I will always root for the SEC in bowl season.

Only other SEC team I'll pull for is Vandy if they make the playoffs.
iu

I think his point is that the SEC as a conference performing strong in the bowl season helps Tennessee.

I said it in the OP.

More times than not, Tennessee is going to be on the BUBBLE getting into the 12 team playoffs. SOS matters. Conference prestige matters. When it's us and 2 other 10-2 or 9-3 Big10 teams who do you want them to pick when records are the same for the 12th spot? You want them looking at quality wins right? You want them looking at SOS right? You want it in the back of their minds that SEC>B10. All of our rivals losing as much as possible or every time they play another conference hugely impacts us, our playoff chances, and how they will look at how quality our wins are.

I'll say it again. It's beyond stupid hoping that another conference becomes the premier conference in college football. It's beyond stupid hoping the SEC has a down year. It's beyond stupid hoping that 7 of the last 10 college football champions come from another conference. Because it's going to come down to SOS EVERY SINGLE YEAR when determining who fills spots 10 - 11 - 12 and who get's left out at 13 - 14 - 15.

For those talking about recruiting... recruits on the fence (even from TN) are just as likely if not more to look at Michigan than they are us after Bama's loss last night. We didn't beat Bama in a bowl last night, another team from another conference did. That doesn't help us that much recruiting wise. We need to take care of business in the regular season. That is the time to get a recruiting edge. You all think an L vs. Bama in season...and then Bama losing to Michigan is going to make recruits want to come here over Bama??? No, they are smart enough to look at the head to head or go to the team that beat them (Michigan) if who beat who really matters all that much to them. No recruit is saying..."Oh man Michigan beat Bama, Bama sucks...I'm going to go to the team that Bama beat."

Reactions: cgrish
I said it in the OP.

More times than not, Tennessee is going to be on the BUBBLE getting into the 12 team playoffs. SOS matters. Conference prestige matters. When it's us and 2 other 10-2 or 9-3 Big10 teams who do you want them to pick when records are the same for the 12th spot? You want them looking at quality wins right? You want them looking at SOS right? You want it in the back of their minds that SEC>B10. All of our rivals losing as much as possible or every time they play another conference hugely impacts us, our playoff chances, and how they will look at how quality our wins are.

I'll say it again. It's beyond stupid hoping that another conference becomes the premier conference in college football. It's beyond stupid hoping the SEC has a down year. It's beyond stupid hoping that 7 of the last 10 college football champions come from another conference. Because it's going to come down to SOS EVERY SINGLE YEAR when determining who fills spots 10 - 11 - 12 and who get's left out at 13 - 14 - 15.

For those talking about recruiting... recruits on the fence (even from TN) are just as likely if not more to look at Michigan than they are us after Bama's loss last night. We didn't beat Bama in a bowl last night, another team from another conference did. That doesn't help us that much recruiting wise. We need to take care of business in the regular season. That is the time to get a recruiting edge. You all think an L vs. Bama in season...and then Bama losing to Michigan is going to make recruits want to come here over Bama??? No, they are smart enough to look at the head to head or go to the team that beat them (Michigan) if who beat who really matters all that much to them. No recruit is saying..."Oh man Michigan beat Bama, Bama sucks...I'm going to go to the team that Bama beat."
No body drinking your kool-aid , f*** Bama, Ga, Fla, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M . Strength of schedule will always be solid if you’re in the New BigTen and New SEC they will have 7-9 of the playoff teams combined every year . They are what they are.

I said it in the OP.

If the other teams in the SEC suck and the Big Orange wins tge SEC...we will be in the playoffs.

I think even the simplest of souls can understand that.

If the other teams in the SEC suck and the Big Orange wins tge SEC...we will be in the playoffs.

I think even the simplest of souls can understand that.

These responses...well duh. That would be ideal, but when is the last time that happened? 1998? 25 years ago. You are putting your hopes and dreams on winning the SEC every year when we haven't done it in 25 years and have only done it twice in over 30 years. That would be great...but 9 times out of 10 we won't be getting into the playoffs because we won the SEC....it will be because we had a better SOS/resume than OOC teams with identical records. I think even the simplest of souls can understand that.

Perceived strength of the conference is how we've gotten 2 teams in the 4 team playoff more than anyone else and got a team in this year over an undefeated P5 champion. The strength of the league is also a recruiting pitch. Iron sharpens iron.

No body drinking your kool-aid , f*** Bama, Ga, Fla, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M . Strength of schedule will always be solid if you’re in the New BigTen and New SEC they will have 7-9 of the playoff teams combined every year . They are what they are.
Why is SOS perceived to be solid though? By beating teams from other conferences routinely, that's how. F*** all those teams within the conference but UT would not be helped by the conference going 1-8 in Bowl season every year. The narrative would quickly become that the conference was weak and it's day had passed, and a 10-2 team from the conference that wins it's feature OOC games/Bowl matchups routinely will get that last at large playoff spot over 10-2 Tennessee. It blows my mind that people can't see that. The perceived strength of the SEC is a boat in which we all ride. I am all for wanting to be the one driving the boat, but hoping it sinks doesn't help us.

Oh it’s this discussion again… I always ask what has our conference rivals being good done for us over the past two decades. Still waiting on a good answer, suspect I’ll be waiting for a while.

I hope everyone of these bastards lose every year.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I said it in the OP.

Then go be a Bama or Georgia fan.

Reactions: mercuryvol
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Conference was going to be rich regardless. Fans in the conference care more about football than some regions do. How does Bama, and Georgia winning national titles help Tennessee? It doesn’t, it hasn’t in two decades helped. It sure as hell has helped those teams recruit against us but it hasn’t done anything for Tennessee.

Reactions: mercuryvol
I have gotten a little burned on Alabama, Georgia, and SEC lately. It is great to see someone else play.

That being said, had it been an SEC team that isn't always in it like Missouri or Ole Miss, I would have 100% cheered for them. I think that I cheer for SEC sometimes more to have an investment in the games when Tennessee isn't involved more than an actual love for the SEC or Conference Pride issue. It is more just about being invested into the game to make it have meaning.

Then go be a Bama or Georgia fan.

HUH?

Conference was going to be rich regardless. Fans in the conference care more about football than some regions do. How does Bama, and Georgia winning national titles help Tennessee? It doesn’t, it hasn’t in two decades helped. It sure as hell has helped those teams recruit against us but it hasn’t done anything for Tennessee.

Conference isn't going to be rich unless it keeps being dominate. Everybody who has the premise of "it doesn't matter" holds that knowing they won't get what they hope for (conference foe losses). It's like they want their rivals to lose but they know they won't so they understand it's all going to work out in the end (SEC being dominate). But go a couple seasons of "the SEC is down", even 1 and those toss up decisions go to the B10. The whole reason for my OP is why would we want that??? Why would we wish to be out of the playoffs if we are in that 10-15 range? Why do we want B10 teams getting in over us because they are now the premier conference when more often than not WE are going to be one of the bubble teams?

IMO, and yeah it's just my opinion, but bowl season and OOC games it is time to be an SEC fan. Regular season conference play is time to hate everyone and hope everyone loses as much as possible. I don't think recruits are watching Michigan beat Alabama...and then immediately looking up who BAMA BEAT in the regular season so they can go there. If we want to change the recruiting tides (no pun intended) then we need to take care of business IN THE REGULAR SEASON. Head to head wins is where we will win recruiting battles IMO. I don't think other teams beating the rivals who beat us in the regular season brings recruits to us.

Last edited:
HUH?

Conference isn't going to be rich unless it keeps being dominate. Everybody who has the premise of "it doesn't matter" holds that knowing they won't get what they hope for (conference foe losses). It's like they want their rivals to lose but they know they won't so they understand it's all going to work out in the end (SEC being dominate). But go a couple seasons of "the SEC is down", even 1 and those toss up decisions go to the B10. The whole reason for my OP is why would we want that??? Why would we wish to be out of the playoffs if we are in that 10-15 range? Why do we want B10 teams getting in over us because they are now the premier conference when more often than not WE are going to be one of the bubble teams?

IMO, and yeah it's just my opinion, but bowl season and OOC games it is time to be an SEC fan. Regular season conference play is time to hate everyone and hope everyone loses as much as possible. I don't think recruits are watching Michigan beat Alabama...and then immediately looking up who BAMA BEAT in the regular season so they can go there. If we want to change the recruiting tides (no pun intended) then we need to take care of business IN THE REGULAR SEASON. Head to head wins is where we will win recruiting battles IMO. I don't think other teams beating the rivals who beat us in the regular season brings people to us.
If cheering against Bama, Florida and Georgia is wrong I don’t want to be right. Bama and Georgia winning national titles does make it harder to recruit against them.

If cheering against Bama, Florida and Georgia is wrong I don’t want to be right. Bama and Georgia winning national titles does make it harder to recruit against them.
I really do get it. I don't disagree with you. It is a catch 22 IMO. I just think it is in our best interest for the SEC to be and stay the premier conference in college football. Ultimately that is all I am saying. I'm not saying be fans of other teams. I'm not saying go buy a Bama or GA shirt. I'm not saying cheer for anyone else. I'm just saying it is in our best interest for the SEC to stay on top as a whole. That's really it. Hate them all in the regular season. But OOC and in Bowl season...it is good for us if the SEC wins their fair share. I believe it will ultimately help us down the road each year when playoff selection comes (which is really all that matters).

Realistically If we have a good season next year...I would not be surprised if we are ranked between 10-17 at year's end. Every single fan on here is going to be shouting SOS and talking about what good conference teams we beat (and even lost to) in hopes of being in the top 12. 10 months from now this whole board will be looking for anyway possible to make every one of our opponents look as good as they can. Why? Because it's to our benefit. Which is my point.

Next November talking UP the SEC is going to be all the rage on this board. We can hate them and want them to be solid for OUR OWN BENEFIT at the same time.

Most young Bama fans are Bama fans because it's easy. They like being on the bandwagon.

If you weren't born in AL, didn't go to school in Tuscaloosa, or maybe have a child attending, what's the purpose?
By that theory i should be a Bama fan, but i chose Tennessee when I was 9.

I really do get it. I don't disagree with you. It is a catch 22 IMO. I just think it is in our best interest for the SEC to be and stay the premier conference in college football. Ultimately that is all I am saying. I'm not saying be fans of other teams. I'm not saying go buy a Bama or GA shirt. I'm not saying cheer for anyone else. I'm just saying it is in our best interest for the SEC to stay on top as a whole. That's really it. Hate them all in the regular season. But OOC and in Bowl season...it is good for us if the SEC wins their fair share. I believe it will ultimately help us down the road each year when playoff selection comes (which is really all that matters).

Realistically If we have a good season next year...I would not be surprised if we are ranked between 10-17 at year's end. Every single fan on here is going to be shouting SOS and talking about what good conference teams we beat (and even lost to) in hopes of being in the top 12. 10 months from now this whole board will be looking for anyway possible to make every one of our opponents look as good as they can. Why? Because it's to our benefit. Which is my point.

Next November talking UP the SEC is going to be all the rage on this board. We can hate them and want them to be solid for OUR OWN BENEFIT at the same time.

I don't get this. The fact of the matter is any team outside of the top 6 maybe 7 have no chance at winning the NC so what good does making the playoffs do us just to finish with an L.

Honestly again it doesn’t matter whether the SEC is the premier conference or the worst one in out of conference games and bowl games. Anything that hurts teams that we recruit against regionally is good for us. Clemson became a powerhouse in a crap conference with little to no competition; the reason they became so good is bc they recruited the areas Tennessee and South Carolina had typically recruited well. Tennessee sucked during the period that Clemson was great; Tennessee has been on the rise lately and Clemson is on the way down bc we’ve become a more attractive destination while at the same time they’ve become a less attractive destination.

Honestly again it doesn’t matter whether the SEC is the premier conference or the worst one in out of conference games and bowl games. Anything that hurts teams that we recruit against regionally is good for us. Clemson became a powerhouse in a crap conference with little to no competition; the reason they became so good is bc they recruited the areas Tennessee and South Carolina had typically recruited well. Tennessee sucked during the period that Clemson was great; Tennessee has been on the rise lately and Clemson is on the way down bc we’ve become a more attractive destination while at the same time they’ve become a less attractive destination.
It doesn't matter if you go 13-0 or win the conference (like Clemson did)...but how many times do you think we are doing either of those things in the next 20 years? I certainly hope it's 4 or 5 times...but as I've said before...more times than not a good season is going to be 10-2/9-3. Every single person on this board is going to prefer to be IN the playoffs (and at least having a shot at a NC) vs. getting left out. SOS is going to determine if we are in the playoffs 9/10 times we have a good season.

All things considered would you prefer we move to the ACC? Then we could do what Clemson did. But our administration has 100 reasons not to because strength of conference means a lot.

VN Store

Back