How do you rate Coach Pruitt...

In September 2017, a 4 win UT team and 4 win UF were tied with 10 seconds to go in Gainesville. In 2018, one team was in NY6 game destroying Michigan while another lost chance at bowl by quitting against Vandy...
Doesn't change what he said. So you Rate Pruitt how? F? Terrible? 1 on a scale from 1 to 10?

Reactions: Souce
In September 2017, a 4 win UT team and 4 win UF were tied with 10 seconds to go in Gainesville. In 2018, one team was in NY6 game destroying Michigan while another lost chance at bowl by quitting against Vandy...
Florida is a much more talented team. Mullen has done a helluva job but he had more to work with as well. Tennessee had the worst Oline in the conference and one of the worst Olines in the nation. As much as we'd like to wave a wand and improve instantly you just cant do it in the trenches in this conference. Theres no instant, magic fix for SEC size, talent, and strength.

As far as on the field performance I would say the Auburn and Kentucky games were amazing what we did with a depleted roster. As amazing as those games were the dismantling by Missouri and Vandy take away almost all of that luster. The off season Pruitt did a really nice job closing out a great recruiting class including probably the best OLine haul in the country. We also upgraded several positions on the staff with the hires of Martin, Ansley, and Chaney.

With all that considered I would give him a solid C+ right now.

Seems like we just did this.

I think he gets an A for staff changes this year. B- for recruiting this year. D for everything last season. But as far as I'm concerned, last season is over and as long as we see some significant improvement, last year will be forgotten. By me anyway. And I'm confident we will see significant improvement.
How can you blame a coach for losing with a terrible roster that he didn't even recruit

He was the mastermind behind the Kentucky win by constructing a perfect defensive game plan.

D

Mullen took a 4 win team and won 10. Pruitt inherited a 4 win team and won 5 (with the team quitting the last 2 games). The Auburn and UK games are only reason not a F.

The good news is Pruitt has a chance to improve his grade...

Mullen had a much better roster, what is your point?

Last edited:
Florida was embarrassing. What happened with Vandy and Mizz after Kentucky?

Mizz just matched up well against us. Quick and agile receivers and an NFL ready QB. Our offense was anemic and we couldn't cover a deep pass to save our life.

Vanderbilt matched up well against us too. That's why their QB passed for 31/35 and 3 TD. JG had a bad game against vandy. We couldn't cover our mouth last season and that is on the players not the head coach.

How can you blame a coach for losing with a terrible roster that he didn't even recruit

He was the mastermind behind the Kentucky win by constructing a perfect defensive game plan.

You judge a coach by how much his team improves. This team was making the same stupid mistakes at the end of the season as they were at the beginning and were wildly inconsistent. They played three really good games over the course of this past season, outside of that they were undisciplined and lost.

Mullen inherited a 4 win team, just like Pruitt. Either Mullen did a better coaching job or 0-8 SEC Butch Jones outcoached Sharkhumper in 2017....

Reactions: VolAllen
Seems like we just did this.

I think he gets an A for staff changes this year. B- for recruiting this year. D for everything last season. But as far as I'm concerned, last season is over and as long as we see some significant improvement, last year will be forgotten. By me anyway. And I'm confident we will see significant improvement.

He was looking very solid through Game 10 last season, but those last two blowout losses...to mediocre teams in the grand scheme of things...raised a lot of concerns. It honestly didn’t look any different than Butch in those two games.

However, we have to give the guy a legit chance and not judge just based on a small sample size.

But, I’m with you, he has to move this thing forward if he is going to be the guy.

You judge a coach by how much his team improves. This team was making the same stupid mistakes at the end of the season as they were at the beginning and were wildly inconsistent. They played three really good games over the course of this past season, outside of that they were undisciplined and lost.
You can coach players all you want, but if they don't have the proper physical gifts to play football in the SEC then they aren't going to improve very much or win many games.

No idea. I really like Jeremy, like his approach, love his pedigree. Last year was a bit discouraging, but it’s tough and unfair to judge him given the roster and culture he inherited. Wish we’d seen the team get steadily better through the year, unfortunately that didn’t happen and gave me pause. But he definitely deserves some patience and a couple to 3 more years to have success.
Yep, somewhat disappointing, losing by so much to Bama and ga., and Missouri and west va. But losing like that to Vanderbilt is inexcusable. I’d say a d grade. Still hopeful for future success.

Mizz just matched up well against us. Quick and agile receivers and an NFL ready QB. Our offense was anemic and we couldn't cover a deep pass to save our life.

Vanderbilt matched up well against us too. That's why their QB passed for 31/35 and 3 TD. JG had a bad game against vandy. We couldn't cover our mouth last season and that is on the players not the head coach.

Yea, I've heard it all before, except for "we couldn't cover our mouth", nice. I'm not going to spend the next hour criticizing Pruitt just to justify to you why I give him a D for last year. Maybe that's a little harsh for him but Florida is a trigger for me and that chit was embarrassing.

Mullen inherited a 4 win team, just like Pruitt. Either Mullen did a better coaching job or 0-8 SEC Butch Jones outcoached Sharkhumper in 2017....
Did you see the number of Florida draft picks?
The answer should be obvious. Taking nothing away from Mullen at all but "shark humper" underperformed at a record level his last year.

Reactions: Bret178
You can coach players all you want, but if they don't have the proper physical gifts to play football in the SEC then they aren't going to improve very much or win many games.

Are you trying to tell us that our players last year were 20 something points less talented than Vanderbilt, Missouri and barley more talented than Charlotte's?

I ain't rating or ratting him until he's had 4 years here. He's not Harry Potter, nor is he Dr. Stephen Strange. There ain't no magic to transforming a team or program as bad as the UT Vols have been. It took time to drag it down as low as we are now. It will take time and lots of sweat to drag us higher up. So kindly stop the foolishness.

This is football not math. The transitive property doesn't apply.

Here are the other non-math reasons for my grade

1. The staff last yr was too inexperienced for 1st yr coach

2. Team played poor at beginning and end of halves

3. Team rolled over and quit against Vandy and Mizzou

I see positive things with item 1 above this offseason and team improved a bit on 2 as season progressed. The recruiting was good (although one could argue Dooleys first full class was similarly rated as well).

I think he's doing a great job, but, I just wish he wouldn't rub his face and nose and then look at his hand. It throws me off my game.

Are you trying to tell us that our players last year were 20 something points less talented than Vanderbilt, Missouri and barley more talented than Charlotte's?
Are you trying to tell us that they arent?

You are what your record says you are.

This is the same roster that almost lost to the UMASS minutemen.

VN Store

Back