Is this one of the other reasons the Lady Vols are struggling in HS recruiting?

Rickea is a star, Jewel is also pretty good.

Tamari of two year ago would fall in that category but she just isn't able to give them that much (not her fault, just reality). Jasmine Powell is okay but isn't exactly great at decision making, Jillian is incredibly athletic yet hasn't show more than a couple of glimpses she can play in 1.5 seasons.

It's possible another coach could get more out of Powell and Hollingshead but they've not shown me a lot of potential to be an impact player at a top flight program.
This is Powell’s 5th year playing college basketball, what else y think another coach can do? plenty of things wrong that I won’t comment about.

Last edited:
If that was the case, we wouldn't be listed in the final few for most of the top recruits that we didn't get.

I can tell you that we were outbid in NIL money on many of these.
Listing is not the problem, landing is. The Lady Vols have not landed enough HS players imo.

That’s great and you keep saying that…we weren’t getting them before NIL. I’m sure you have some believing that though. We managed a Top 7 portal class and secured Rickea…but NIL is the problem.
And also in recent years the Lady Vols brand hasn't been strong enough to convince players such as Kiyomi McMiller (Rutgers), S'mya Nichols (Kansas), and Amiya Joyner (East Carolina!) to leave their home state. Nichols is currently averaging 14 points per game as a freshman and would have provided the LVs a good replacement for Jackson in the starting lineup when she was injured. Joyner is an undersized forward who would have provided the LVs some toughness inside.

Reactions: travis929
And also in recent years the Lady Vols brand hasn't been strong enough to convince players such as Kiyomi McMiller (Rutgers), S'mya Nichols (Kansas), and Amiya Joyner (East Carolina!) to leave their home state. Nichols is currently averaging 14 points per game as a freshman and would have provided the LVs a good replacement for Jackson in the starting lineup when she was injured. Joyner is an undersized forward who would have provided the LVs some toughness inside.
Agree on the brand, and not every player wants to leave the state they grew up in. Realistically should we be losing kids to Rutgers, Kansas and ECU?

Reactions: lfvol
Agree on the brand, and not every player wants to leave the state they grew up in. Realistically should we be losing kids to Rutgers, Kansas and ECU?
But not every player wants to stay in the state they grew up in. Like Tamari Key, Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson for example. And if we're losing them to Rutgers, Kansas, and ECU are they SEC level players or would it be more settling by us? It's complicated.

But not every player wants to stay in the state they grew up in. Like Tamari Key, Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson for example. And if we're losing them to Rutgers, Kansas, and ECU are they SEC level players or would it be more settling by us? It's complicated.
First part is obvious based on majority of the rosters in all sports. The second part and what you stated is a concern within itself and this staffs recruiting board. With that said, MTSU gave our SEC players more than they could handle and a loss.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Wasn’t Powell all B1G freshman team and all B1G 2nd team as a soph?
Yes, but really tapered off her Jr yr, which I think was a bad yr in general for Minn and obviously she wasn't happy.

JP is a player I think KJH has done a good job with. I think she's gotten every ounce from her, just like Jordan Walker. I just think there's a ceiling there. To her credit, JP has played right at that ceiling pretty much all season.

The second part and what you stated is a concern within itself and this staffs recruiting board.
It's kind of the eternal dilemia for programs in our tweener situation. Take the middlings you can get or hold out for the elusive elites. It's the exact situation that dogs our roster right now. We have middlers that frustrate us but we also have huge roster holes from the period where we tried to hold out for elites.

This will ruffle some feathers, but we shouldn’t have allowed Pat to hand pick her successor. Nick Saban is the greatest college football coach of all time, just like at the time Pat was the GOAT of her sport. But Alabama still conducted a coaching search to replace him. When you vacate the job you should have no further influence over it. No matter who you are.
Not sure why that should ruffle any feathers. I agree completely.

Holly was getting the job when Pat stepped down. "Should" she have gotten the job? Maybe not, but after what had just gone on during the 2011-12 season Holly was going to be allowed to be the successor. Pat may have wanted to coach another year but her health unfortunately didn't permit it.

Would any other coach have wanted the job then? I highly doubt it. Holly earned the right to try but unfortunately she wasn't HC material overall.

I felt Harper was a good, not great, hire but she did the right things to put herself in the position to try. For whatever reason the school didn't appear to be willing to open their wallet for one of the coaches who had proven themselves elite and it's likely the old guard wouldn't have desired the LVs to be coached by a male. That really limited the number of options available.

I don't see UT ever being at the level of ODU or La Tech because being in the SEC is going to always get a program more attention and fanfare than a less prominent conference. However, the LVs don't have the talent to be nationally competitive right now and even the SEC rank will be middle of the pack at best.

If the LVs miss the tournament, Harper is probably out of a job. The question then becomes who takes her place?
A real problem is the field of great coaches WITH UNQUESTIONED INTEGRITY is pretty small. Pats legacy and DW’s apparent methodology. Some out there I bet and the distance in time from Pat while maintaining a lot of fan support should put us in the conversation when our AD judges it is the right time. Bet he has a grasp of the ENTIRE situation.

It is amazing to me the number of folks who say Holly was the perfect fit at the time. I could see from the start she was not Head Coach stock. She is the reason our program is where it is now. Her leadership coupled with the AD who thought she was the tonic the Lady Vol program needed

If you have a first rate program, and need to change coaches, you institute a nationwide search with no restrictions then choose not a campuswide search with restrictions

It is amazing to me the number of folks who say Holly was the perfect fit at the time. I could see from the start she was not Head Coach stock. She is the reason our program is where it is now. Her leadership coupled with the AD who thought she was the tonic the Lady Vol program needed

If you have a first rate program, and need to change coaches, you institute a nationwide search with no restrictions then choose not a campuswide search with restrictions
Can we just say the search was impeded by the staff at that time and let it rest? As great a coach and leader of women Pat was, she was not the AD.

She is also what held the program together. Easy choice when you see who’s been on the bench next to the legend. Equity when your number hags from the rafters. Dave Hart is a different situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVol1908
She is also what held the program together. Easy choice when you see who been on the bench next to the legend. Equity when you number hags from the rafters. Dave Hart is a different situation.
easy choice also easy fall for our program i am with you Thank God Holly was there to hold us together

Good players need a leader whom is going to prepare them for war and be in the trenches with them at time of big battles, making wartime decisions...ei, Dawn Staley, Kim Mulkey, Geno, Jolett McGuin and a few others...Do we have this right now?? 🤔

Last edited:
The following is the Lady Vols' record under Kellie on national tv:

2019-2020: 2 wins 5 losses (2 of the losses by double digit points)
'20 - '21: 3 - 4 ( 3 )
'21 - '22: 4 - 6 ( 5 )
'22 - '23: 4 - 9 ( 5 )
'23 - '24: 0 - 5 ( 3 )

13 wins 29 losses - 18 of the losses by double digits. Yikes!
I wonder if many of the top HS recruits and their advisors watched these games and deemed the LVs not competitive enough against teams they want to play. So, they chose other schools.

If you're asking why are they so successful in portal recruiting, perhaps the older players' priorities are different - want more national exposure regardless of the record, simply want to play against better competition, etc.
So you're thinking Florida just picked up their 2 high school All Americans because of their outstanding record the last 4 years or
what about southern California getting last year's number one and 3 McDonald's all Americans this year? Clemson just got their all American out of Tennessee after it coming down to UConn Tennessee and them. Not sure school records have as much to do with it as you may think.

Last edited:
Holly was getting the job when Pat stepped down. "Should" she have gotten the job? Maybe not, but after what had just gone on during the 2011-12 season Holly was going to be allowed to be the successor. Pat may have wanted to coach another year but her health unfortunately didn't permit it.

Would any other coach have wanted the job then? I highly doubt it. Holly earned the right to try but unfortunately she wasn't HC material overall.

I felt Harper was a good, not great, hire but she did the right things to put herself in the position to try. For whatever reason the school didn't appear to be willing to open their wallet for one of the coaches who had proven themselves elite and it's likely the old guard wouldn't have desired the LVs to be coached by a male. That really limited the number of options available.

I don't see UT ever being at the level of ODU or La Tech because being in the SEC is going to always get a program more attention and fanfare than a less prominent conference. However, the LVs don't have the talent to be nationally competitive right now and even the SEC rank will be middle of the pack at best.

If the LVs miss the tournament, Harper is probably out of a job. The question then becomes who takes her place?
Have you taken a look at the current SEC Records? Most teams have 4 or more league losses already. We will again be in the top three in the conference this year and we will also be in the tournament. Middle of the pack??? Get outta here. We haven't seen middle of the pack since Holly left...

Have you taken a look at the current SEC Records? Most teams have 4 or more league losses already. We will again be in the top three in the conference this year and we will also be in the tournament. Middle of the pack??? Get outta here. We haven't seen middle of the pack since Holly left...
I get it you and many others think Holly was terrific i am not here to change any minds

VN Store

Back