Inflation in your World

I haven't farted in mine, I promise! If you buy mine, just be aware that there is a months long wait for simple repairs like getting the grinding noise in the front end fixed. Also, if you want an oil change you might have to shop around for an oil change shop that has oil filters in stock, apparently they're in short supply as well.

Oil changes will be going up. Used oil collectors were paying upwards of a $1 per gallon for the privilege of picking up used oil from lube shops, dealerships ext now everyone is charging to haul away used oil.

I have two contract to fulfill worth a little south of $1M. It's gonna hurt.

One of the apartment projects my boss is building was turn key...so we are required to furnish all materials to frame this HUGE almost 400,000sf building wrapped around a parking deck. He said best case scenario we will lose $1 milllion...could and likely will be $1.5 million. Ouch.

Fortunately i am not personally building that project....but it will definitely affect my bonus money from what i am building now. We arent going out of business, but things will be super tight for a bit.yay...

The annual inflation rate has been projected to be 5.3%. Many think this is temporary and is caused by commodity shortages and supply chain disruption primarily attributable to Covid.

In my own experience I am seeing two phenomena. First, there are many things you simply cannot get at all. Appliances being a main one. and chip shortages, which if I recall correctly was emerging as a problem pre-Covid, are causing auto prices to go up.

Restaurant prices seem to me to be up 50 to 100%. That is my own experience at lunch, in particular. I see this as a function of both labor shortage issues and supply issues.

So what is the experience in your own World on this and do you think all or some are temporary?

Here’s my 2 questions to you and anyone on the left:

Do you realize that inflation has a disproportionate impact on the poor and serves to increase wealth inequality?

Do you accept that left wing policies (increased spending, increased minimum wage, increased lockdowns) increase inflation?

I will be impressed if you respond

Here’s my 2 questions to you and anyone on the left:

Do you realize that inflation has a disproportionate impact on the poor and serves to increase wealth inequality?

Do you accept that left wing policies (increased spending, increased minimum wage, increased lockdowns) increase inflation?

I will be impressed if you respond

Somewhat. Depends on the measure. But in the sense that the wealthy can afford the higher prices, sure.

As to second point, it is always hilarious when Republicans blame Democrats for excess spending. Neither party has a claim to being in the right on this. Certainly the Republicans spend like drunken sailors when they're in charge, too. As to lockdowns, that does not help your case since that is a temporary issue. And, lockdowns in this country are hardly the biggest contributor to supply chain problems, which are worldwide.

Reactions: Vol8188
Somewhat. Depends on the measure. But in the sense that the wealthy can afford the higher prices, sure.

As to second point, it is always hilarious when Republicans blame Democrats for excess spending. Neither party has a claim to being in the right on this. Certainly the Republicans spend like drunken sailors when they're in charge, too. As to lockdowns, that does not help your case since that is a temporary issue. And, lockdowns in this country are hardly the biggest contributor to supply chain problems, which are worldwide.

Respect for responding.

1. You’re missing the point with inflation. It’s not that the wealthy can afford higher prices. It’s that inflation devalues debt.

So who has more debt? The family living in public housing or the massive corporation?

2. Have Republicans been great on spending? No. But that ignores the fact that the left always wants more spending. The left as a whole wants far more spending than the right (universal healthcare, universal child care, free college, etc).

The lock downs were the absolute dumbest thing ever. I still don't understand it. They cost us trillions.

I will give you the fact that the Republicans have been way too spend happy over the last 15 years or so. It's embarrassing actually. They MUST get back to being fiscally conservative, not just socially conservative. However, the Dems are on a whole other level. Wanting to create more expensive, permanent, social programs. Medicare for all is a great example of this. The Green new deal is another. If you really want to bury this country for good then just give the financial keys to the Dems for a few years with no opposition. We'd totally collapse financially.

Respect for responding.

1. You’re missing the point with inflation. It’s not that the wealthy can afford higher prices. It’s that inflation devalues debt.

So who has more debt? The family living in public housing or the massive corporation?

2. Have Republicans been great on spending? No. But that ignores the fact that the left always wants more spending. The left as a whole wants far more spending than the right (universal healthcare, universal child care, free college, etc).

Corporate debt is another problem. This has the potential to crush the stock market in the future. China is already getting a taste of it. They aren't in as good a shape as many think they are. They are walking the tight rope right now.

Back to the original topic:

Obviously gas, groceries, and lumber prices are high. I have pushed back any building projects that I had planned around the house and farm. Wanted to get an new truck this year, but have decided to hold off for a while due to ridiculous prices and the basic shortage of vehicles. That 55 minute drive to work sure isn't getting any cheaper for me!

Corporate debt is another problem. This has the potential to crush the stock market in the future. China is already getting a taste of it. They aren't in as good a shape as many think they are. They are walking the tight rope right now.

Corporate and government debt is the biggest reason inflation won’t be “transitory”. It benefits the unholy alliance of business and government too much

Reactions: norrislakevol

VN Store

Back