I love Gilbert and Beck but…

ThreatLevelOrange

Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top
… how can these guys be 1st round prospects? Baseball is a sport where the best players get out 70%, and the best teams lose 40% of their games.

Being intense and driven is one thing. Being unable to handle adversity or control yourself is another. Gilbert especially hurt his team. His actions led to us losing our pitching coach at a time where our guys need some help.

I hope both of these guys learn from this experience and become MLB all stars.

I would’ve preferred he not curse directly at the ref and then sent one, or a second one later, into the parking lot.

These children need to grow up and learn how to focus their energy and intensity into something positive. As a parent, when my kids argue and be disrespectful, I make sure they understand how that might impact everything around them negatively and that if they used that energy to focus on the task at hand, it can be very empowering.

Maybe, just maybe, CTV and company can get some control back over this crappy attitude stuff.

Playing at home has spoiled them too somewhat as to what they can get by with. Hopefully today the Vols get quality pitching and prove this is truly a great SEC team worthy of the World Series. Otherwise they will probably be remembered both as champs and chumps.

I would’ve preferred he not curse directly at the ref and then sent one, or a second one later, into the parking lot.

These children need to grow up and learn how to focus their energy and intensity into something positive. As a parent, when my kids argue and be disrespectful, I make sure they understand how that might impact everything around them negatively and that if they used that energy to focus on the task at hand, it can be very empowering.

Maybe, just maybe, CTV and company can get some control back over this crappy attitude stuff.
Probably a small thing but they are umpires, not referees. Using the correct terminology lends more credence to your point of view,

Yes it can,,,, that is a rear end set on fire. Not enough fires are set under kids these days. AND don't tell me this "huggum" attitude is the new way. It was and has been around for all my long years and before. On us kids of my youth, when "huggum" or "sit in the corner" discipline was used, it usually was like water off a duck's back. Was before, was then, AND IS KNOW. Had this player had that as- torn up enough when he was younger, I figure he and the team would not be in the position they are in now. I hate to say it, but I and I suppose many others have seen this coming and are not surprised.

I am tempted to agree with a lot of that. Gilbert getting tossed out really, really hurt the team. But as for the fact that they are both first round prospects… That is the effect of playing on a great team. We have seen this in college for years. Bama and Georgia are always going to get the most players drafted as long as they are playing in the playoffs. You’d think that draft analyst would look at the individual skill set and make the majority of their decisions based on that. But that just doesn’t seem to be the way it works.

Reactions: HEAD-VOL
I am tempted to agree with a lot of that. Gilbert getting tossed out really, really hurt the team. But as for the fact that they are both first round prospects… That is the effect of playing on a great team. We have seen this in college for years. Bama and Georgia are always going to get the most players drafted as long as they are playing in the playoffs. You’d think that draft analyst would look at the individual skill set and make the majority of their decisions based on that. But that just doesn’t seem to be the way it works.

No, it’s because they’re both great players and are a huge reason the team is great. This isn’t football. No one is blocking for Gilbert or catching his passes. He’s one on one with a pitcher. Scouts know what they’re looking at.

You cracked the code there. If only TV knew to tell players not to get ejected…

You can only ask an ump to call the zone the same both ways. They all have imperfections on strike zone reads. He called it the same both ways. Pitchers got an extra four inches off the plate in one direction. ND adjusted to it well. We didn’t. You can’t tell the ump, That was a terrible F**** call, and then F**** you, which apparently is what he said.

He said “that’s ****** terrible… ****** horrible.” Didn’t say anything about “you,” as far as I can tell.

(He was right, by the way.)

Last edited:

Vitello was suspended this year, and he and Anderson were warned.

This “neutral” umps see is behaving like punks and when they get their first game, they said they would not be party to it. Our guys knew the line and crossed it anyway. I don’t want this enter into the “woulda coulda” if we don’t advance.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
What exactly did Beck do? He had a great game last night. If you are referring to the bird flipping, that will not impact his draft status whatsoever 😂
Giving the middle finger to Georgia tech players on Sunday on his way around the bases. It’s not necessary, and absolutely will enter into how he can handle adversity. He was in a slump and couldn’t handle some heckling. Baseball is a long season and you’ll go through this multiple times every year. It’s college baseball and even you didn’t know what I was referring to. You can’t do this in the major leagus with a bigger spotlight.

No, it’s because they’re both great players and are a huge reason the team is great. This isn’t football. No one is blocking for Gilbert or catching his passes. He’s one on one with a pitcher. Scouts know what they’re looking at.
Agree to disagree. They’ll both get drafted high. But this garbage isn’t going to sell when MLB is losing fans already.

Giving the middle finger to Georgia tech players on Sunday on his way around the bases. It’s not necessary, and absolutely will enter into how he can handle adversity. It’s college baseball and even you didn’t know what I was referring to. You can’t do this in the major leagus with a bigger spotlight.
If you think either of these guys will have their draft impacted by these incidents then you are sadly mistaken. Yeah they weren’t necessary but every MLB team would love to have Gilbert or Beck in their lineup one day.

Reactions: Remy and Zues1

It’s the other way around. We are good because we have first round draft picks. It’s not that these are first round picks because we are good.

Gilbert was the batting champion in the best baseball conference. Beck oozes talent with a great frame and shows it every time he drives a ball and makes a great defensive play. I guess scouts don’t know what they are watching.

If you think either of these guys will have their draft impacted by these incidents then you are sadly mistaken. Yeah they weren’t necessary but every MLB team would love to have Gilbert or Beck in their lineup one day.
And they will. Be it will cost them spots in the draft order. Beck was rated as a Top 10 prospect. And Gilbert was rated a 1st rounder. They can’t keep their crap together playing 3 games a week.

Reactions: Titan05
Yes because it’s baseball. 0 fors happen all the time. In fact, Gilbert was 0-2 at the time he got ejected.
Well he’s 0-fer today, since his ejection comes with a one game suspension. He may have played his last game for us. Hurts the team is pursuit of this championship. Let him reflect and hope his boys come through in his absence.

Reactions: JohnTN and Titan05
We should have pulled a Melvin Britton and called the official at 5 this morning and woke him up like Britton did Bosworth

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
And they will. Be it will cost them spots in the draft order. Beck was rated as a Top 10 prospect. And Gilbert was rated a 1st rounder. They can’t keep their crap together playing 3 games a week.
They will not be affected one bit. Beck will be a top 10 pick and Gilbert will be somewhere in the top 25. They aren’t drafting choirboys, they drafting dudes that can hit and field the baseball.

It actually does sell. Very well in fact. People like having villains in sports.
Not really. Playing on the edge is one thing. Crossing it where it affects your play and your team is something else.

I love this team and its record. But when you don’t win the trophy you gotta answer for these antics. Even Anderson hurt his team. We have a target on us, so you better win.

Reactions: Nickid1975
They will not be affected one bit. Beck will be a top 10 pick and Gilbert will be somewhere in the top 25. They aren’t drafting choirboys, they drafting dudes that can hit and field the baseball.
Take off the orange glasses. Players represent a billion dollar organization. Baseball has enough PR issues. Just remember when you’re a 1st round pick you are expected to sell tickets and become the face of the franchise. Controlling intensity is not the same as neutering. Geez.

Reactions: Titan05

VN Store

Back