How do you rate Coach Pruitt...

Butch’s recruits/players excelled after leaving his program and received “real coaching.” Our current roster is stocked full of Butch’s recruits/players. We should know by the third quarter of the first game if we have “real coaching.” At that time an accurate rating can be assigned.

How can you blame a coach for losing with a terrible roster that he didn't even recruit

He was the mastermind behind the Kentucky win by constructing a perfect defensive game plan.

Mullen had a much better roster, what is your point?
So by your logic, what was Pruitt vs Missouri and Vanderbilt? Certainly not a mastermind.

Last year was very disappointing no matter how you look at it. Good news is that 2018 is behind us, he dramatically upgraded his staff, we have a handful of very talented newcomers coming in and our returning players are bigger, stronger and familiar with the system. Incomplete grade until we see what happens this year......and after this year, we’ll know exactly what we have in Pruitt imho.

When I look back at the top coaches I remember watching and admiring, I think of Doug Dickey, Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer. All three were outstanding representatives of the University and first class coaches. So far, Pruitt hasn't proven he's anywhere close to being in their league. But, Iike I said, we'll see.
Let me remind you that Majors was god awful his first FOUR years here. Was 21-23-1 at that point, coming off a 5-6 season in year 4. So, it’s beyond difficult to say that he’s not in Majors’ league after only 1 season here. Need to give him more time to see....if he wildly overachieves in year 2, goes 9-3 or something, then perhaps it can be said that Majors was indeed not in Jeremy’s league.

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
Butch’s recruits/players excelled after leaving his program and received “real coaching.” Our current roster is stocked full of Butch’s recruits/players. We should know by the third quarter of the first game if we have “real coaching.” At that time an accurate rating can be assigned.
I'd say by the end of the FL game, because outside of BYU, we've got a couple of scrimmages where young guys can develop.

The real development test will be can the former under achieving OL benefit and develop from another year of S/C program and coaching, while, by game 4, having steady input from stud OL frosh. The other one for me will be with our no name DL, and can our young stud LB's come on strong with guidance from veterans. If all three of these things happen, we'll have a pretty good year. Not real worried about DB's, QB, RB, WR.

When I look back at the top coaches I remember watching and admiring, I think of Doug Dickey, Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer. All three were outstanding representatives of the University and first class coaches. So far, Pruitt hasn't proven he's anywhere close to being in their league. But, Iike I said, we'll see.

Meh, everyone has their skeletons, some just don’t make it to the public eye. Not sure on Dickey but plenty of stories on the other two. I think most don’t need Pruitt to be the choir leader, just want him to win games.

Better than the last three. Never liked Kiffin, Dooley sucked at Latech so didn't get that hire.Had hope with Butch but I guess he was riding coattails.
Butch wasn’t our ACTUAL HC...notice how it all fell apart when Mike DeBord left?

Reactions: Remy
You can poke holes in his first year just as easy as explain why a lot of those things were the way they were and would have been that way for a lot of coaches.

Since Vandy he has signed a quality class and upgraded the staff with every hire he made. Hard not see that as a big positive. He has better pieces to make this work from a talent and staff perspective. Now can he manage all the pieces for max production.

You can poke holes in his first year just as easy as explain why a lot of those things were the way they were and would have been that way for a lot of coaches.

Since Vandy he has signed a quality class and upgraded the staff with every hire he made. Hard not see that as a big positive. He has better pieces to make this work from a talent and staff perspective. Now can he manage all the pieces for max production.
It wont help Vandy because they will probably win around 3 games this season

D

Mullen took a 4 win team and won 10. Pruitt inherited a 4 win team and won 5 (with the team quitting the last 2 games). The Auburn and UK games are only reason not a F.

The good news is Pruitt has a chance to improve his grade...

That sucks Mojo! But it is hard to argue with.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
No one is going to care if the future ends happily, but I still can't get over the fact that Tennessee laid down and quit against Vandy.

If the Pruitt era ends in failure, everyone will look back on that as a major sign.

Grade is incomplete.

Ok, I'll admit it.

I'm going to need an explanation for this one.

They are referring to 2017 Florida that got boatraced by Michigan(the most talented 4 win team ever according to some on here), not the 10 win one that boatraced a better Michigan team...

The simple FACT is that Tennessee had exactly 00000 players invited to the NFL combine...NONE!

THAT alone should tell you people how really BAD our Seniors were that Pruitt had to rely and depend on.

LOTS of injuries last season too including on our already bad O line.

We just started spring practice of his 2nd year so it's way too early to judge Pruitt on much of anything.

Dabo and Clemson are now a top, National Championship winning program but they did NOT get there in just 4 or 5 years my friends.

I loved that Pruitt went out and took his time, while still recruiting good players, to evaluate and seriously improve his coaching staff and get better recruiters at the same time.

I honestly believe that if we stick with Pruitt like Clemson stuck with Dabo that UT will be in Playoff runs too.

Pruitt lives and breathes to recruit top kids, work with those kids and to WIN football games.

We damn sure WILL get there my friends!

VFL...GBO!!!

It's still too early for me to know for sure. I like a lot of things he has done so far and his approach to the game. Last season didn't go the way we wanted but there were many variables to overcome that would be nearly impossible for any coach. Good news is(I believe) it's gonna get better.
I'm gonna just wait and see.

Not rating yet. Seems that every few years we are in this same exact position. Hoping against hope we have the next savior. Getting our hope up. Then Boom: excited about our new coach!

The simple FACT is that Tennessee had exactly 00000 players invited to the NFL combine...NONE!

THAT alone should tell you people how really BAD our Seniors were that Pruitt had to rely and depend on.

LOTS of injuries last season too including on our already bad O line.

We just started spring practice of his 2nd year so it's way too early to judge Pruitt on much of anything.

Dabo and Clemson are now a top, National Championship winning program but they did NOT get there in just 4 or 5 years my friends.

I loved that Pruitt went out and took his time, while still recruiting good players, to evaluate and seriously improve his coaching staff and get better recruiters at the same time.

I honestly believe that if we stick with Pruitt like Clemson stuck with Dabo that UT will be in Playoff runs too.

Pruitt lives and breathes to recruit top kids, work with those kids and to WIN football games.

We damn sure WILL get there my friends!

VFL...GBO!!!
th.jpg

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
In September 2017, a 4 win UT team and 4 win UF were tied with 10 seconds to go in Gainesville. In 2018, one team was in NY6 game destroying Michigan while another lost chance at bowl by quitting against Vandy...

The difference is coaching. Butch and McElwain are Power 5 flops. Tennessee wanted Mullen first for a reason. Also, the talent in Knoxville paled in comparison to what Florida had last year in terms of speed/strength. Take the QB position. Felipe Franks is better suited for that offense that's been perfected by Mullen at Florida and Miss St. Jarett had a first time head coach and a first time offensive coordinator trying to teach him pro style for the first time with a limited OLine. Pruitt will have to prove his worth this year, but last year is what it is.

Having said that, grade is D, but the offseason adjustments (hopefully his doing alone and not the work of Fulmer) pull it to a C-. He has no one to blame for getting blown out by Vandy but himself. He tried to run the offense and defense. He called out the team publicly during halftime of the Alabama game. Who knows what he told them in private.

They are referring to 2017 Florida that got boatraced by Michigan(the most talented 4 win team ever according to some on here), not the 10 win one that boatraced a better Michigan team...
Well it wouldn't make any fricken sense if he was talking about the latter. Jeez. But hey, you and your new buddy can text each other and laugh at the Vol fan.

Reactions: Souce
A+ for beating a ranked SEC west opponent for the first time that has happened in forever. That was a small step in the right direction. I can overlook some other failings last season because of that and I feel like he is recruiting the right kind of players. Patience is needed and give him the same 5 years Butch had. I think he can turn it and get us back to our rightful place at the top of the SEC but only time will tell.

VN Store

Back