Inflation in your World

Was in Whitestown, IN yesterday and went to Denny's for lunch, 3 people working the entire store.

Don't worry it's "temporary", it is rare to go in a business that isn't short on workers or out of certain goods. The production simply isn't there to meet the needs of the artificial demand created by continued stimulus checks.
It is not going to be temporary as the rush to raise wages for entry level jobs to immediately fill the worker shortages has now set an expectation that a burger flipper is now worth 15 to 20 per hour. Which means the wages will never return to same levels. And that leaves only one option for business owners who want to stay in business, prices MUST go higher and they must stay there. The floor for labour costs just got jacked up permanently and there is only one person who can ultimately pay them…the consumer

It is not going to be temporary as the rush to raise wages for entry level jobs to immediately fill the worker shortages has now set an expectation that a burger flipper is now worth 15 to 20 per hour. Which means the wages will never return to same levels. And that leaves only one option for business owners who want to stay in business, prices MUST go higher and they must stay there. The floor for labour costs just got jacked up permanently and there is only one person who can ultimately pay them…the consumer

It will go back down when jobs disappear and uncle Sam can no longer float everyone.

Of course, but it's the illusion of free money

If my employer pushes a 2$ cost of living raise on me this year, I'll flip out. I work in wastewater, we are having extended delays on pumps, floats, pvc fittings ect. Waiting on a small pump right now as we speak. We've had to slump to places like lowes for smaller pumps...they offer the worst pumps ever made. Not good for W.W. People can still flush the toilet tho. Holding down the fort. Kinda nice being essential.

Reactions: RavinDave and hog88
There are plenty of good names being floated. My fear is that the very big distraction from Mar A Lago may suck all of the oxygen out of the room. It is time for a new generation IMO

I'd vote for DeSantis at this point, despite him picking unnecessary fights as of late. Hard no for Trump 2.0 or Harris. It will be interesting to see if the right will shoe horn Trump back into the fold or if they will wise up and move on to someone that supports his agenda but will be more appealing to the never trumper right and moderates.

This fits right into what the Chinese wanted. Believe it or not they were facing a capital shortage a couple years ago. The biggest impediment from the Chinese perspective to rectifying this was the relative strength of the US dollar. You don’t have to be a genius to see how they’ve nudged us along to depreciating our own currency. Cough cough literally….

Last edited:
I'd vote for DeSantis at this point, despite him picking unnecessary fights as of late. Hard no for Trump 2.0 or Harris. It will be interesting to see if the right will shoe horn Trump back into the fold or if they will wise up and move on to someone that supports his agenda but will be more appealing to the never trumper right and moderates.
As of now, DeSantis has my vote. Alot can change in the three plus long years we have left but I don't think it'd be a winning move to trot out Trump. Desantis has to win FL gov first though. Not sure democrats have a chance but it's Florida. Alot of R NYers and R CA types moving into the state per friends in personal lines and real estate.

That's outside of my own anecdotal experience in seeing the out of state plates in St Augustine in non tourist areas.

Reactions: TOUCHDOWN!!TN
FedEx, UPS Rate Rises Are Making Online Shopping More Expensive

FedEx and UPS also have added a Series of Surcharges and Other Higher Fees

Shipping rates are going up faster than they have in nearly a decade, increasing pressure on merchants to raise prices or find other ways to offset higher costs.

FedEx Corp. on Monday said shipping rates would go up an average of 5.9% next year across most of its services, the first time in eight years that it or rival United Parcel Service Inc. has strayed above annual increases of 4.9%.

FedEx, UPS rate rises are making online shopping more expensive

Our trash bill has gone up 33% over last year. If you have a CDL you'd be an idiot to drive a trash truck right now so I'm sure they're having to pull new drivers in and it's costing money.
I had been buying Smithfield bacon at Food City, it was $5.99 and they had it in the 5 for $20 section. Now it's been removed and it's $8.99.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Agreed. And yes, we've had a few of our condo's call us up and ask for higher excess/umbrellas limits. These (surplus) carriers are pretty much unwilling to go past 3 or 4 million over the D&O unless the financials warrant support it. I've already started seeing residential condo application questions get added that ask about structural engineering inspections.

Not sure if you've dug into the NFIP Flood Risk rating 2.0 but it's about to blow up the Florida real estate market - and people have NO idea it's about to happen. I rated my own house yesterday and if I were purchasing my house new after 10/1, my flood insurance policy would be $5,900 annually. My current cost is $572. Fortunately, i'm in X zone so there's no lender requirement... My office building is going from $3600 annually to $6800 annually. Fortunately the max increase is still capped at 18% per year.

Contact CRC Group.

There is an office in Boca Raton and Clearwater.

They should be able to help you.

You may also want to contact RPS. Their Lexington office can point you in the right direction.

The annual inflation rate has been projected to be 5.3%. Many think this is temporary and is caused by commodity shortages and supply chain disruption primarily attributable to Covid.

In my own experience I am seeing two phenomena. First, there are many things you simply cannot get at all. Appliances being a main one. and chip shortages, which if I recall correctly was emerging as a problem pre-Covid, are causing auto prices to go up.

Restaurant prices seem to me to be up 50 to 100%. That is my own experience at lunch, in particular. I see this as a function of both labor shortage issues and supply issues.

So what is the experience in your own World on this and do you think all or some are temporary?
Basically every industrial part I've ordered for my line of work since about late Summer 2020 is perpetually on backorder for a few months. Case in point: I'm waiting on an air compressor and hose reel that I ordered back in July. Both have been pushed back to early November.

Reactions: hog88 and FLVOL_79
The only thing I've noticed is that steak costs a lot more now which, to be honest, isn't a bad thing...and that the new truck I want costs almost $90,000.

Basically every industrial part I've ordered for my line of work since about late Summer 2020 is perpetually on backorder for a few months. Case in point: I'm waiting on an air compressor and hose reel that I ordered back in July. Both have been pushed back to early November.
I've been waiting on a laptop at work since December...apparently sh!tty Dells and HP's are in hot demand..

Reactions: SlipKidVol
Contact CRC Group.

There is an office in Boca Raton and Clearwater.

They should be able to help you.

You may also want to contact RPS. Their Lexington office can point you in the right direction.

I use both.

If food prices and labor shortages continue in the service/leisure industry it will be Biden's downfall, it doesn't matter how much the Fed tries to spin all this as "temporary" if the average consumer continues to feel the pain. It also doesn't matter how many checks are sent out to bribe voters.

Reactions: allvol123
I don't buy vehicles where someone else has farted into the drivers seat.
I haven't farted in mine, I promise! If you buy mine, just be aware that there is a months long wait for simple repairs like getting the grinding noise in the front end fixed. Also, if you want an oil change you might have to shop around for an oil change shop that has oil filters in stock, apparently they're in short supply as well.

Reactions: FLVOL_79

VN Store

Back