How do you rate Coach Pruitt...

Does that mean you fire him, or just give him a failing grade and tell him to get his chit together or gtfo?

No, if I'm the AD I'm not firing him after a 7-5 anomaly in year 5 after a 10-2 year four.

The biggest reason is because after maybe year 3 and definitely after year 4 he got an extension and I wouldn't want to pay the buyout. But anything less than 9 wins in year 6 gets him out the door.

In my book CJP gets an A+ for coaching changes. Those hires were the right guys for the job and he managed to get them from winning schools from within the conference and from the NFL. That is no small accomplishment considering that they all came to a team under a first year HC with the worst conference record in team history that ended in not making a bowl.

He gets a B for recruiting. He got a lot of player that had other, and some would say better offers. And more importantly he got the players that we needed, not just flashy skill players. There is room for improvement, but he got the job done well considering the circumstances.

He gets a C for the season last year because, despite the abysmal record, I saw the team grow as a unit and play through some adversity at the end of the year. Between that and playing up to Auburn and Kentucky there were some positives. I also saw some their attitude and aggressiveness grow toward the back half of the season. Seeing those positives at the end of the season tells a lot about the culture that he is developing in the locker room. It is not easy to get that kind of buy in and response after losing so much.

Reactions: Henry Letham
Florida was embarrassing. What happened with Vandy and Mizz after Kentucky?
Pretty obvious that our lack of depth especially on defense was the main problem in those games. Both teams boat raced us and we didn't have an offense capable of picking up the slack. Coaching was an obvious improvement last year. Will only get better this year imo. Year 3 and 4 will be our reward for enduring years of embarrassing football.

Mullen had a much better roster, what is your point?

That certainly wasn’t the narrative coming into the season and after the first few games, especially after UF lost to Kentucky at home for the first time since disco was popular. In fact, the UF-UT game was pretty much seen as a toss-up, both teams with new coaches and seemingly evenly-matched. I think UF’s roster was better based on superior coaching.

If Pruitt was at UF and Mullen was at UT last year, no way Florida wins that game.

Reactions: hog88
Wont quote the post...but i was absolutely flabbergasted to see someone say they were surprised Pruitt didnt land a top 5 class...hahahahaha...coming off of a 4and8 then 5and7 season??? Lmao... coach recruited so far over his head he needed a ladder, well, his staff did.

We may have finished ranked the 11th class nationally...that only considers arbitrary ratings numbers given to each player by so called "experts" on high school kids. The 11 rank doesnt take into account how well a coach addressed his rosters NEEDS...and in the last 20 years or more, we have never, ever, met our NEEDS like we did with this class. EVER... we were weakest at Oline, Dline, and Linebacker...we signed arguably 2 of the top 10 offensive tackles in the USA...some good Dlinemen (12 total linemen?), got a 5star LB that will be a day 1 starter (Crouch) and then got 5 star transfer Dtackle from Meatchicken...amazing. absolutely amazing class, we have never adressed our needs so well, and no less than a half dozen (6) of those players I believe will be starters THIS YEAR out of our 22 starters.

(For the record, i believe both freshmen tackles Oline will start by seasons end, Crouch at ILB day 1, Solomon at Dtackle, freshman may start at safety by seasons end, Gibbs will contribute immediately at WR, and at least 1 more player in his 1st year as a Vol will start THIS YEAR. Thats how well we addressed serious needs in our team with this class)

Yea, I've heard it all before, except for "we couldn't cover our mouth", nice. I'm not going to spend the next hour criticizing Pruitt just to justify to you why I give him a D for last year. Maybe that's a little harsh for him but Florida is a trigger for me and that chit was embarrassing.
We all have to wait for this coming season to gauge for improvement, that's understood. I think CJP was a good hire, again, too soon to tell for sure, but his coaching in four games last year disappointed me. They were:
Florida, the team was poorly prepared, talent aside....six turnovers and a big dose of humiliation. He has to do better than that, no matter the disparity in talent...which on paper was not that great.
South Carolina.... dropped a double digit lead and choked against the chickens. That was, frankly, a very poorly coached game, especially defensively which is CJP's long suit. We were the better team and lost. Not good.
Missouri.....anybody who saw our lack of spirit, desire, and toughness would have thought CBJ was back. To be beaten is bad to take a beating like that is inexcusable. They had a good QB and a bunch of 3.2 star players and dished us up a good ole shag bark a## whoopin with no more to play for ( "some rinkey dink bowl" to quote Tyler Bray) than we had. But they brought it all game long. We left it at home, or someplace else. We we were awful, that's on CJP.
Finally, Vanderbilt. No excuse. We were the better team and we got whipped on the field and out coached too. The team was listless and didn't care. Getting the team ready to play; emotionally and practically are big chores. But CJP brings a pedigree that says he can handle it. But we can't be unprepared for 1/3 of the 12 games and expect greatness to follow.

Reactions: KBVol
That certainly wasn’t the narrative coming into the season and after the first few games, especially after UF lost to Kentucky at home for the first time since disco was popular. In fact, the UF-UT game was pretty much seen as a toss-up, both teams with new coaches and seemingly evenly-matched. I think UF’s roster was better based on superior coaching.

If Pruitt was at UF and Mullen was at UT last year, no way Florida wins that game.

Wrong. They were better because they are just better. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that when you watch the Florida vs Tennessee game. Florida's defense was elite.

Reactions: Henry Letham

Shtooopid conjecture, troll.

F@%k. Floriduh. Forevuh.

Expect a big jump in year two, very few coaches that don’t make that jump last past year 4 so everyone will know this year if Pruitt is the real deal. Still think 8 wins is the floor (and been blasted for it). 4 cupcakes is a given and going just 4-4 in the league is within reason imo. Friend will have that OL in much better shape if he follows his own history. Players can just instinctively play instead of having to overthink every play.

Can I be wrong? Yep, already missed the mark on recruiting. I predicted a top 5 class for Pruitt in what is called the bump class. Figured top 10 at worst, honestly surprised he didn’t hit top 10.:You are just selling your vision and a players dream of early, early playing time. Normally the bump class is the high mark for a coaches recruiting. Players don’t look at the play on the field. This year, they will. He must win on the field this year, if he does, think he will crack top 10.

Think UT beats UF this year. I predicted AU last year, for months.
I feel like people with unrealistic expectations do just as much, if not more damage to our program mana than the "all negativity all the time" group. Your top 5 recruiting class prediction is trying to teach you a valuable lesson. You should listen...

5.5 out of a 10, good effort at improving the morale after CBJ left, decent to above average in recruiting/signees,
and staff hires looks good, along with the Auburn & Kentucky wins,- but really too early to rate

Wrong. They were better because they are just better. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that when you watch the Florida vs Tennessee game. Florida's defense was elite.

But when we went position-by-position before the season last year, and I had Florida better at most every postition, many here countered that I was completely wrong and UT was in fact better at most positions. Well, after UF won by 4 TDs in Neyland, the narrative changed and it became “Florida is just better, has better players” etc. Can’t have it both ways, friends.

But when we went position-by-position before the season last year, and I had Florida better at most every postition, many here countered that I was completely wrong and UT was in fact better at most positions. Well, after UF won by 4 TDs in Neyland, the narrative changed and it became “Florida is just better, has better players” etc. Can’t have it both ways, friends.

Nonsense/ red herring.

Nonsense/ red herring.

Truth. The threads still exist... I can’t even count the number of posters who excoriated me for saying UF had better RBs, WRs, pass rushers, and the QB position was a “push.” I was actually wrong about that, as Franks was much better than JG as well.

So I’m just a little surprised at how many are now saying UF had better players. I actually think it’s a combination of better players and better coaching.

Truth. The threads still exist... I can’t even count the number of posters who excoriated me for saying UF had better RBs, WRs, pass rushers, and the QB position was a “push.” I was actually wrong about that, as Franks was much better than JG as well.

So I’m just a little surprised at how many are now saying UF had better players. I actually think it’s a combination of better players and better coaching.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

14th - Jachai Polite (Florida) Jr
19th - Jawaan Taylor (Florida) Jr
55th - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (Florida) Jr
66th - Vosean Joseph (Florida) Jr
178 - Martez Ivey (Florida) Sr
235 - Jordan Scarlett (Florida) Jr
316 - Cece Jefferson (Florida)
339 - Fred Johnson (Florida)

Last edited:
Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Uf clearly had the better talent and an experienced head coach. If UF had our Offensive and defensive lines.I doubt they would beaten us last year. I expect the offense to be much better thjis Fall with Chaney directing the offense. I think the defense will be better if for no other reason, they offense will keep the defense off the fiel more than in the last 2-3 years. I actually think the defense will be stronger and faster than our defenses over the last 5-6 years. Come November and without any major injuries to key players, I think we will beat UF and give UGa a really good game, if not even win that game. Chaney will add an average of 10-14 points over last year's average. I think we will see a real jump in LB and Secondary play. Happy Days are just around the corner.

Uf clearly had the better talent and an experienced head coach. If UF had our Offensive and defensive lines.I doubt they would beaten us last year. I expect the offense to be much better thjis Fall with Chaney directing the offense. I think the defense will be better if for no other reason, they offense will keep the defense off the fiel more than in the last 2-3 years. I actually think the defense will be stronger and faster than our defenses over the last 5-6 years. Come November and without any major injuries to key players, I think we will beat UF and give UGa a really good game, if not even win that game. Chaney will add an average of 10-14 points over last year's average. I think we will see a real jump in LB and Secondary play. Happy Days are just around the corner.
Wow, a person who believes in a glass half full. Good for them, but doubt their predictions come true. But we can all dream.

Tell you what gums, you go find one of those threads that had posters claiming Tennessee had better talent, then find a post by that same poster that said Florida had the better talent after the game. After you find one we'll ask him about it and if he won't admit that he was just wrong, I'll agree you have a point.

Fact is you don't know who said what and Basket is right, red herring.

If you need help with the search just let me know.

But isn't that EXACTLY what you're doing right now?
Saying you were better at every position and now that the game is over, trying to troll by saying the opposite...
Lol, dumazz

VN Store

Back