Horrible umping

I explained it in detail. What’s wrong with you?

I have to agree with this guy. If the runner can slide under your tag, then it's not a good tag. Pav has the ball in the first screenshot... The runner was toast, and it should not have been a close call. Instead of dropping the glove in front of the plate, Pav lets the runner slide right under the tag, opening the door for the bad call. And yeah, the ump is out of position on this play.

Attachments

• tag.PNG
    tag.PNG
    216.7 KB · Views: 27
  • tag2.PNG
    tag2.PNG
    195.2 KB · Views: 27
I have to agree with this guy. If the runner can slide under your tag, then it's not a good tag. Pav has the ball in the first screenshot... The runner was toast, and it should not have been a close call. Instead of dropping the glove in front of the plate, Pav lets the runner slide right under the tag, opening the door for the bad call. And yeah, the ump is out of position on this play.
Yep, I said the same. As a catcher you cant stand over a sliding runner , ya got to get down in the dirt and take a bruising.
I like pav but he's not really built for the position, you need a thick nasty dude back there to take abuse.

I explained it in detail. What’s wrong with you?

Lotsa things, probably... What's wrong with you? 😁

I just can't recall any baseball player, coach, umpire, casual fan, or my dog ever telling me that "style points" count in baseball.

I always thought that the tag being applied to the runner's body before the runner touches the base (as in this case) resulted in an out. You know... Like the rules say.

I guess every time I tagged a guy out where the tag wasn't on his foot or ankle he was actually safe.... 🤔

I'm gonna have to rethink baseball in general, then... Thanks for the coaching! 👍

All snark aside, the ump blew the call, the replay official blew the call, and it completely changed the complexion of the game.

Would TN have gone on to win? No idea.... But that sure as **** didn't help.

Last edited:
And here, with that first picture, I still contend that he should have taken a step with his right foot toward the runner and lunged at him. He never reaches the plate if that happens. The runner is already in a sliding position and has no ability to change his direction at that point. He is going towards the plate, so why would Pav wait to meet him at the one location where the ump is forced make a call? Falling glove first on the runner up the line prevents him from ever reaching home plate.

Fundamentally, that picture shows that Pav is correct with his footwork. The left foot is in the right spot to block the plate. I have seen catchers then turn and put their right leg down on the ground to absorb the contact and further prevent the runner's foot on the plate. This is where I am not sure of the college rules.

While that photo does show what should be an out, I have watched it in real time multiple, multiple times. That slide is quick, and you have to remember that Pav is taking the throw from right field instead of left field. From right field, he has to look the ball in and turn his head as opposed to seeing the runner if the throw comes from that side. I understand the tag argument, but Pav's left foot does its job by blocking the plate for a split second to get the tag down. Still should have been out.

Reactions: taylorvol
Fundamentally, that picture shows that Pav is correct with his footwork. The left foot is in the right spot to block the plate. I have seen catchers then turn and put their right leg down on the ground to absorb the contact and further prevent the runner's foot on the plate. This is where I am not sure of the college rules.

While that photo does show what should be an out, I have watched it in real time multiple, multiple times. That slide is quick, and you have to remember that Pav is taking the throw from right field instead of left field. From right field, he has to look the ball in and turn his head as opposed to seeing the runner if the throw comes from that side. I understand the tag argument, but Pav's left foot does its job by blocking the plate for a split second to get the tag down. Still should have been out.
No doubt he did a good job blocking the plate. I don’t think that is really in question. My point is that throw was so far ahead of the runner that the goal shouldn’t have been to block the plate and wait to apply a tag at the plate. The goal should have been to meet the runner and put as much distance between him and the plate as possible. The runner is out as soon as the ball touches him, so why wait and try to make a play when your margin of error is the smallest?

The runner is in a helpless position where his direction and momentum are decidedly out of his control at the point where he leaves his feet to slide. Catch the ball and dive at the runners feet before he even gets close to the plate.

All that aside, if he reaches down to apply the tag instead of out and away from his body (thus again, allowing the runner more time to get closer to the plate) then it’s a moot point. Just poor awareness in the moment by Pav.

Reactions: arkivol
No doubt he did a good job blocking the plate. I don’t think that is really in question. My point is that throw was so far ahead of the runner that the goal shouldn’t have been to block the plate and wait to apply a tag at the plate. The goal should have been to meet the runner and put as much distance between him and the plate as possible. The runner is out as soon as the ball touches him, so why wait and try to make a play when your margin of error is the smallest?

The runner is in a helpless position where his direction and momentum are decidedly out of his control at the point where he leaves his feet to slide. Catch the ball and dive at the runners feet before he even gets close to the plate.

All that aside, if he reaches down to apply the tag instead of out and away from his body (thus again, allowing the runner more time to get closer to the plate) then it’s a moot point. Just poor awareness in the moment by Pav.

Yea, I see your point. But, I don't think he can pull that off with a throw from right field. That's JMO. If he lunges at the wrong spot and totally wiffs, then it's even a worse play. The runner could have been trying a semi-hook slide where he is very wide and uses his hand, which is dangerous but still can be used. Pav doesn't know that until he grabs the ball and looks.

Yea, I see your point. But, I don't think he can pull that off with a throw from right field. That's JMO. If he lunges at the wrong spot and totally wiffs, then it's even a worse play. The runner could have been trying a semi-hook slide where he is very wide and uses his hand, which is dangerous but still can be used. Pav doesn't know that until he grabs the ball and looks.
👍 I’ll compromise with that.

In the end, I just don’t see how replay determines this is safe.
24753165-B4DD-44D4-9544-834F7F4294DB.png
5AAED9C4-DB17-4581-9C28-B1B5DA744570.png

Reactions: VolGee4
I guess all the above are correct. Pav didn't have the best posture to make the play and I agree he should have been the aggressor on the play. However, I do agree replay clearly shows the man's foot was above the plate when Pav made contact with the glove. AND the ump probably became shielded on the play as well. I too am not 100% clear with the blocking rule in collegiate baseball but would assume its similar to MLB now. I guess its just a play that will get our attention until the sting of the loss wears off.

That's my point. He didn't move toward the runner by leaning away from the plate, and instead absorbing the slide allowing the runner to get as close as possible to the plate on a throw that beat him so soundly. On a throw like that, he should have created as much space between the plate and the runner as possible.

Exactly if he had done that then it would not have even been a discussion for umpires

Reactions: cncchris33
Either: 1) the runner is safe because Pave blocked his access to the plate (what's the rule in college?), or 2) the runner is out because the tag was applied before he touched the plate.

So you are saying the team quit when the ump made that bad call? We did not score another run the rest of the game. When that inning started it was 4-4, they scored 4 the rest of the game we scored 0. Good pitching or we quit, which is it? I say it was good pitching.
No, we didn't quit, we just had to play differently. We rolling into the next innings down by 1 instead of 3 and we bunt a runner over. Instead, we have to swing for a big inning. I'm saying it contributed to them being able to pitch us differently. Completely changed the nature of the game.

VN Store

Back