How do you rate Coach Pruitt...

As opposed to being the best head coach in Nobody’s history (see Jeremy Pruitt)?

Yes, Tebow sucked. Those two SEC titles, two National Titles, Heisman, and all those NCAA and SEC records prove it!

Doesn't Pruitt have more national titles? Enough said dumb ass.

Pruit has produced 100x more quality NFL players. He's is obviously a better football coach.

Tebow is a bum that's why he washed out of the NFL and can't make it out of the minors in baseball.

Go back to your forum now you moron.

Without tooting our horn, we can reasonably think that Tennessee has one of the best coaching staffs in the country. They are recruiting high quality, SEC caliber athletes. If the team plays better this year and wins more games, the next class probably will be top ten. The team's improvement over the next few years should be a no-brainer. I was as non-plussed as anybody at the end of last season, and the disgusted feelings have not gone away. But I cannot help believing that this year will be a little better and next year will also be better. Then, we'll be talking real football.

Reactions: Devo182
I would say a C to C-. We saw flashes of brilliance last year with Auburn and Kentucky but that’s about it. I understand that he didn’t have much to work with but a good coach closes out the SC game and gets a win. I wasn’t expecting to win a lot of games but we shouldn’t have been absolutely blown out by some teams. My biggest concern was that Pruitt didn’t step in and try to correct some of the atrocious offensive play calling. He’s a head coach now and owns the offense just as much as the defense. Not sure changing the play calling would have helped. But at least try SOMETHING. With that said, he was a rookie and I expect his grade to improve this year. He’s obviously done a great job of improving his staff and recruiting. Now it’s time to see some better in game management. I know my standards are high but why shouldn’t they be. We are TENNESSEE. We should never ever lose to SC, Vandy, KY, and Missouri- never.

Incomplete. Will have a better idea after 2020 season. I think this year will be a bit of a disappointment for a number of fans. Both lines are going to be the deciding factor, and I just see them as lacking quality depth as well as too young.

Florida is a much more talented team. Mullen has done a helluva job but he had more to work with as well. Tennessee had the worst Oline in the conference and one of the worst Olines in the nation. As much as we'd like to wave a wand and improve instantly you just cant do it in the trenches in this conference. Theres no instant, magic fix for SEC size, talent, and strength.

As far as on the field performance I would say the Auburn and Kentucky games were amazing what we did with a depleted roster. As amazing as those games were the dismantling by Missouri and Vandy take away almost all of that luster. The off season Pruitt did a really nice job closing out a great recruiting class including probably the best OLine haul in the country. We also upgraded several positions on the staff with the hires of Martin, Ansley, and Chaney.

With all that considered I would give him a solid C+ right now.

Hmm
So was CBJ just out coaching McElwain or did we lose a bunch of talent?

Recruiting has been encouraging, which I see as impressive given the dumpster fire that was inherited. As far as performance during the season and overall, count my 'rating' of Pruitt in the Incomplete/TBD camp. Honestly, my view will probably remain this way for another season or two as more of the roster turns over.

D

Mullen took a 4 win team and won 10. Pruitt inherited a 4 win team and won 5 (with the team quitting the last 2 games). The Auburn and UK games are only reason not a F.

The good news is Pruitt has a chance to improve his grade...

Not really a fair comparison. Mullen wasn't a first time HC and he inherited a really good defensive team.

Not really a fair comparison. Mullen wasn't a first time HC and he inherited a really good defensive team.
A big reason I gave Pruitt a D was he was first time HC and he ended up hiring an inexperienced staff and coordinators without P5 coordinating experience....

I will give him a B. I think he is making the cultural changes and team fixes needed. He is working on the line which I think shows he has a plan. The Vandy loss is a big question mark though. Everything was kind of going right last season and then we laid that egg. Because of our lack of depth and the toll a SEC schedule has on a team I am somewhat willing to give him a pass on that one but I really need to see continued forward momentum next season.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I will give him a B. I think he is making the cultural changes and team fixes needed. He is working on the line which I think shows he has a plan. The Vandy loss is a big question mark though. Everything was kind of going right last season and then we laid that egg. Because of our lack of depth and the toll a SEC schedule has on a team I am somewhat willing to give him a pass on that one but I really need to see continued forward momentum next season.

B? I think it's in the rule book somewhere, getting your doors blown off by Vandy is a 2 grade reduction.

Depends on what we're being asked to rate, right?

The only truly important measure is W's. He gets an F on that for his first year. In the "real world" you don't get credit for effort or pity for your disadvantages.

I like the guy but it is a mistake for us to spend time excusing failure. We can hope he creates success... without trying to rationalize something that should never be acceptable.

If you want to grade him on something else then my grades would likely be higher... but a lot more speculative.

Depends on what we're being asked to rate, right?

The only truly important measure is W's. He gets an F on that for his first year. In the "real world" you don't get credit for effort or pity for your disadvantages.

I like the guy but it is a mistake for us to spend time excusing failure. We can hope he creates success... without trying to rationalize something that should never be acceptable.

If you want to grade him on something else then my grades would likely be higher... but a lot more speculative.

He beat a *Ranked *SEC *West team on the *Road. And another Ranked SEC team. I know, big deal, He got embarrassed by Vandy and Missouri and that wipes those two out. That Florida debacle was just as bad for me.

But I just can't give him an F in wins. I didn't ask for a first time HC, but that's what I got, and he didn't ask for what he inherited. I give him a pass and present him with a D....just on W/L. F is too harsh for me.

Recruiting is a plus. CJP is recruiting what is needed to compete, in the SEC. It all starts in the trenches, and he is focused on improving in that area. He's already improved the defense, despite having a very green secondary. Having a proven OC, will free him up, to further improve on the defensive side of the ball. As far as his game planning and making adjustments, on the fly, he is still learning. There is not much wiggle room, in the SEC, with a ton of talent. But, with the talent he was afforded, last season, he did as good as can be expected, except in the Vandy game. That was terrible. He's following a proven formula, and has the help of great coordinators, and he can always lean on PF, and years of experience, with Saban. I am trying to be patient. It is hard. I'd like to see him(CJP) more relaxed, and in control, this season. Especially late in tight games. I do believe the games will be closer, this coming season. Crucial late game decisions, can make or break him, with our fanbase. A prime example being CBJ pulling Kelly out of the game, and trying to pass, on first and inches, at the goalline, vs. Florida. I was done with CBJ, at that point.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back