Holly isn’t handling the termination well...

What’s concerning to me is this board regularly rated Jimmy Hyams a ________ (you fill in the blank). But when he puts something out that fits a slamfest suddenly he’s gospel truth. Not defending or endorsing anyone just pointing out obvious hypocrisy.

This is me. I thought Hyams was an idiot but he has looked remarkably smarter over the last 5 or 6 years with all the programs.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Phil Fulmer may have wanted the Tennessee fans to know how Holly acted after she was fired. To possibly make him look better and Holly Warlick look like a rude bitter person which she seems to be.

Well this leaves no doudt that Fulmer was not the bad guy here. He gave her respect by offering her a position in the UT family. He took the high road & wanted the media to get that out in the street

Why the need to demonize a failed coach? It's not enough that she got fired? Do we need to make Holly some sort of villain based upon innuendo? Why assume the worst motives or behavior? Does it make people feel better to paint Holly as a bad person rather than an unsuccessful coach?
So Holly was not offered another job. Why would she take a less paying job rather than her large buyout salary? Why assume she is in a bad relationship with the team or declined to speak with the team. Was there an opportunity?

She apparently did go away quietly, maybe without even speaking with the team, yet here we are.

Exactly. We haven't heard anything from Holly since before the announcement. Somehow, we managed to miss her public rants, angry press conferece, open letters to public, talk show interviews, etc.

Unless Holly was threatening to make a public statement or file a lawsuit, why release the details of tbe firing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smallvol#1
If Holly wants to prove her critics wrong. She should take a head coaching job at a mid-major school or one of the bottom tier teams at a power 5 school on the cheap. Take one a year hiatus. Watch every game that she's coached. Pinpoint her weaknesses and all of the bad decisions that were made. Then strengthen and improve those weaknesses...I'm sure Hally can get a job at one of the lower level schools. She did not succeed as the Lady Vol head coach, but she still has a decent win percentage.

If Holly wants to prove her critics wrong. She should take a head coaching job at a mid-major school or one of the bottom tier teams at a power 5 school on the cheap. Take one a year hiatus. Watch every game that she's coached. Pinpoint her weaknesses and all of the bad decisions that were made. Then strengthen and improve those weaknesses...I'm sure Hally can get a job at one of the lower level schools. She did not succeed as the Lady Vol head coach, but she still has a decent win percentage.

She has a decent win percentage because she never had to build the program up the way Jeff Walz had to, and inherited a talented roster and recruitment class loaded with highly coveted players. My guess is that ADs at other schools have zero confidence that she could come even remotely close to that win % without having the benefit of all the privileges she had by being handed the keys to one of the top 2-3 programs in the country. And deep down, I bet Holly knows this too...which is shy she's not even bothering looking to stay in coaching.

She has a decent win percentage because she never had to build the program up the way Jeff Walz had to, and inherited a talented roster and recruitment class loaded with highly coveted players. My guess is that ADs at other schools have zero confidence that she could come even remotely close to that win % without having the benefit of all the privileges she had by being handed the keys to one of the top 2-3 programs in the country. And deep down, I bet Holly knows this too...which is shy she's not even bothering looking to stay in coaching.

Yep and her first 2 seasons should have an asteric by them if you ask me. She was handling the in game play calls, but Pat was still running practice from the sounds of things.

It's not by works, but faith alone. That being said, grasping reality is not wallowing.

Re: your first statement, 100% agreement. I originally wrote "attaining" (as in aspiring) but (without getting too deep into theology) it's not something that can be earned. Also, one can have absolute assurance when relying solely upon the perfection of a perfectly holy savior.

Re: the other...my point was that we have already moved on from Holly and that there's no need to keep dancing on her coaching grave. When (or if) the Hyams report is confirmed by named sources, I would agree with a lot of the statements being made. Even then, though, a single comment would be enough to express disapproval. Dwelling on this just makes the fan base look bad, and we only have one side of the story at this point...and that's only a "sort of one side" given that the source isn't named.

And, yeah, I know that these sort of reports get thrown out all the time coming from anonymous sources. Sometimes they turn out to be true; sometimes not; sometimes only partially true. In this case, though, the description of what happened in the meeting leaves an ugly lasting impression of Warlick's character, not just her coaching competence. IMO, that's serious enough that sources need to be named or Hyams should never have released the statement.

Reactions: Smallvol#1

Firing Holly was the right move, she's a mediocre head coach. However, HW became HC under some unique/stressful circumstances. There was pressure on her to win from the start. Holly learned a lot from P.Summit, but Summit's coaching style was a bit outdated. I think coaching at a lower level school, where the expectations are low and she can develop her own identity/coaching style could really help Holly's growth as a head coach...But Warlick first needs to take a look in the mirror and be honest about her shortcomings.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back