I love Gilbert and Beck but…

Bingo!!!

I will be willing to bet that Gilbert's and Beck's antics on the Field of Play is already been Corrected. There is nothing really to talk about anymore.
Beck I would agree. But did Gilbert’s get corrected before the 5th inning yesterday? Maybe not at all.

Telling an Ump FU is not tolerated dude. Stop justifying. THE UMP gave him a chance to walk the FU got him tossed. It was dumbassery at its finest.

You said it wasn't "part of baseball." It's only been part of baseball for like 50-60 years.

Nobody is justifying, I'm correcting you. Unless you literally started watching baseball yesterday.

In your opinion; which is as an armchair amatuer. You have zero actual proof of this conjecture so no you can't say people at the next level will pass on him.
That’s the great thing. The draft is NEXT month and if he falls below expectations we can draw our own conclusions.

Reactions: bpalmer28
It’s like I said last night.. I attribute much of this teams success to their cocky attitude but that can only take you so far before it starts working against you. The leadership on this team is emotionally unstable and it’s beginning to catch up to them.

Here’s to Dollander dealing a gem today and the Vols surviving the weekend. Need to press the “reset” button and FOCUS. Enough shenanigans.

You said it wasn't "part of baseball." It's only been part of baseball for like 50-60 years.

Nobody is justifying, I'm correcting you. Unless you literally started watching baseball yesterday.
Cussing at umpires is one thing. He crossed the line and was ok until the FU which is when he was tossed. You dont do that in any league unless you want to be tossed. Just like bumping an umpire. Common sense and control.

I’m not on any high horse. Win or lose, the team is entertaining. And the guys may be awesome off the field.

The point of the entire post is that this stuff - especially for Gilbert - accumulates and people at the next level will pass on his obvious talent because of it. Even if it’s just a few teams.
I agree. It works out for guys as talented as A-Rod or Bryce Harper but more often than not it’s a good way to set yourself up for embarrassment and lose influence

I don't disagree.
I got tossed in Highschool for saying bull**** and shaking my head walking back to the dugout. It happens. But what I said about Beck, that draws attention was the whole point. The rest of baseball sees that including umpires and yes they have an agenda to protect their egos. It was dumb and really not needed in either case. But Gilbert losing his mind on a 2-1 count was a sight

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
I would’ve preferred he not curse directly at the ref and then sent one, or a second one later, into the parking lot.

These children need to grow up and learn how to focus their energy and intensity into something positive. As a parent, when my kids argue and be disrespectful, I make sure they understand how that might impact everything around them negatively and that if they used that energy to focus on the task at hand, it can be very empowering.

Maybe, just maybe, CTV and company can get some control back over this crappy attitude stuff.
First of all it's an ump not a ref. Which to me shows your potential lack of experience in this game. Secondly calling the players childish is childish on your part IMO.
Anyway just my 2 cents.

Beck I would agree. But did Gilbert’s get corrected before the 5th inning yesterday? Maybe not at all.
Sitting out a game due to Suspension and the next Outburst will be a 3 game Suspension, so yea it is fixed.
His Actions also resulted in Anderson's ejection.
We are going to Miss his presence and Bat but the team will respond to his absence.
His return on Sunday will be a juice.
CTV probably had a discussion with him.

Side Note: UMPs are not Perfect, but they are Consistently Imperfect.
The problem I have is that in Both the Regionals and Super Regionals they have been Consistently Imperfect from team to team.

It’s like I said last night.. I attribute much of this teams success to their cocky attitude but that can only take you so far before it starts working against you. The leadership on this team is emotionally unstable and it’s beginning to catch up to them.

Here’s to Dollander dealing a gem today and the Vols surviving the weekend. Need to press the “reset” button and FOCUS. Enough shenanigans.
Unstable? 😆

I got tossed in Highschool for saying bull**** and shaking my head walking back to the dugout. It happens. But what I said about Beck, that draws attention was the whole point. The rest of baseball sees that including umpires and yes they have an agenda to protect their egos. It was dumb and really not needed in either case. But Gilbert losing his mind on a 2-1 count was a sight

I actually umpired high level travel ball (Connie Mack and Stan Musial) and some juco baseball for several years. Only had to toss a couple of players. Always let them talk a little but always gave the player a warning first - wound also tell the coach what happened and what was said.

I actually umpired high lever travel ball (Connie Mack and Stan Musial) and some juco baseball for several years. Only had to toss a couple of players. Always let them talk a little but always gave the player a warning first - wound also tell the coach what happened and what was said.
Thats awesome, not all are bad. There are some good guys who love the game and do it the right way. But you get some like the guy last night and Marcias and you just have to be smarter than that. I'm not down on Drew but I hope he learns from it and I hope the team was paying attention. Frank getting tossed is another thing. Although I am with others that think he did it ti reign Tony in.

Lol...I can only smh at the geniuses in this thread. There's a reason you're sitting in front of a screen typing on Volnation and not running a MLB team.
And it’s still a free country. I don’t hate these guys but I “smh” at the unnecessary garbage that is costing our team so far. If it costs either of them money in the draft, you can be glad he’s “keeping it real.” There’s sometimes a price to be paid for never compromising. Whatever, bro.

Owners, GM’s, managers, etc can be affected by what they deem as possible behavioral issues because their investments in 1st rounders are so enormous. It won’t affect the fact they will be drafted, but it could affect their position in the draft.
Yes, you said it better than I did. But prepare for people to deny the possibility you’re onto something.

Reactions: cardvolfan
You know what hurt us even more? A biased ump calling pitches strikes that weren't even close.
Especially a ball well below the knees. Dat sh#t breaks a batter's focus more than any other pitch. It's simply very hard to defend. Way inside is difficult also. I'm for some type of holographic box being used but there will have to be a lot of studies and trials because of the different stances batters use. The ump last night was simply bad but I don't agree with a direct confrontation. It's getting worse in all sports all while betting is being legalized about everywhere. Makes a man wonder.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
… how can these guys be 1st round prospects? Baseball is a sport where the best players get out 70%, and the best teams lose 40% of their games.

Being intense and driven is one thing. Being unable to handle adversity or control yourself is another. Gilbert especially hurt his team. His actions led to us losing our pitching coach at a time where our guys need some help.

I hope both of these guys learn from this experience and become MLB all stars.
They'll scale back the intensity like most do when they mature. The Beck thing... I just don't get at all. The Gilbert thing had been brewing the whole game. The ump consistently gave ND pitching the outside corner... and well beyond. Several pitches including the one Gilbert argued were closer to the white of the batters box line than the white of the plate. As CF, he had a clear view of every pitch the ump DID NOT give UT pitching. Gilbert will be punished and rightly so. But the ump should be sent home and fired. It was egregious if subtle... and consistent. Missed calls happen. Patterns of missed calls that go one way almost exclusively... have to be dealt with at that level of baseball.

Reactions: gnm53108
They'll scale back the intensity like most do when they mature. The Beck thing... I just don't get at all. The Gilbert thing had been brewing the whole game. The ump consistently gave ND pitching the outside corner... and well beyond. Several pitches including the one Gilbert argued were closer to the white of the batters box line than the white of the plate. As CF, he had a clear view of every pitch the ump DID NOT give UT pitching. Gilbert will be punished and rightly so. But the ump should be sent home and fired. It was egregious if subtle... and consistent. Missed calls happen. Patterns of missed calls that go one way almost exclusively... have to be dealt with at that level of baseball.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Gilbert didn’t get 1st base when he was hit. As far as questioning calls from the outfield, we have a coach that can do that. Our fielding was not on the same level as ND. The guys need to focus on that rather than working the umps.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I love Gilbert and Beck but...

you enjoy beating a dead horse more. While contradicting your professed love for the pair.....with gusto.

I actually umpired high level travel ball (Connie Mack and Stan Musial) and some juco baseball for several years. Only had to toss a couple of players. Always let them talk a little but always gave the player a warning first - wound also tell the coach what happened and what was said.

I called an All-Star game, Pitcher talking, shaken his head, I told the Catcher he was calling the next 4 pitches of which I could overrule if need be. The catcher called 4 balls of which I overruled one pitch and called it a strike. I stopped the game called the Coach, Catcher and I met at the mound. Told the Coach and Pitcher I had it, and when the Pitcher question the strike zone and that his last 4 pitches were strikes I stated I had not called them but his catcher had made the calls. All I did was confirm what I knew. Warning given, play ball. Issued resolved.

Coach came to me after the game and told me thanks for doing that.

Reactions: patrick
If Vitello is smart and we win today, he should sit Gilbert tomorrow too! His punk ass country club frat boy brat attitude was WAY out of line yesterday! (And has been)! Enough of that nonsense! He should know better! Play baseball and STFU! Get it under control!

Also we had 4 innings we could’ve scored 2+ runs but could not hit to contact to put ball in play. Same as a few weeks ago not swinging at good pitches. I thought this could be an issue post season! However last time we lost at home was to Dawgs then we came back next day (and Sunday) and spanked them! Hopefully same today!!! GBO

VN Store

Back