How do you rate Coach Pruitt...

He was also the mastermind behind Miz and Vandy. I would have him in the B camp if we win even one of those games but the “no show” in those two games, after they showed they could do it vs Aub, Ky, and largely, SC, puts those two losses squarely on Pruitt and still real head scratchers to me!

I do think he’s the right guy...just need some real progress this year.

It is hard to understand the utter no-shows in those last two games after beating Kentucky.

So by your scale, Butch had a D+ with the 4-8 record in 2017, and Pruitt couldn't be given a "failing" grade unless he went 1-11 or worse?

Why are you bringing up Butch? This is about Pruitt. I would assume since it was Pruitt's first year he would grade him differently than he would if it was his 5th year.

You're trying to hard.

So by your scale, Butch had a D+ with the 4-8 record in 2017, and Pruitt couldn't be given a "failing" grade unless he went 1-11 or worse?
JC........I was being an a$$ because of how some people grade. Was trying to make it simple.....in a sarcastic way

Why are you bringing up Butch? This is about Pruitt. I would assume since it was Pruitt's first year he would grade him differently than he would if it was his 5th year.

You're trying to hard.

So you're assuming his win/loss-record-based grading scale is both coach and HC-experience dependent?

Seems like we just did this.

I think he gets an A for staff changes this year. B- for recruiting this year. D for everything last season. But as far as I'm concerned, last season is over and as long as we see some significant improvement, last year will be forgotten. By me anyway. And I'm confident we will see significant improvement.
Fair.
As a recruiting junkie, I go B+ but with reasons.
1. Number of commits and positions of need vs available stars at those positions.
2. Record. Look at ours and the records of the teams around us. 1 of those is not like the others😄
3. Phantom rankings. Mystery bumps and ranking drops while no football was being played.

We pulled in some major players. Considering our limited numbers, new coach, losing record and ranking changes, B+ minimum for me.

Under future winning circumstances, I'd expect a slightly higher rated classes for the same grade.

Did you forget I asked you a question?

I deemed it irrelevant considering his scale didn't specify whether it only applied to Pruitt, but only listed a win/loss record as having a grade attached to it.

It's a moot point anyway since @peaygolf clarified his attempt at sarcasm in his response.

Fair.
1. Number of commits and positions of need vs available stars at those positions.
2. Record. Look at ours and the records of the teams around us. 1 of those is not like the others😄
3. Phantom rankings. Mystery bumps and ranking drops while no football was being played.

We pulled in some major players. Considering our limited numbers, new coach, losing record and ranking changes, B+ minimum for me.

Under future winning circumstances, I'd expect a slightly higher rated classes for the same grade.

I, like you, follow recruiting. I SMH, every time a recruit drops in ranking, just because Tennessee is sniffing around. When and if CJP starts winning with his recruits, we'll have fans point and say he is winning with less, ala Dan Mullen, just because they are star gaziers.

Fair.

I'm sure its me, I'm trying to step up my game so BV doesn't pull a fast one on me, but I'm not understanding 2 and 3.

And I guess if I graded him on first day to now, I'd probably give him somewhere between around a C maybe C+. Might change my mind after BV explains how my grading scale contradicts how I graded Phil Fulmer as AD.

Reactions: Souce
I'm sure its me, I'm trying to step up my game so BV doesn't pull a fast one on me, but I'm not understanding 2 and 3.

And I guess if I graded him on first day to now, I'd probably give him somewhere between around a C maybe C+. Might change my mind after BV explains how my grading scale contradicts how I graded Phil Fulmer as AD.
Sorry, my list was all about the recruiting class. Not his coaching job.
Our win-loss column is way different than the other teams around us in the recruiting rankings.

Reactions: Behr
I deemed it irrelevant considering his scale didn't specify whether it only applied to Pruitt, but only listed a win/loss record as having a grade attached to it.

It's a moot point anyway since @peaygolf clarified his attempt at sarcasm in his response.

Should have been obvious. That's why I said you were trying to hard, you just wanted to argue. Nothing wrong with that either, I just think its funny how you won't admit it and are always so serious.

Anyway, I agree about not grading on wins only.

Sorry, my list was all about the recruiting class. Not his coaching job.
Our win-loss column is way different than the other teams around us in the recruiting rankings.

Ah, I undermeant what you stand. Yea I've seen that being discussed. I considered that when I graded him on recruiting.

When I look back at the top coaches I remember watching and admiring, I think of Doug Dickey, Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer. All three were outstanding representatives of the University and first class coaches. So far, Pruitt hasn't proven he's anywhere close to being in their league. But, Iike I said, we'll see.

Oh you were actually serious.

Wtf?

going into his 2nd spring practice and will he and the team show incredible improvement in year 2 as many great coaches before him have?

Weak schedule, experienced team, talented newcomers and top notch staff. We're gonna win more than we lose next year I think and upset one of the big3 along the way. Results stunk last year but Coach Pruitt has done a bunch right in a short time. B+ but only because we had a losing record last year, win and it would have been an A.
geez dude. we all know he is a great developmental coach. can we chill on the grading until he finishes his 2nd year. i dont understand the need to ask people what they think about a new head coach after 1 year at a big program; you know people are going to give answers without enough info to go on. same to be said for the guy that posted a picture of Jim Chaney last week and asked people to caption the picture........and then he gets pissed when everyone starts making fat jokes about the guy. Let this season play out and everyone should be able to grade well. for now, just make more threads about spring practice notes and if and when Phil is going to fire Holly

geez dude. we all know he is a great developmental coach. can we chill on the grading until he finishes his 2nd year. i dont understand the need to ask people what they think about a new head coach after 1 year at a big program; you know people are going to give answers without enough info to go on. same to be said for the guy that posted a picture of Jim Chaney last week and asked people to caption the picture........and then he gets pissed when everyone starts making fat jokes about the guy. Let this season play out and everyone should be able to grade well. for now, just make more threads about spring practice notes and if and when Phil is going to fire Holly

Nothing said on here means anything. If you don't agree with grading him this soon, maybe you should ignore the "Grade Pruitt" thread.

But hey, your opinion is appreciated.

I give him a pass for last year. This year I just expect to see a tougher and more competitive football team. That won't necessarily correlate to any specific record, I just don't want us getting blown out, at least not by any team not making the CFP. That'll be the standard I grade on at the end of the year, no "54-40 or fight" style ultimatums.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back