Horrible umping

In big boy baseball, umps will penalize you for a bad tag even if it was an out.

Come on Fade, you're better than this...

It wasnt a great tag but it was 100% a blown call that should have never been upheld upon review.

This call was made solely because our bench had been chirping at the umps earlier that inning.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
Can we avoid starting threads like this? It reminds me of excuses UGA fans throw when they lose a football game. It sucks we got eliminated today, and the umpires did assert themselves pretty well, but mistakes are what killed us in Omaha.

Come on Fade, you're better than this...

It wasnt a great tag but it was 100% a blown call that should have never been upheld upon review.

This call was made solely because our bench had been chirping at the umps earlier that inning.

I stand by my post because it’s true. If you can’t make a good low tag when you have time and a good throw, expect the runner to be safe

Reactions: Y9 Vol
No, they don't. If they do then they won't be an umpire for very long.

Wrong. Why do you think balls off the plate are called strikes? Big boy baseball strike zone is belt to 3 inches below the knee and 2-3 off the outside part of the plate. It’s not technically a strike out there, but it’s called one because it’s considered a good pitch. Umps are given leeway to adjust calls based on exceptional play or poor technique

I stand by my post because it’s true. If you can’t make a good low tag when you have time and a good throw, expect the runner to be safe

I don't even disagree with you on the original call but to uphold it upon clear visual evidence to the contrary is just petty and retribution for our chirping earlier that inning.

If you arent going to use replay to overrule calls like this, then there is no need for replay.

I don't even disagree with you on the original call but to uphold it upon clear visual evidence to the contrary is just petty and retribution for our chirping earlier that inning.

If you arent going to use replay to overrule calls like this, then there is no need for replay.

Agree that on review it should’ve been an out, but not on the original call

Can we avoid starting threads like this? It reminds me of excuses UGA fans throw when they lose a football game. It sucks we got eliminated today, and the umpires did assert themselves pretty well, but mistakes are what killed us in Omaha.

I agree the bitchi^g about balls and strikes is stupid but when umps put pettiness over getting the call right, then there's an issue (especially when the issue costs a team 3 runs)

Its not limited to just this game. I've watched most of the CWS, and many a regional game........and I couldn't tell you what a strike zone is. Its all OVER the place, and not even consistent throughout the game with the same ump. Is there even a performance review, or do you get what you get?

In big boy baseball, umps will penalize you for a bad tag even if it was an out.

Do me a favor.....

Define a "bad tag".

And, I'm not being a crock here... I genuinely want to know how a tag applied before the opposing player touched the base is "bad" and should result in a safe call.

That’s ridiculous. What are you actually talking about? Are you suggesting that ugly baseball is penalized even when effective (ie got the job done, like this play at the plate)?

I'm guessing I'm going to have to wait a long time for an answer to my question

Last edited:
Please realize, and not you specifically Mojo, the live call is made on the field, the review is out of the field ump’s hands.
The ole “has to be indisputable” is the standard.

Take another look at the pic.

What's "disputable" about it?

Oh, you've said he was out. Fine.

But, once again, tell me what is disputable about the replay.....

I'll wait

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? My comment only brought to light the fact that the umpires on the field do not make the final call when it goes to replay.

IMO, based on the other videos his left foot is rising at this moment and had already touched home plate.

I hope this video is available. Start watching at about the 4:00 mark.

2021 Men's College World Series schedule
But in the video, Pav's foot is clearly in front of the plate. In the pic, the guys foot is on top of Pav's. Are you suggesting he pushed Pav's foot out of the way, caught the base, before the tag, then ended up in position on the pic?

Reactions: Boca Vol
Please realize, and not you specifically Mojo, the live call is made on the field, the review is out of the field ump’s hands.
The ole “has to be indisputable” is the standard.

This one was pretty indisputable and I know the replay isn't handled by the on field umps.

Ive never officiated something beyond HS so I'm not sure what, if any, interaction/discussion the replay official has with the ump while on the headset.

VN Store

Back