Horrible umping

that run would not have changed the outcome of the game. Good pitching beats good hitting most of the time. Texas had the lowest ERA in college baseball. Our pitching was not "on" today.
May have lost our composure for the first time this year. Bases loaded, no outs, impatient, pitcher has to throw strikes and we hit a weak ground ball into a killer double play. Looked like the moment might have possibly been too big for us. Great season with a disappointing finish. Enjoyed the ride.

I don't mean to block the plate. I mean come up the line to meet the runner. Don't wait for him to come to you, especially on a throw that had the runner beat that badly. He didn't need to block the plate. He could have almost come to the runner as he started his slide instead of waiting for the slide to come meet him right in front of the plate. Much closer play than the throw and catch really dictated.

I get what you are saying, but I’ve watched the replay, and the runner is starting his slide or a split second later starting his slide as Pav catches the ball. I never caught as a player, but I don’t think they are taught to move up the line unless the throw takes you up the line.

Pav had his one foot blocking the plate and turned with his other as he caught the ball. Maybe he could have gone a little lower, but lower means a split second more for the player to slide.

I saw someone say they’ve played and coached for years, and he said a throw that beats the runner by that much and ends in a bang-bang play is almost always out. I’m a bit old school, and I agree. Just a poor call and review.

I get what you are saying, but I’ve watched the replay, and the runner is starting his slide or a split second later starting his slide as Pav catches the ball. I never caught as a player, but I don’t think they are taught to move up the line unless the throw takes you up the line.

Pav had his one foot blocking the plate and turned with his other as he caught the ball. Maybe he could have gone a little lower, but lower means a split second more for the player to slide.

I saw someone say they’ve played and coached for years, and he said a throw that beats the runner by that much and ends in a bang-bang play is almost always out. I’m a bit old school, and I agree. Just a poor call and review.

Yes, you would not move up the line unless to catch a ball up the line. You could catch the ball then go towards the runner. I don't think Pav did anything wrong here. Maybe getting the tag down quicker.

Respectfully, I disagree. He caught the ball, turned and then absorbed the contact of the slide instead of coming off the plate putting his body even further up the 3rd base line to prevent any potential contact with the runner and the plate prior to the tag. Doing this would have eliminated any chance of the Texas runner from scoring.

Yes, you would not move up the line unless to catch a ball up the line. You could catch the ball then go towards the runner. I don't think Pav did anything wrong here. Maybe getting the tag down quicker.
That's my point. He didn't move toward the runner by leaning away from the plate, and instead absorbing the slide allowing the runner to get as close as possible to the plate on a throw that beat him so soundly. On a throw like that, he should have created as much space between the plate and the runner as possible.

Why wait on top of the plate to make a tag? Make the tag up the line and there is less chance of a missed call.

Do me a favor.....

Define a "bad tag".

And, I'm not being a crock here... I genuinely want to know how a tag applied before the opposing player touched the base is "bad" and should result in a safe call.

A high tag with a runner sliding in when the defensive player has plenty of time and the throw was on target. Tag must be applied where runner’s body meets the bag/plate

A high tag with a runner sliding in when the defensive player has plenty of time and the throw was on target. Tag must be applied where runner’s body meets the bag/plate

You can't be serious.....

The tag must be applied where the runners body meets the bag ?

What happens in a run down?

Respectfully, I disagree. He caught the ball, turned and then absorbed the contact of the slide instead of coming off the plate putting his body even further up the 3rd base line to prevent any potential contact with the runner and the plate prior to the tag. Doing this would have eliminated any chance of the Texas runner from scoring.

No problem. You are always a good poster. I just don’t think that is how they are taught. Maybe a former college or pro catcher could chime in.

After now watching it multiple times, I kind of get what you are saying, but Pav has to be careful how he makes contact. Looking up the NCAA rule, he can’t initiate forcible contact. If he moves up the line, he also risks the tag being higher up near the head. It’s a bang-bang play based on timing.

Reactions: cncchris33
No problem. You are always a good poster. I just don’t think that is how they are taught. Maybe a former college or pro catcher could chime in.

After now watching it multiple times, I kind of get what you are saying, but Pav has to be careful how he makes contact. Looking up the NCAA rule, he can’t initiate forcible contact. If he moves up the line, he also risks the tag being higher up near the head. It’s a bang-bang play based on timing.

Here I am and Pav did nothing wrong there. Maybe get the tag down a little quicker...he did have a little sjuffle of his feet as a reaction to where the runner slid but that is about it. He isn't setting up for a swipe tag. Watch it in real time.

Before recent rules keeping runners from running into catchers you would block the plate and kind of brace for impact. If you could catch the ball and turn your upper body then lunge toward the runner. Remember, though not many guys were sliding. I about got tossed in a h.s. game for basically launching on a kid running into home plate. I figured he had a 90ft run at me...

Last edited:
Reactions: VolGee4
I answered your question jackwad - sorry I had to step away from VN for a few microseconds to actually live life away from the internet

When is an appropriately applied tag not appropriate?

Argue that the inning was over but went on and TX got another couple of runs on the umps crappy call

Look at the pic. Then tell me the ump got it right......

Although I agree the umpires were atrocious, all of this would have never been a discussion had Hunley not thrown a meatball on a 1-2 count with 2 outs.

Last edited:
May have lost our composure for the first time this year. Bases loaded, no outs, impatient, pitcher has to throw strikes and we hit a weak ground ball into a killer double play. Looked like the moment might have possibly been too big for us. Great season with a disappointing finish. Enjoyed the ride.
That wasn’t a weak ground ball. It was crushed just unfortunately right at the 3B.

Reactions: peerless98
As a former umpire with 25 years on the dirt I have to say this umpire committed one of the cardinal sins of moving while you make the call. Plus he is out of position letting the catcher block him out of the best view from the side. Some might say this wasn't a game changer but many times I've seen a bad call make a change in momentum that changed a game.

Dude. Seriously? Not only was it one run, it was out 3 and they brought in another run that same inning. 6-4 is nowhere near the same game as 5-4. You play everything differently. Huge difference.

The umping was really really inconsistent. Unacceptable on this big a stage. Also, like the announcers were saying, the stupid umps need to hide. They made this whole game about them.
So you are saying the team quit when the ump made that bad call? We did not score another run the rest of the game. When that inning started it was 4-4, they scored 4 the rest of the game we scored 0. Good pitching or we quit, which is it? I say it was good pitching.

VN Store

Back