Horrible umping

This one was pretty indisputable and I know the replay isn't handled by the on field umps.

Ive never officiated something beyond HS so I'm not sure what, if any, interaction/discussion the replay official has with the ump while on the headset.

When I worked college baseball, it was long before replay. But my buddies that are still working tell me that they go and describe what they saw and why they made the call. Then it is in the replay official watching the video frame by frame to decide to uphold the call or reverse it.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? My comment only brought to light the fact that the umpires on the field do not make the final call when it goes to replay.

Really? There's a pic RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Look at it and tell me what is disputable about it?

The fact that whoever reviewed it also go it wrong doesn't absolve you of being able to judge the pic for yourself.

It was a bad call that completely changed the trajectory of the game.

The fact that the sliding runner's foot is on top of Pav's (meaning it's NOT on the plate) while Pav's glove, with the ball in it is ON HIM means the runner is OUT.

Period.

Reactions: peerless98
But in the video, Pav's foot is clearly in front of the plate. In the pic, the guys foot is on top of Pav's. Are you suggesting he pushed Pav's foot out of the way, caught the base, before the tag, then ended up in position on the pic?

No. I'm trying to figure out why the ump could've called him safe. It looks like the runner's foot is on Pav but the heel could've touched the plate before the tag. That's the only thing that can make sense and is remotely possible.

Really? There's a pic RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Look at it and tell me what is disputable about it?

The fact that whoever reviewed it also go it wrong doesn't absolve you of being able to judge the pic for yourself.

It was a bad call that completely changed the trajectory of the game.

The fact that the sliding runner's foot is on top of Pav's (meaning it's NOT on the plate) while Pav's glove, with the ball in it is ON HIM means the runner is OUT.

Period.

Once again, and for the last time. I am not the one that made the call and I have not even commented on whether it was the right call or not.

No. I'm trying to figure out why the ump could've called him safe. It looks like the runner's foot is on Pav but the heel could've touched the plate before the tag. That's the only thing that can make sense and is remotely possible.

Review location has very high definition and frame by frame stop. I have no idea if he was out or safe, but obviously the review official saw something that caused him to agree with the call on the field. Or at least, not be able to overturn it.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Once again, and for the last time. I am not the one that made the call and I have not even commented on whether it was the right call or not.

Yeah.... You can't see the evidence right in front of you.

Stop stirring ****

Review location has very high definition and frame by frame stop. I have no idea if he was out or safe, but obviously the review official saw something that caused him to agree with the call on the field. Or at least, not be able to overturn it.

And, no replay official, wherever they may be, has ever gotten one wrong.....

OK

As I have previously stated, the home plate ump set out begging for a way to call him safe. High tag, let's assume that front foot for the plate. From his angle, there is ZERO way he knew if the foot in fact touched the plate.

As I have previously stated, the home plate ump set out begging for a way to call him safe. High tag, let's assume that front foot for the plate. From his angle, there is ZERO way he knew if the foot in fact touched the plate.

I'm still waiting for dude to tell me how a "bad" tag makes a runner safe

Again, I'm guessing I'm gonna have to wait awhile

Wrong. Why do you think balls off the plate are called strikes? Big boy baseball strike zone is belt to 3 inches below the knee and 2-3 off the outside part of the plate. It’s not technically a strike out there, but it’s called one because it’s considered a good pitch. Umps are given leeway to adjust calls based on exceptional play or poor technique
Balls off the plate are called strikes because humans are imperfect and they are making calls on balls that, at times, arrive at 100+ mph, or break 18" across the zone in microseconds. It is the same reason that strikes that cross directly thru the zone are sometimes called balls. People make mistakes and it is the driving force behind the idea of robo-umps (right or wrong).

So.... Show me a pic from an angle that makes that dude safe.......

I'm guessing I'm gonna have to wait awhile

The point is, one picture that seems to show that his foot is on top of Pav’s and not touching the plate, is not proof that he was out.
I understand the emotion involved. You might be 100% correct. I am glad you have this avenue to vent. I have wide shoulders, vent away!

The point is, one picture that seems to show that his foot is on top of Pav’s and not touching the plate, is not proof that he was out.
I understand the emotion involved. You might be 100% correct. I am glad you have this avenue to vent. I have wide shoulders, vent away!

Ahhh..... Gotcha.

You can't disprove that it was a terrible call at a crucial time in the game that allowed TX to grab momentum.

Still waiting for that angle.....

In big boy baseball, umps will penalize you for a bad tag even if it was an out.

Do me a favor.....

Define a "bad tag".

And, I'm not being a crock here... I genuinely want to know how a tag applied before the opposing player touched the base is "bad" and should result in a safe call.

200w.gif

Ahhh..... Gotcha.

You can't disprove that it was a terrible call at a crucial time in the game that allowed TX to grab momentum.

Still waiting for that angle.....

I don’t NEED it, but you seem to NEED it.
To each his own.

The umps have an impossible job. And they know that. One of my closest friends is a long time SEC ump about to retire so I have a lot of respect for those guys. I have looked at slow motion video with him over and over of a bang bang play on ESPN and the color commentator disagreed with the call on live tv. My friend was convinced he got it right but I really could not tell whether the runner was safe or out. Having said all that… the umpire team today seemed “agitated” and ready to take control of the game from the very start. I personally think they LOST control of the game and overacted to cause interruption in the flow of the game. CLEARLY Pav put the tag on the boy at the plate but it wasn’t overturned for some reason. And we put the equipment in storage and wait for next year. JMO.

that run would not have changed the outcome of the game. Good pitching beats good hitting most of the time. Texas had the lowest ERA in college baseball. Our pitching was not "on" today.
Not true at all. It ended up costing us 2 runs since that would have been the 3rd out—-plus would have been a HUGE momentum swing for the Vols. It was an incredible relay from Beck to Fergie to Pav and should have been one of the plays of the game if umpired correctly. Just a horrendous call that impacted the game.

Last edited:
The umps have an impossible job. And they know that. One of my closest friends is a long time SEC ump about to retire so I have a lot of respect for those guys. I have looked at slow motion video with him over and over of a bang bang play on ESPN and the color commentator disagreed with the call on live tv. My friend was convinced he got it right but I really could not tell whether the runner was safe or out. Having said all that… the umpire team today seemed “agitated” and ready to take control of the game from the very start. I personally think they LOST control of the game and overacted to cause interruption in the flow of the game. CLEARLY Pav put the tag on the boy at the plate but it wasn’t overturned for some reason. And we put the equipment in storage and wait for next year. JMO.
Agreed. Plus the throwing out of our 1st base Coach happened just moments after TV vehemently argued the batter’s interference call on the steal of 2nd base. He chewed out each umpire, so I think that was payback by the umpires. Extremely unprofessional on their part.

Wrong. Why do you think balls off the plate are called strikes? Big boy baseball strike zone is belt to 3 inches below the knee and 2-3 off the outside part of the plate. It’s not technically a strike out there, but it’s called one because it’s considered a good pitch. Umps are given leeway to adjust calls based on exceptional play or poor technique
BS. You are wrong. An out is an out. Umpires don’t take technique into consideration.

VN Store

Back