Inept refs? Horse collars?

The SEC crew working the Florida game was just as inept and embarrassing as the Tennessee defense, the one guy couldn't even point to the team the penalty was enforced on, missed horse collars, missed offensive holding calls, missed touch downs, as much money rolling through the SEC coffers these days, we can attract the best referrees in the business and start getting rid of the incompetent guys that can't get it right.
We need to go to full time refs. These part time rent a clown are a joke. They need to be hired full time. Spend a week at each SEC school calling their practices. Learn to ref. Not like the league doesn’t have the money.

Reactions: 508mikey
There is always someone who wants to complain about a ref conspiracy. There will be some missed calls on both sides.
I don’t think refs conspire to call a game, except Bama. I think they call it to the best of their ability, which at best is bad.

Calling out referees is as old as the game itself. It’s just not an easy job to see all 22 guys on every play; especially as they’ve gotten bigger and faster.

The refs missed a few calls, sure. But I thought overall they did a good job of letting them play, not calling ticky tack penalties all game long was refreshing. We all know holding can be called on every play.

Refs sucked, Danielson is a moron, The Florida coach needs to try for a spot with WWE wrestling. Hold me back hold me back. Not a fun game to watch until was over. Nothing like a Sunday after a win all is well.
Napier is an idiot. 2 year coach at FL best.

It looks like our DB's fingers are extended so no holding there. It's not a penalty for a defensive lineman to grab an offensive lineman.
I’m not a big fan of holding penalties. Most O lineman hold, including ours. Their taught that. Need to bring back tear away jerseys. If your a defensive lineman you better be able to get past a hold. The good ones do.

I remember differently, but don’t have any photos of the plays.
The first was clearly outside of the tackle box. Hooker had scrambled and was in the open field almost to the numbers. The second was probably in the box

Calling out referees is as old as the game itself. It’s just not an easy job to see all 22 guys on every play; especially as they’ve gotten bigger and faster.

They chose to do this job.

If they can’t keep up with the game, then maybe the NCAA should consider hiring younger individuals.

It’s still no excuse for them to miss that many easy calls.

They chose to do this job.

If they can’t keep up with the game, then maybe the NCAA should consider hiring younger individuals.

It’s still no excuse for them to miss that many easy calls.
I do agree that it’s no place for 60 year olds, but you have to be careful what you wish for. Games already take way too long. Also, who the heck wants a job where your every move is on multiple HD cameras and criticized constantly by people who generally are either biased or clueless.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I haven't read this entire thread, but do we know how experienced this crew was? I didn't recognize the head ref, and he looked like he might have been 28 years old. You can't give a new head ref the Florida-Tennessee game (not sure he's new, but just saying). If this is his 1st year being the head ref, the multiple misses of delay of games is more understandable. That would be his call, and I'm sure he had a thousand things going through his head before each snap. But c'mon man, 1st play of the game and the clock was at 0 for about 3 seconds.

Missed holdings...meh... maybe they did. I mean I'm sure they did miss some of those, but I feel like people say "so and so was holding on every play and they never called it" every game just because they want to b*** about the refs.

You've got to get the horse collars out of there. Those were inexcusable. It was the same player doing it both times, so after he knew he got away with the 1st one he was like, sweet... good way to bring this dude down and they ain't calling it.

But the call that will get the attention nationally is when AR was 4 feet into the end zone for multiple seconds on an obvious TD and they called him short of the line. In fact, I think I saw the line judge run in and looking through the pile of bodies on the ground for the ball and AR is just standing there in the end zone. Can you imagine if this was before replay was in existence and that was a 4th down play?

Bottom line - the officiating was inept. It was just noticeably terrible for both teams.

I do agree that it’s no place for 60 year olds, but you have to be careful what you wish for. Games already take way too long. Also, who the heck wants a job where your every move is on multiple HD cameras and criticized constantly by people who generally are either biased or clueless.

The NCAA is a lot to blame more so than the actual officiating itself.

There’s rarely any consequences for their actions despite doing a terrible job keeping up with the pace of the game.

An age limit could help and maybe even a pay raise? But I agree, 60 years old have no business officiating these type of games anymore.

The missed block in the back penalties were most egregious for me. Florida's OL on the right side spent all night blocking, then pushing Young from behind. One one play, they sandwiched our DE between two linemen front and back.
The non-TD on review was awful. It shouldn't matter if you see the ball when you know where the ball was held going on, see the ball when he's pushed back...and see where his whole body was. If a guy's back is in, the ball is in.

To be a horse collar, it has to be the act that brings the ball-carrier down. The first one he tugged then let go and wrapped up...no horse collar. The second one was 100% a horse collar and should have been called. They swallowed the whistles for the most part. Not getting a 15 yarder for the Chomp/throat slash was a miracle.

Reactions: whobethis16
It was done all game, but how do you miss this hold/block in the back?? You only miss that if you want to miss that. Ridiculous. This was on their last TD drive.
View attachment 494312
Because the rules specifically say "1. Offensive players who are on the line of scrimmage at the snap within the blocking zone (Rule 2-3-6) may legally block in the back in the blocking zone, subject to the following restrictions: (a) A player on the line of scrimmage within this blocking zone may not leave the zone, return and block in the back. (b) The blocking zone disintegrates when the ball leaves the zone (Rule 2-3-6)."

The missed block in the back penalties were most egregious for me. Florida's OL on the right side spent all night blocking, then pushing Young from behind. One one play, they sandwiched our DE between two linemen front and back.
The non-TD on review was awful. It shouldn't matter if you see the ball when you know where the ball was held going on, see the ball when he's pushed back...and see where his whole body was. If a guy's back is in, the ball is in.
It was ridiculous that: A) We had to burn a timeout to even get that reviewed; and B) That they didn't just use a little logic to determine that it had to be a TD.

Reactions: volinSmyrna
The funny thing about this thread is that Florida has a similar thread on their site. They think the refs sucked and cheated them. The drive at the end of the half keeps popping up. They seem to think that our Olineman shoving their Dlineman after the play was a personal foul while they conveniently forget about the facemask and late hit on the same play. Then they chirp about Hooker "throwing an elbow" while forgetting about their guy attempting to delay the game by laying on Hooker. I guess it went both ways on Saturday. Refs weren't great in general.

The funny thing about this thread is that Florida has a similar thread on their site. They think the refs sucked and cheated them. The drive at the end of the half keeps popping up. They seem to think that our Olineman shoving their Dlineman after the play was a personal foul while they conveniently forget about the facemask and late hit on the same play. Then they chirp about Hooker "throwing an elbow" while forgetting about their guy attempting to delay the game by laying on Hooker. I guess it went both ways on Saturday. Refs weren't great in general.

Yep. If they don't call one when they are staring right at UF guy blatantly throw Small out of the back of the endzone, they can't call one for the shove.

No....they largely swallowed the whistle. I wish they would have called the 2nd horse collar, but that's the most egregious that I saw they missed. We can screenshot holds on every play. The fact we didn't get one for the gator chomp/throat slash is still amazing to me.

Pitiful. How come Tennessee never ever gets the benefit of a doubt. Those blatant horse collar non calls straight up unbelievable .
Those non calls actually worked in our favor, because it then took us longer to score; therefore taking more time off the clock.

Something those inept announcers didn't mention that I think was a factor on at least one of those horse collars is that it is perfectly legal to grab the back of the collar if the guy is in the pocket:

All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, the area, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box.

NCAA horse-collar tackle rule changes for 2017. Here’s how. - SBNation.com

So it's not always a foul. In other words, you can sack the QB by grabbing his collar all day long while he's in the pocket

Reactions: whobethis16
Because the rules specifically say "1. Offensive players who are on the line of scrimmage at the snap within the blocking zone (Rule 2-3-6) may legally block in the back in the blocking zone, subject to the following restrictions: (a) A player on the line of scrimmage within this blocking zone may not leave the zone, return and block in the back. (b) The blocking zone disintegrates when the ball leaves the zone (Rule 2-3-6)."

So that includes wrapping their arms around said person? Because this isn't just a block in the back, he literally has him wrapped, so your whole point is null and void...

So that includes wrapping their arms around said person? Because this isn't just a block in the back, he literally has him wrapped, so your whole point is null and void...
When your comment states "holding/block in the back" you're saying that either one should have been called. I simply supplied the rule out of the rulebook that you've clearly never read given that's what your OP included. If your argument includes that, which it did, your point is "null and void" because you have no clue about the rules. You're just throwing crap and hoping something will stick.

VN Store

Back