How do you rate Coach Pruitt...

Ask this question about two thirds way through the season. If he can win seven, I'd give him a B-, if he can win eight I'd give him a B+, if he wins nine or more (which I seriously doubt) I'd give him and A or an A+ depending on who the victories were against.

Well it wouldn't make any fricken sense if he was talking about the latter. Jeez. But hey, you and your new buddy can text each other and laugh at the Vol fan.

Just like a pair of gator boots, @99gator was just an accessory to prove my point. You dont have to worry about me trying on some jorts.

You know I'm a straight shooter and I won't always drink the Koolaid that's being offered. I just can't give an A or A+ to a coach whose team quit the final 2 games, whose team struggled at beginning and end of halves, and whose first staff was woefully inexperienced for SEC football....

I'd give him a C so far. Positives: Auburn and Kentucky wins, getting Chaney as OC, recruiting a pair of 5 stars for offensive line. Negatives: Complete embarrassments against Florida, Missouri, and Vandy. I put the Florida debacle on the players because of turnovers, but Missouri and particularly Vandy performance were on the staff.

I think he'll ultimately turn out like Mark Dantonio at Michigan State. Can count on 8 or 9 wins every year, an occasional 10 win season. Get 50% blue chip recruits, but not the 75% that Bama and Georgia get. Just like Dantonio fares vs Ohio State and Michigan. Not steller, but a pretty big step forward from where we are now.

Just like a pair of gator boots, @99gator was just an accessory to prove my point. You dont have to worry about me trying on some jorts.

You know I'm a straight shooter and I won't always drink the Koolaid that's being offered. I just can't give an A or A+ to a coach whose team quit the final 2 games, whose team struggled at beginning and end of halves, and whose first staff was woefully inexperienced for SEC football....

Why did you tag 99? So he could see you bashing Pruitt? Smdh.

Reactions: Souce
In the 5th year what else besides W/L record should a coach be graded on?

If in Pruitt's fifth year brought in the #1 recruiting class in the country but lost his Junior starting QB to injury before first game, and the backup to injury injury in the 2nd, and ended up 7-5 on the season cause we had to start a 3rd string freshman QB, would you give him an F for his W/L record just because it was his 5th season even if we were competitive in every game?

I agree that the W/L record is important, but you still have to take context into consideration.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Why did you tag 99? So he could see you bashing Pruitt? Smdh.

For some reason, he spends a lot of time trolling here so he's gonna read it being tagged or not. That and I wanted him to see the (admittedly poor) joke about gator boots accessory....

If in Pruitt's fifth year brought in the #1 recruiting class in the country but lost his Junior starting QB to injury before first game, and the backup to injury injury in the 2nd, and ended up 7-5 on the season cause we had to start a 3rd string freshman QB, would you give him an F for his W/L record just because it was his 5th season even if we were competitive in every game?

I agree that the W/L record is important, but you still have to take context into consideration.

That's a hell of a lot of iffffs. But I'll play the game, a 7-5 season in his 5th year even with a 3rd string QB would be a complete failure by him and his staff.

He had his year "zero" and now it's time to start judging him on production.

In the 5th year what else besides W/L record should a coach be graded on?

Too many variables to be specific imo, but does it really matter anyway? I mean, at the end of the 2016 season what grade do you give Jim McElwain based on his W/L only? Would it be different if you looked at more than W/L? Would it matter at the end of 2017?

That's a hell of a lot of iffffs. But I'll play the game, a 7-5 season in his 5th year even with a 3rd string QB would be a complete failure by him and his staff.

7-5 a complete failure with a 3rd string QB, in the SEC.
Especially with the transfer addiction we have these days.

Does this hot take only start at year 5? Or maybe 4?
What about year 3?

It is a bunch of 'ifs', but the point is that a coach can be doing all the right things, but still have a season get derailed by events beyond their control.

Butch for example didn't just get fired for going 4-8, he had a string of issues with excessive injuries, poor S&C, lack of player development, questionable recruiting strategies, questionable assistant hires/promotions, etc.

geez dude. we all know he is a great developmental coach. can we chill on the grading until he finishes his 2nd year. i dont understand the need to ask people what they think about a new head coach after 1 year at a big program; you know people are going to give answers without enough info to go on. same to be said for the guy that posted a picture of Jim Chaney last week and asked people to caption the picture........and then he gets pissed when everyone starts making fat jokes about the guy. Let this season play out and everyone should be able to grade well. for now, just make more threads about spring practice notes and if and when Phil is going to fire Holly
Geez dude, I don't understand why people post just to be a jerk

Hes definitely on the right track, IMO. He knows with our current roster we will not be able to compete in the SEC, that's why it was crucial for him to turnover some of the roster and get elite players in, such as the To'oTo'o and Wright. That was a sample of his ability to close in recruiting. I think this years class will be exceptional.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
7-5 a complete failure with a 3rd string QB, in the SEC.
Especially with the transfer addiction we have these days.

Does this hot take only start at year 5? Or maybe 4?
What about year 3?

How about a translation from gibberish to English.

How do I rate a head football coach?
  • By wins & losses
  • The manner in which the team plays - Do they execute? Are they disciplined? Do they embody Neyland's maxims? Do they rise to adversity? Do they play to win, whatever the circumstances?
  • The staff - Do they embody the values of the university and the program? Do they work well together? Do they develop players? Do they recruit players whom they can develop? Are they stable (Do they only leave for opportunities beyond what they have at our school?)? Do players want to come to Tennessee to be coached by them?
  • The students academic performance - Is the program preparing young men to succeed? Are they having a full and enriching matriculation? Are they learning? Are players receiving degrees?
  • The student athletes' off-field behavior - Do the players exhibit good character? Are there very few violations of rules & laws?
  • Character - Would I want the coach and staff to be around my family?

Too many variables to be specific imo, but does it really matter anyway? I mean, at the end of the 2016 season what grade do you give Jim McElwain based on his W/L only? Would it be different if you looked at more than W/L? Would it matter at the end of 2017?

I don't really get your question. His 2017 campaign was a complete failure and he deserved to be fired.

It is a bunch of 'ifs', but the point is that a coach can be doing all the right things, but still have a season get derailed by events beyond their control.

Butch for example didn't just get fired for going 4-8, he had a string of issues with excessive injuries, poor S&C, lack of player development, questionable recruiting strategies, questionable assistant hires/promotions, etc.

Having a serviceable 3rd string QB on the roster in his 5th season is absolutely within the control of the HC. Just look at the 2022 schedule and tell me what possible excuse could he have for not winning 8 games.

To me it's really simple, win or GTFO. No one should accept excuses from or for a guy getting paid millions along with all the resources he needs to be successful. No I am not saying he should win the NC or even the SECE every season but he should be at the least in contention for the east every year with a minimum of 8 wins.

I don't really get your question. His 2017 campaign was a complete failure and he deserved to be fired.

Yea, I knew that in 2016 because I graded him on more than just his record.

Haha, Obviously I didn't know he was gonna crash and burn like that, but my point was in 2016 I bet you gave him a better grade than I did because I graded him on more than just his record, and your grade didn't matter in the end because he actually sucked. Mine didn't either but it made more sense than yours did.

Yea, I knew that in 2016 because I graded him on more than just his record.

Haha, Obviously I didn't know he was gonna crash and burn like that, but my point was in 2016 I bet you gave him a better grade than I did because I graded him on more than just his record, and your grade didn't matter in the end because he actually sucked. Mine didn't either but it made more sense than yours did.

In 2016 I thought he was the luckiest SOB in the game to be so mediocre and still win. I didn't really grade him because outside of 1 week per year I DGAF about UF.

Reactions: Behr
In 2016 I thought he was the luckiest SOB in the game to be so mediocre and still win. I didn't really grade him because outside of 1 week per year I DGAF about UF.

Lol, Agreed.

I was just using him trying to explain what I was talking about.

In the end it really doesn't matter what grade "We" give Pruitt, but for conversation purpose it helps if we understand how we grade him.

Having a serviceable 3rd string QB on the roster in his 5th season is absolutely within the control of the HC. Just look at the 2022 schedule and tell me what possible excuse could he have for not winning 8 games.

To me it's really simple, win or GTFO. No one should accept excuses from or for a guy getting paid millions along with all the resources he needs to be successful. No I am not saying he should win the NC or even the SECE every season but he should be at the least in contention for the east every year with a minimum of 8 wins.

'Serviceable' still might not be enough to win in a close game against equal or better competition; there's a reason a QB is 3rd string.

Year 1. 5-7 top 25 recruiting, 2 top 25 SEC wins one on the road.
Year 2. 7-5 top 15 recruiting.
Year 3. 9-3 top 10 recruiting.
Year 4. 10-2 wins East, top 10 recruiting. 7 enters draft 6 graduate.
Year 5. 7-5, top 5 recruiting, starting QB injured in Fl. game, lose by 1. Chit just happens.

We could make up a million variables, that's why I say it can't be so cut and dry on being judged by record only. He gets a pass from me in that very real scenario.

Jmo.

Year 1. 5-7 top 25 recruiting, 2 top 25 SEC wins one on the road.
Year 2. 7-5 top 15 recruiting.
Year 3. 9-3 top 10 recruiting.
Year 4. 10-2 wins East, top 10 recruiting. 7 enters draft 6 graduate.
Year 5. 7-5, top 5 recruiting, starting QB injured in Fl. game, lose by 1. Chit just happens.

We could make up a million variables, that's why I say it can't be so cut and dry on being judged by record only. He gets a pass from me in that very real scenario.

Jmo.

I wouldn't give him a pass but I am a hard azz.

VN Store

Back