Glory Days. But that's a lost cause. Clinging to that instead of moving on has really hurt us

We need a dynamic coach who can create a new tradition, while always honoring the past but keeping it in the background. Let the old days finally rest in peace.
Its sad but I liken it to the Wooden UCLA 1960s they got all the best players even their 2nd team would have finished it the Top 25. They won Nattys from 1964 to 1976 only missing the Natty in 1966 & 1974. They finally put the Wooden era to rest & won another in 1995 it can be done but it took UCLA 2 decades 20 years. In the era where 3 or 4 teams dominated TV games every year until the tournament and just on Saturdays no week day games. SEC played on weekends on regional broadcast Jefferson Pilot. There was no ESPN until early 1980 and they started as a regional TV in Connecticut and started doing weekday replays of Big East teams and realized there was a market for it and TV/advertising works they started broadcasting Big East teams and all the best players wanted to go there & Georgetown Syracuse, St Johns, etal and others blew up.
The same with Pats teams got all the best Players/teams. In the era where 3 or 4 teams where the only National TV games every year in the single digits very few, everyone wanted to be a Lady Vol. Some of the best teams in the Nation in those days where Old Dominion & Louisiana Tech and there where very few African American girls playing basketball at that time. The last Natty was 2008 so 20 years is 2028. It can happen again but the dynamics of the competition IMO is like UCLA trying to replicate the 60s in the 1980s just a different era. TV changed the dynamics then and I think NIL & Portal will change the dynamics presently when we look back on this era in 20 years.

Reactions: PRG and chuckiepoo
Has anyone actually talked to recruits en masse about their decision-making? I would be fascinated to hear what anonymized reporting on, for example, high school players at the McDonald’s All American game vs. players in the transfer portal’s priorities in programs. Football and WBB are (obviously) very different, but there’s some reports that suggest players were willing to forgo NIL to play for Saban. I think if we could better understand the calculus behind recruits, realizing high school and transfer are different, we might also be better at isolating why we are missing some of our targets. 🤷🏼‍♀️

It's good that Tennessee's SEC schedule has been on the lighter side so far because it gave the Lady Vols time to develop some chemistry as both Jackson and Key have been re-integrating into the game.

But we need to temper expectations a bit as our team approaches more difficult stretches, eventually culminating in playing potential future NCAA one-seeds even before SEC Tournament time.

Gotta find a way to win some of the nationally televised games, too. Tennessee needs to score well on committee members' eye tests going into Selection Week.
I'd argue we're about to go into the easiest part of the schedule before we get into the very end where we play LSU and So Car twice. Sunday at Ole Miss is huge, and on national tv. A big challenge, but a real opportunity. After that, we have four very winnable games, at Georgia, Missouri at home, at Alabama, and Arkansas at home. If things go right Sunday, we could well go into the first So Car game in mid Feb at 10-1 in conf and in second place. Things will feel wonderful right up until tipoff of that game, lol.

While the two SC games aren't likely to end well, we have somewhat of a shot at LSU at home. Vandy in Nashville will be tough, but again, very doable. Then the last home game is TAM at home.

I mean, God willing and the creeks don't rise, we could end up 12-4 in conf. Even if we drop one of the doables, 11-5 should have us comfortably in 3rd, back in the NCAA tourney, and with a bye in the SEC tourney.

Has anyone actually talked to recruits en masse about their decision-making? I would be fascinated to hear what anonymized reporting on, for example, high school players at the McDonald’s All American game vs. players in the transfer portal’s priorities in programs. Football and WBB are (obviously) very different, but there’s some reports that suggest players were willing to forgo NIL to play for Saban. I think if we could better understand the calculus behind recruits, realizing high school and transfer are different, we might also be better at isolating why we are missing some of our targets. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Portal players transferring to play for Saban have a good chance of playing 1-2 years and getting drafted in rounds 1-3. Pays for itself

He’s a proven winner with the high in high school recruits. His track record speaks for itself.

Biggest problem at UT is recruiting, hands down. Sorry folks but the Pat era is over and has been for over a decade. It's a new Landscape and you have to adapt to survive. White has to get some NIL $ flowing to the Lady Vols or they'll never make up the gap. If you can't attract top talent, then you'll never be a top program, period.

Portal players transferring to play for Saban have a good chance of playing 1-2 years and getting drafted in rounds 1-3. Pays for itself

He’s a proven winner with the high in high school recruits. His track record speaks for itself.

But in WBB the college players make more in NCAA NIL than with the W. Plus, the entire NCAA environment is better.

But in WBB the college players make more in NCAA NIL than with the W. Plus, the entire NCAA environment is better.
The previous poster stated that kids would bypass in NIL to play for Nick Saban. I don’t disagree on NIL for women’s basketball, as I stated just a few days ago did Rickea return to get better or did she return to get more money.

Reactions: KTrain and 37620VOL
Backers of the W are screaming that that perception if wrong and unfair. They say NIL endorsements carry over to the W. I suspect that's true for the top 2 or 3 like Paige, CC, and Boston, but probably not much farther than that. Which is why even the best or the rest play overseas during the off season.
The previous poster stated that kids would bypass in NIL to play for Nick Saban. I don’t disagree on NIL for women’s basketball, as I stated just a few days ago did Rickea return to get better or did she return to get more money.
Mature, unbiased thinking would know it was not on an absolute on either side. Life doesn't usually work like that. Of course the financials had to be there, but she made it known she wanted to stay for all the other reasons as well, so they found the money.

There's a nice interview fm last spring where RJ discussed this, plus the difference in what a hs recruit looks for as opposed to what a portal player looks for several years later. I'll try to find that later today when I have more time.

Also, whatever the thinking was last year, she certainly now sees the value beyond the cash of staying. Listen to her interview w Brian last week. It was exactly the right decision for her.

Backers of the W are screaming that that preception if wrong and unfair. They say NIL endorsements carry over to the W. I suspect that's true for the top 2 or 3 like Paige, CC, and Boston. But probably not much farther than that. Which is why even the best or the rest play overseas during the off season.

Mature, unbiased thinking would know it was not on an absolute on either side. Life doesn't usually work like that. Of course the financials had to be there, but she made it known she wanted to stay for all the other reasons as well, so they found the money.

There's a nice interview fm last spring where RJ discussed this, plus the difference in what a hs recruit looks for as opposed to what a portal player looks for several years later. I'll try to find that later today when I have more time.

Also, whatever the thinking was last year, she certainly now sees the value beyond the cash of staying. Listen to her interview w Brian last week. It was exactly the right decision for her.
PR move. She was a lottery pick last year and she’ll be a lottery pick this year. You don’t say you came back for the money only you soften the blow by saying you needed areas to work on.

PR move. She was a lottery pick last year and she’ll be a lottery pick this year. You don’t say you came back for the money only you soften the blow by saying you needed areas to work on
So there's no possibility anyone involved is telling the truth? In spite of all available evidence? There can be only one answer and it's the negative one?

My man, your cynicism knows no bounds. Go ahead and wallow in that sad pond.

So there's no possibility anyone involved is telling the truth? In spite of all available evidence? There can be only one answer and it's the negative one?

My man, your cynicism knows no bounds. Go ahead and wallow in that sad pond.
if the WNBA paid on average two hundred and fifty thousand to half a million for slotted lottery picks, would we have this conversation ? Not sure that’s cynicism but more capitalism.

Who would make a move to make less money when all options are on the table? Very few.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsc1973
if the WNBA paid on average two hundred and fifty thousand to half a million for slotted lottery picks, would we have this conversation ? Not sure that’s cynicism but more capitalism.

Who would make a move to make less money when all options are on the table? Very few.

Backers of the W are screaming that that perception if wrong and unfair. They say NIL endorsements carry over to the W. I suspect that's true for the top 2 or 3 like Paige, CC, and Boston, but probably not much farther than that. Which is why even the best or the rest play overseas during the off season.

100% with Majors on this. There are the strong rumors that Ms Clark is getting over $1m to return for a final year. Who wouldn't return? The Nike deals and such may carry over to the W but the local deals that most players are getting are year-to-year and are constructed so that the player would have a difficult time completing the terms unless they are still at the local University. These deals, like our own Ms Jackson's are multiples more than they would receive in the W and the quality of life is so much better than life in the W.

100% with Majors on this. There are the strong rumors that Ms Clark is getting over $1m to return for a final year. Who wouldn't return? The Nike deals and such may carry over to the W but the local deals that most players are getting are year-to-year and are constructed so that the player would have a difficult time completing the terms unless they are still at the local University. These deals, like our own Ms Jackson's are multiples more than they would receive in the W and the quality of life is so much better than life in the W.
Clark deal allowed for her to get her entire team NIKE shoes of her own line. Could she have for the same in the WNBA, sure as a face of the company.

Well duh, Capt. Obvious of course when players can get more money going than staying more will go. That's not hard.

But it also has zero to do with the question you brought up: did RJ stay only for the money or to get better at the game and in life. Of course the answer, as with most things in mature life, is all of the above. Which she's said and we've known for almost a year now. But you didn't leave room for that real life nuance, and instead concluded RJ came back only for the money. Also that she's lying all the times she's explained ALL the reasons. Like earlier this week.

But for a true cynical nilist for whom there is no truth, no facts, everyone's bad and all are the same bad, there's no reasoning. So have a great day!

Last edited:
CC's deals will likely carry over, or she'll get new ones. Probably true for the top handful, maybe 3 or 4. But probably not for the vast majority of draftees and W players. That's why even the best W players like Naphresa Collier still head overseas every year. And Collier has small children!

You can see overseas play for a young player trying to develop or a someone trying to break into the league. But when established players like Collier and Saboly are no longer putting their bodies and families through that, we'll know there's decent money in the W. And when college players start going more than staying, we'll know the NIL truly carries over.

Reactions: 37620VOL
Well duh, Capt. Obvious of course when players can get more money going than staying more will go. That's not hard.

But it also has zero to do with the question you brought up: did RJ stay only for the money or to get better at the game and in life. Of course the answer, as with most things in mature life, is all of the above. Which she's said and we've known for almost a year now. But you didn't leave room for that real life nuance, and instead concluded RJ came back only for the money. Also that she's lying all the times she's explained ALL the reasons. Like earlier this week.

But for a true cynical nilist for whom there is no truth, no facts, everyone's bad and all are the same bad, there's no reasoning. So have a great day!
Where did I say she lied? I stated PR move to the audience she’s speaking to and wanting to promote her events.

Reactions: mcannon1
PR move. She was a lottery pick last year and she’ll be a lottery pick this year. You don’t say you came back for the money only you soften the blow by saying you needed areas to work on.
PR move, soften the blow, equals not telling the truth equals lying.

I know you actually know there were lots of reasons, money being one.

Let’s be honest…if Tamari was such a great player, she’d be an all American and would’ve already gone to the WNBA. I know she’s had health problems, but she wasn’t any better before the issues. She’s tall and that’s where her game stops. She’s slow, isn’t a great defender unless she’s in a 2 ft box, and has never been able to score at will. She’ll be back again next year for her 10th year of eligibility and because her coaches don’t know how to develop players she will be the same ol player. Harper and her staff is the issue. They are not developing players and they aren’t tough.

Clark won't be hurting for money whether she stays in school or not. Endorsement checks are going to roll in no matter what she decides, so she really doesn't need NIL contracts.

PR move, soften the blow, equals not telling the truth equals lying.

I know you actually know there were lots of reasons, money being one.
Soften the blow of saying anything other than the reason of more money. PR move to those that help pay the NIL (corporate, fans, season ticket holders). Media 101 dont say anything that’ll tick off the sponsors.

VN Store

Back