I love Gilbert and Beck but…

If you think either of these guys will have their draft impacted by these incidents then you are sadly mistaken. Yeah they weren’t necessary but every MLB team would love to have Gilbert or Beck in their lineup one day.
Owners, GM’s, managers, etc can be affected by what they deem as possible behavioral issues because their investments in 1st rounders are so enormous. It won’t affect the fact they will be drafted, but it could affect their position in the draft.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
Owners, GM’s, managers, etc can be affected by what they deem as possible behavioral issues because their investments in 1st rounders are so enormous. It won’t affect the fact they will be drafted, but it could affect their position in the draft.

If all these guys do is show a bit too much fire on the field and have zero red flags off the field, I seriously doubt it will affect their position at all.

If all these guys do is show a bit too much fire on the field and have zero red flags off the field, I seriously doubt it will affect their position at all.
I hope not, but I think they will be vetted appropriately, and I do believe if signs exist that Athlete A might be a risk, some owners might pass on some players. I do think Gilbert and Beck are standup guys.

WTF are you talking about? They're losing fans because of the tired, old man "respect the game" unwritten rules bulls*** has turned people off for years, combined with games taking too long and umpire getting worse and worse. They aren't losing fans because players drop f-bombs and go off on umps. Fans overwelmingly love the emotion players show, they hate the old man, white knight gatekeepers that have kept baseball dying for decades. Idiots like La Russa chastising a player for hitting a grand slam on a 3-0 pitch up about 10 runs. Oh BOO HOO, you want the guy to not hit a grand slam...do your job cupcake. THAT is the garbage fans are sick of.

Did you sleep the last 40 years or have never noticed that MLB players have been going off on umps forever. Did I dream one of the most famous moments in MLB history is George Brett sprinting out of a dugout to take out an umpire over a bad call that happend 40 years ago?

Smh lol....
I agree with most of this and love it when emotions fly.

My problem with Drew in particular is that the pros get fined for it and the college students get suspended and its never not been that way.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
I’m not not disagreeing that his antics are what they are. But MLB teams draft players based on their abilities, not how nice they are. Just like every other business in America.

You’re expressing confusion over two 1st round talents being projected in the 1st round. They’re projected there because they’re 1st round talents. There’s nothing to agree to disagree over. That’s the reason.
I’m not confused. Draft position can be within the round. A team or 5 or 10 could say that’s not a good fit for our organization, at least not with a 1st round pick. I never said they’d fall out of the draft entirely. That’s not happening.

Part of attitude is ability to take coaching. And if one manager that he plays for says to cut it out, you do it.

Draft position and the first contract are all based on skill, ability and potential upside on the talent set, the second contract is then expanded to include personal demeanor, genuineness, marketability, fan connectivity in additional to being an all around good guy, Peyton, Eli, Freddie Freeman, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Clayton Kershaw, Mookie Betts, Shaq and to a certain extent Todd Helton were all paid many millions per season for being very talented athletes, but were also decent guys and represented their teams well personally as well as professionally, never afraid to give back and never forgot how they got there

So I guess nobody watched the NBA whenever the Heat teamed up, or the Warriors with KD? Or nobody cares about the NFL whenever the Patriots lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl to ruin their undefeated season? I guess nobody wanted the cheating Astros lose last year either?

Everyone wants a team to hate and we are that team. Apparently our own “fans” hate them too. The umpire hurt this team. Call the game correctly and nobody is chirping.
So what's the fix with the Umpire and Field Judges.

Does last night's events carry over to today's game with the Umpires and Field Judges.

Or do they Reset as well?

My problem with Drew in particular is that the pros get fined for it and the college students get suspended and its never not been that way.

He shouldn't have done it for sure, I'm not excusing this exact incident. It's like knowing a speed trap exists, if you know it's coming up and you still speed, you're going to get caught. It doesn't change that the speed trap is a joke and shouldn't exist but it does.

I'm more going after all these high-horse, holier-than-thous coming out of the woodworks with their tired rants against the youth of society; all because he let his emotions get away from him in a bad spot.

I hope not, but I think they will be vetted appropriately, and I do believe if signs exist that Athlete A might be a risk, some owners might pass on some players. I do think Gilbert and Beck are standup guys.
Beck seems quiet and steady. I like the Mile Honcho personna. But do you flip your coworkers off at work? Me neither. He should not have done it, and it seems out of character.

Gilbert is absolutely in character and it was a matter of time before he messed with the wrong ump. Taunting seems to be a part of the game as umps aren’t going to disallow a run because it. But if they don’t like it, we lose the benefit of any doubt, like Beck’s bat label earlier in the season.

Last edited:
So what's the fix with the Umpire and Field Judges.

Does last night's events carry over to today's game with the Umpires and Field Judges.

Or do they Reset as well?
Oh yeah I’m sure that umpiring crew will hold a grudge coming into today’s game. But Tony is just going to have to tell everyone to be church mice or else they will get the hook.

Which is why the ump needed to have a conversation with Tony to let him know if he didn’t get a handle on his player then he’s gone. I haven’t been able to find if an umpire talked to Tony at all. If they didn’t then that was mismanagement on the umpire’s part.
No it really isnt. DREW GOT EXACTLY WHAT HE DESERVED. You do not tell an UMP in Supers FU. Ever unless you want to get tossed. We have a reputation like it or not. This crap like last night and Beck's famous finger are not part of Baseball and it should not be allowed

Oh yeah I’m sure that umpiring crew will hold a grudge coming into today’s game. But Tony is just going to have to tell everyone to be church mice or else they will get the hook.
Duct Tape for Batters?

Last edited:
Reactions: VolPack22
He shouldn't have done it for sure, I'm not excusing this exact incident. It's like knowing a speed trap exists, if you know it's coming up and you still speed, you're going to get caught. It doesn't change that the speed trap is a joke and shouldn't exist but it does.

I'm more going after all these high-horse, holier-than-thous coming out of the woodworks with their tired rants against the youth of society; all because he let his emotions get away from him in a bad spot.
I’m not on any high horse. Win or lose, the team is entertaining. And the guys may be awesome off the field.

The point of the entire post is that this stuff - especially for Gilbert - accumulates and people at the next level will pass on his obvious talent because of it. Even if it’s just a few teams.

Reactions: bpalmer28
No it really isnt. DREW GOT EXACTLY WHAT HE DESERVED. You do not tell an UMP in Supers FU. Ever unless you want to get tossed. We have a reputation like it or not. This crap like last night and Beck's famous finger are not part of Baseball and it should not be allowed

Lol wut? Players cursing at the umpire has been part of baseball forever.

He knew better. In fact the 2nd base umpire was talking to him between innings, since was yelling at the Home Plate ump from center field. Not a way to make friends.

Last edited:
I’m not on any high horse. Win or lose, the team is entertaining. And the guys may be awesome off the field.

The point of the entire post is that this stuff - especially for Gilbert - accumulates and people at the next level will pass on his obvious talent because of it. Even if it’s just a few teams.

In your opinion; which is as an armchair amatuer. You have zero actual proof of this conjecture so no you can't say people at the next level will pass on him.

Talent greater than antics maturity.
You can fix immaturity and you can take a talented player and make him even better in the Pros.

It sure didn’t impact Bryce Harper’s draft status.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
If you think either of these guys will have their draft impacted by these incidents then you are sadly mistaken. Yeah they weren’t necessary but every MLB team would love to have Gilbert or Beck in their lineup one day.
Yep, pro sports is full of punks.
These incidents will not hurt their status

It sure didn’t impact Bryce Harper’s draft status.

Or Javy Baez. In fact off the top of my head I can't think of a player that was impacted because of on the field "antics". But I've seen plenty drop for off the field antics, work ethic, commitment, and dropping production.

Drew gave the ump sufficient cause to toss him, and the ump decided to do it, but looked to me like he did it out of anger. The ump lost his temper. I still maintain that a blunt warning should have been given to Drew and the Tennessee bench before an ejection, whether there was cause to eject him or not. A little discretion on the part of the ump would have been a better way to handle it.

That ump set himself up over the left shoulder of the catcher to call ballse and strikes, and missed pitches to the other side of the plate (outside to RH, inside to LF) all night long. No doubt due to the fact that he couldn't see that part of the plate through the catcher's head. The pitch Drew objected to was definitely inside.

So now, wth all that said:

Frank Anderson's reactions to umpires are often shocking to me given his age. He got tossed because he lost his cool at just the wrong moment. Chargining out of the dugout screaming at the ump with his hair on fire isn't a good look for a man his age. He should be a wisdom figure to this team and a calming influence on its young coaching staff, rather than someone who pours gasoline on fires. The kids pick up on that. It's not the right signal for a 65 year old to send to 20 year olds.

CTV bears responsibility for this incident as well. You often hear the truth that a team takes on it's coaches' personality. Tony is obviously highly competitive and fiery, and that is great for the team, and I wouldn't want it any other way. But he sometimes acts like a 20 year old in the heat of competition, losing his temper and then comes the gesturing and running around demonstration that will piss off the umps every time. He could control his temper with a wee bit more maturity, IMHO. Fortunately for us he didn't lose his cool and get thrown out like earlier in the season, but he still initially reacted to the call against Drew in a way that helped the ump to get angry and throw Drew out.

No, it’s because they’re both great players and are a huge reason the team is great. This isn’t football. No one is blocking for Gilbert or catching his passes. He’s one on one with a pitcher. Scouts know what they’re looking at.
And fit in the clubhouse matters when you play this many games. And ability to “do your job” by following instructions. Gilbert swings at bad pitches, gets thrown out on the bases and can miss the cutoff man. Being aggressive and smart are not mutually exclusive.

VN Store

Back