How long until we compete for the East

As of today, How long do you think it will take before we compete for the East?
I know there are unknown variables with current coaching situation and investigation.
Thoughts?
Given the current state of affairs, I can't believe you would seriously ask this question.

A really great coach could have us competitive immediately with a legit chance at the East within 2-3 seasons. But unfortunately that clock isn’t rolling yet and likely won’t be for a while. We’re watching the biggest exodus of talent I can remember. This is the same pattern we’ve seen for the past decade. Make a crappy coaching hire and then continue allowing him to hang around once it’s obvious he’s no going to get the job done. So what happens is the cupboard is completely empty when the new coach comes in. Then we get to listen to that coach lecture all the fans and players about how bad the state of the program is and it’ll take 3-4 years bla bla. Rinse and repeat. And really it all starts with incompetence at the ad. And we know that trend is continuing with fulmer.

From today? Honestly, 4-5 years. It can be done in 3, but that isn't the norm. I'm not on board with the "win championships by year 3" train, however I do need to see development, improvement, and there shouldn't be any red flags like we saw with CJP this past season. You have to look at who is winning and how they are built, and with UGA & UF we have two different examples. UGA is all talent with suspect coaching. They have roped in top 3 classes consistency in the last decade, but there haven't been any Heisman winners or super star first round picks, nor any other memorable individual trophy winners or outstanding players. That tells me that staff lacks in player development. Not to mention the coaching has made some questionable in game decisions over the years that has always left them a bridesmaid, but never a bride. UF's talent and recruiting is on par with our own, but with better coaching, so they are winners. They make average HS players into superstars. That staff does well in player development and is capable of making the players believe they are better. So, until UT does either - or both - of these things, we will be in the middle to the bottom of the East.

Sorry for the long post, just my thoughts about it.
That is because UGA had poor OCs and poor qb management with Chaney and Coley at the helm. I would reserve my opinion on them until the new OC has a full year. They have to be laughing that we took Chaney.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Just ask around, some coaches can’t be expected to show one step of improvement until every single player from the previous staff is gone, even though those players were good enough to earn offers from multiple SEC schools. But if you can get one of those coaches that motivate, develop, and mold a system to the players on his team... I’d say 3-4 years to compete (not necessarily win) the East

Last edited:
I know there are unknown variables with current coaching situation and investigation.
Thoughts?
Crystal ball says to ask again in 4 years

Maybe we give at least, oh, say one of them enough time to actually build a program.

Or we could, you know...not hire a 'bargain basement' coach to begin with, and hire someone with actual program-building skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: Border Vol
It depends really. I think Florida is a mess like we are but it’s just not as self evident. Pruitt’s ceiling is 9 wins with top 8 recruiting classes. Honestly if you hired freeze with this roster today, I think they win ten games next year and finish with the best recruiting class in the SEC. that’s enough momentum to have them in the championship game by 2024.

What?

Thoughts?
With the right hire, 2 years. With Pruitt, never.

Or we could, you know...not hire a 'bargain basement' coach to begin with, and hire someone with actual program-building skills.

Yeah, like that's going to happen. Who'd want this dumpster fire with the craziest fan base in the nation?

Yeah, like that's going to happen. Who'd want this dumpster fire with the craziest fan base in the nation?

So it's crazy of a fanbase to not want to hire a crap coach? It's crazy to not want to keep him after he's driven the program into a ditch?

Reactions: loservol
I really wasn't trying to be a jerk and I don't think my statement was bad. I was seriously surprised.

My apologies then. I don’t start threads and Sirrius FM was discussing how far our program has fallen over the yrs. One of the hosts said he thought it would take UT five years of Pruitt was fired this year and longer if he stayed.

It may take 5yrs, 10yrs or maybe 25, who knows. But I thought it was just a simple question that Col fans could discuss.

Reactions: spyfish007
We just hired Steele, a 9-37 head football coach. Our current coach had to fly to California to beg Henry T to stay. The portal is full of TN players. Some staff is bailing. So, we probably need to focus on beating Vanderbilt and not focus on the whole East. On the upside, we are "working like heck".

Reactions: vol94
We just hired Steele, a 9-37 head football coach. Our current coach had to fly to California to beg Henry T to stay. The portal is full of TN players. Some staff is bailing. So, we probably need to focus on beating Vanderbilt and not focus on the whole East. On the upside, we are "working like heck".

I will go to my grave one day still hearing Fulmer’s voice saying those words.

VN Store

Back