I love Gilbert and Beck but…

Not really. Playing on the edge is one thing. Crossing it where it affects your play and your team is something else.

I love this team and its record. But when you don’t win the trophy you gotta answer for these antics. Even Anderson hurt his team. We have a target on us, so you better win.
So I guess nobody watched the NBA whenever the Heat teamed up, or the Warriors with KD? Or nobody cares about the NFL whenever the Patriots lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl to ruin their undefeated season? I guess nobody wanted the cheating Astros lose last year either?

Everyone wants a team to hate and we are that team. Apparently our own “fans” hate them too. The umpire hurt this team. Call the game correctly and nobody is chirping.

Take off the orange glasses. Players represent a billion dollar organization. Baseball has enough PR issues. Just remember when you’re a 1st round pick you are expected to sell tickets and become the face of the franchise. Controlling intensity is not the same as neutering. Geez.
You just don’t understand how drafts work lol

He said “that’s ****** terrible… ****** horrible.” Didn’t say anything about “you,” as far as I can tell.

(He was right, by the way.)
I had two friends sitting in MVP right of the plate. They said he said F terrible, F horrible, but then was tossed at FU when the ump told him to calm down. Not sure the distinction matters. He’d been escalating over several innings.

So I guess nobody watched the NBA whenever the Heat teamed up, or the Warriors with KD? Or nobody cares about the NFL whenever the Patriots lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl to ruin their undefeated season? I guess nobody wanted the cheating Astros lose last year either?

Everyone wants a team to hate and we are that team. Apparently our own “fans” hate them too. The umpire hurt this team. Call the game correctly and nobody is chirping.
Read the other comments. I love this team and want a championship. I love emotion and fight. But he hurt this team and scouts will ask how he can be so selfish.

This is baseball. You wanna jaw the umps will make it hard for you. And we responded poorly to adversity. Better learn now because life and professional baseball is a lot harder.

I had two friends sitting in MVP right of the plate. They said he said F terrible, F horrible, but then was tossed at FU when the ump told him to calm down. Not sure the distinction matters. He’d been escalating over several innings.
Which is why the ump needed to have a conversation with Tony to let him know if he didn’t get a handle on his player then he’s gone. I haven’t been able to find if an umpire talked to Tony at all. If they didn’t then that was mismanagement on the umpire’s part.

Agree to disagree. They’ll both get drafted high. But this garbage isn’t going to sell when MLB is losing fans already.

I’m not not disagreeing that his antics are what they are. But MLB teams draft players based on their abilities, not how nice they are. Just like every other business in America.

You’re expressing confusion over two 1st round talents being projected in the 1st round. They’re projected there because they’re 1st round talents. There’s nothing to agree to disagree over. That’s the reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolPack22
Not really. Playing on the edge is one thing. Crossing it where it affects your play and your team is something else.

I love this team and its record. But when you don’t win the trophy you gotta answer for these antics. Even Anderson hurt his team. We have a target on us, so you better win.
I’d argue Anderson saved us from losing TV for the next 3 games.

All the Vols can do is swipe and clear at this point, it is what it is. Time to see if TV can get this team ontrack today and get this series to a 3rd game. Vols have had significant struggles starting out of the last 3 games, they need to be scoring early.

Reactions: crnanancy
Agree to disagree. They’ll both get drafted high. But this garbage isn’t going to sell when MLB is losing fans already.

WTF are you talking about? They're losing fans because of the tired, old man "respect the game" unwritten rules bulls*** has turned people off for years, combined with games taking too long and umpire getting worse and worse. They aren't losing fans because players drop f-bombs and go off on umps. Fans overwelmingly love the emotion players show, they hate the old man, white knight gatekeepers that have kept baseball dying for decades. Idiots like La Russa chastising a player for hitting a grand slam on a 3-0 pitch up about 10 runs. Oh BOO HOO, you want the guy to not hit a grand slam...do your job cupcake. THAT is the garbage fans are sick of.

Did you sleep the last 40 years or have never noticed that MLB players have been going off on umps forever. Did I dream one of the most famous moments in MLB history is George Brett sprinting out of a dugout to take out an umpire over a bad call that happend 40 years ago?

Smh lol....

These guys will quickly lose that attitude in pro ball. In pro ball (even the minors) the opposing pitcher will straighten them out. You pull that bat flip, taking a bow crap against other players trying to move up the system, your next at bat will get you 1 at the ear hole or fastball in the back at least. Working your way through the minors will humble any player that has played in college. You think those 17 & 18 yo’s from Central America care who these college stars are…….

I personally don't like the "classlessness" of the way we play...but secretly, that's why I have renewed my interest in UT baseball.

Earnhardt was the biggest villain in NASCAR. Half the people turned in to cheer, the other half to boo. He died 20 years ago and it's not been the same.

Also reference J R Ewing (villian).

If JR drove the Goodwrench Mercedes number 666, I would be tuning back in for the race.

Let's just face facts. In today's world respect for authority is a lost art once taught by parents. What is no longer taught at home is rarely seen in the sports venue ! Have been expecting these kind of antics for weeks ! Not surprised at all. As a baby boomer we were taught that it was not a good thing to lose, however, when we do it must be with dignity.

Reactions: JohnTN
Let's just face my opinion. In today's world respect for authority is a lost art once taught by parents. What is no longer taught at home is rarely seen in the sports venue ! Have been expecting these kind of antics for weeks ! Not surprised at all. As a baby boomer we were taught that it was not a good thing to lose, however, when we do it must be with dignity.

Fyp.

… how can these guys be 1st round prospects? Baseball is a sport where the best players get out 70%, and the best teams lose 40% of their games.

Being intense and driven is one thing. Being unable to handle adversity or control yourself is another. Gilbert especially hurt his team. His actions led to us losing our pitching coach at a time where our guys need some help.

I hope both of these guys learn from this experience and become MLB all stars.

This team/coaching staff has had that fiery personality all season. I watched and enjoyed and will continue to do the same until it's over. It's their ball, let them play it however they like.

WTF are you talking about? They're losing fans because of the tired, old man "respect the game" unwritten rules bulls*** has turned people off for years, combined with games taking too long and umpire getting worse and worse. They aren't losing fans because players drop f-bombs and go off on umps. Fans overwelmingly love the emotion players show, they hate the old man, white knight gatekeepers that have kept baseball dying for decades. Idiots like La Russa chastising a player for hitting a grand slam on a 3-0 pitch up about 10 runs. Oh BOO HOO, you want the guy to not hit a grand slam...do your job cupcake. THAT is the garbage fans are sick of.

Did you sleep the last 40 years or have never noticed that MLB players have been going off on umps forever. Did I dream one of the most famous moments in MLB history is George Brett sprinting out of a dugout to take out an umpire over a bad call that happend 40 years ago?

Smh lol....

Superb post.

Well he’s 0-fer today, since his ejection comes with a one game suspension. He may have played his last game for us. Hurts the team is pursuit of this championship. Let him reflect and hope his boys come through in his absence.

I am almost positive the team will feed off these ejections and win today. They have fed off this stuff all season. They got us all here I will not criticize them now.

Well he’s 0-fer today, since his ejection comes with a one game suspension. He may have played his last game for us. Hurts the team is pursuit of this championship. Let him reflect and hope his boys come through in his absence.
You know what hurt us even more? A biased ump calling pitches strikes that weren't even close.

… how can these guys be 1st round prospects? Baseball is a sport where the best players get out 70%, and the best teams lose 40% of their games.

Being intense and driven is one thing. Being unable to handle adversity or control yourself is another. Gilbert especially hurt his team. His actions led to us losing our pitching coach at a time where our guys need some help.

I hope both of these guys learn from this experience and become MLB all stars.
Much truth in this. Drew Gilbert is a ball player, but he needs refinement. I haven’t seen growth from him in that respect this season. Frank Anderson put kerosene on the fire, and TV watched it all go down. There is much blame to go around.
With regard to Beck’s hand gestures, there is no place for that nonsense in atheletics. We all love the swag, but reign it in a bit. ND dosed out humility last night and rightfully so.

Assuming Gilbert and Beck have no off field issues or a reputation as "team cancers", flipping the bird or cursing out an ump will have no impact on their draft status.

Talent wins out.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
You know what hurt us even more? A biased ump calling pitches strikes that weren't even close.

The calls looked bad no doubt but their first 2 pitchers were throwing a breaking balls that broke down toward the plate. Isn't the point of those to enter the strike zone then break down to the back of the plate? I'm certainly no expert but I don't recall any fastballs where the calls looked bad or that the umpire seemed biased. In fact I thought he was giving our pitchers the outside edge on fastballs consistently. A different guy behind the plate today in any case.

VN Store

Back