Inept refs? Horse collars?

A lot of coaches coach these kind of things these days, they call it “gain a second”. Hold early but let go, grab the horse collar to take momentum but slide down. You are illegally gaining an advantage, but stop before the ref throws the flag. It is a dirty way to play, but i wouldn’t expect anything less from the gators.

Reactions: Orange12
The horse collars were just ticky tacky and I had no problem with them not being called, the TD they didn’t give us even after replaying it I had a huge problem with. How you get that wrong even after replay is just plain ineptitude or cheating, one or the other.

If the defender changed our player’s direction with his hand, especially if inside the pads, at the neck and collar area, it should have been called. That is why they write the rules down.

Also missed a clear hit out of bounds in the white area on a Hooker step out, as well as throwing our player down at the back of the end zone after blowing the play dead at the goal line. That escalated and at least they did not flag our response push.

Reactions: TnScooby
On UF's last touchdown the replay shot clearly showed the offensive lineman with a handful of orange jersey. No call from the officials and Gary and co. ignored it.

If the defender changed our player’s direction with his hand, especially if inside the pads, at the neck and collar area, it should have been called. That is why they write the rules down.

Also missed a clear hit out of bounds in the white area on a Hooker step out, as well as throwing our player down at the back of the end zone after blowing the play dead at the goal line. That escalated and at least they did not flag our response push.
The hit on hooker OB was more of a gentle shove. But it was still clearly contact in the white OB and probably should’ve been called.

I was equally upset about the end zone play and relieved they didn’t flag the response.

refs couldnt even figure out how to speak into the microphone properly yesterday lol

The horse collars were just ticky tacky and I had no problem with them not being called, the TD they didn’t give us even after replaying it I had a huge problem with. How you get that wrong even after replay is just plain ineptitude or cheating, one or the other.

The horse collars are extremely serious misses. They produce a significant number of injuries to people running the ball and the unnatural way Hooker started to fall from the first one made me worry he got hurt on the play. A very similar play ended Jameis Winston's season last year. I couldn't see the second one because it apparently happened in the pile on that play.

Richardson had so much time since his O-Line kept holding our defenders.

I screamed at the TV whenever it wasn’t called.

Officiating is god awful.

Richardson crossing the goal line Florida gets the call by the ref and announcers but Smalls no . Ridiculous. I kept waiting a flag to pop out last play of game.

Between the poor officiating, Gary Danielson, our poor defensive performance, and their coach acting like an idiot out on the field, it was a tense game to watch. SO happy we won anyway. That’s a game where if we had lost would have stuck with me for years.
Why was he out there anyway Saying start the clock when Tennessee had called time out ?

Reactions: usagary
We got some calls, they got some calls. Basically the officiating was terrible. We did get the benefit of running over 50 seconds of play clock for 1 play close to the end. Clock stopped when Florida got hit for 12 men on the field, which should stop the clock for a defensive penalty, clock continued to run down to 2 seconds, ref’s blew the whistle, reset the play clock, and 15 more seconds came off.

For a long time you could pretty much count on the SEC refs absolutely giving Florida at lease one game a year via bad calls. I get it, there are a lot of TV sets in Florida but in the mid 90's to 2010ish the whistles were beyond egregious in favor of UF against whoever they played.

There were several obvious holding calls that have to be made. One play, our pass rusher was wrapped up and literally tackled from behind.
They called holding once all game. In one play one of their linemen committed an obvious face mask while another visibly pulled on a different lineman’s jersey. I have no idea what the umpire was looking at all game, but Florida’s blocking would have been very different if they set any sort of line.

We got some calls, they got some calls. Basically the officiating was terrible. We did get the benefit of running over 50 seconds of play clock for 1 play close to the end. Clock stopped when Florida got hit for 12 men on the field, which should stop the clock for a defensive penalty, clock continued to run down to 2 seconds, ref’s blew the whistle, reset the play clock, and 15 more seconds came off.

We should have gotten a full 40 second play clock with the time clock running at that point.

The refs closed their eyes and let both teams play. They could have called so many unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, and they didn’t. I actually enjoyed it. It’s never a good thing when the refs determine the outcome of big games.

The weirdest and most inept call was after the onside kick Florida recovered. The play started at 17 seconds. Kick happens and clock stops at 16 seconds. For some reason they reset the clock to 17 seconds. Then Florida has delay of game on first down. But instead of enforcing it they reset game clock to 16 seconds and Florida gets a new play clock.
Things like this are why I think the league office is talking to the on field officials real time through their headsets and changing calls

It was done all game, but how do you miss this hold/block in the back?? You only miss that if you want to miss that. Ridiculous. This was on their last TD drive.
Screenshot_20220925_131728.jpg

Reactions: JPL and DC_Vol
There is always someone who wants to complain about a ref conspiracy. There will be some missed calls on both sides.

VN Store

Back