Heupel Doubts or No?

Heupel will be a 7-5 to 9-3 coach here most years. That’s just the likely reality considering the recruiting landscape, the meat grinder schedule of playing in the SEC, and coaching in a conference with Saban and Smart. He may do well enough to get into a 12 team playoff every once in a while.

I think CJH is a good coach, and he is a huge upgrade over previous years - admittedly, that’s a very low bar. Do I think he is a “generational” coach like Saban, Smart, or Urban Meyer who will win multiple titles? No. Is UT likely to find such a unicorn? No way.
I'm good with 7-9 annually with the occasional 10+ season here and there. If someone offered me 7 wins next year guaranteed, I'd take it right now...in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
I'm good with 7-9 annually with the occasional 10+ season here and there. If someone offered me 7 wins next year guaranteed, I'd take it right now...in a heartbeat.

Maybe if the 7 wins were all against SEC opponents.

I’m more concerned with the officiating. It’s gotta be hard to keep fighting when you know it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: pimo1
What's our record through 9 games been the past 15 years? I'll take the success we've had, and hope the recruiting classes fill in. We still don't have a top to bottom team. I will judge the year after next. Nico will be in year two and we should make some noise again.
Why do we keep using the worst 15 years in our history as the new standard? That period should not be used to determine how successful we are go forward. We should try and forgot those 15 years and block them from our memory.

Why do we keep using the worst 15 years in our history as the new standard? That period should not be used to determine how successful we are go forward. We should try and forgot those 15 years and block them from our memory.
Can we also pretend we have better players?

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I’d give Heupel an A- for last year and a D for this year. Year 1 was a Milligan. His overall average is now about a C, maybe C+. As such, he’s about at expectations, no higher or lower. If next year starts to trend down more, I’d say we should be concerned.

Going to be a very young team so with all these front runners jumping off , tickets should be reasonable next yr

Im beginning to wonder if the SEC defensive coordinators have figured out how to defend Josh's offense along with not having good quarterback play. We definitely need an upgrade at Defensive Coordinator ourselves.
I’m not saying that DC’s haven’t found ways to defend the offense better, but the offense looks just like it did in 2021 before Hooker took over. Milton hasn’t improved at all since then in my opinion. Playing in garbage time and the Orange bowl last year fooled me into having high expectations for the offense this year. Hooker was accurate (for the most part), could move the chains running, and he was a leader. Outside of short spurts, Milton just isn’t any of those on a regular Basis.

Reactions: CrazyUncleVol
He has to try and do something about the CB coach and DC position. We don't have to have the best in America, but they have to at least be solid. We simply do not have any players in the back end of our defense and the playing zone more often than not has killed us.

I think the offense will always be fine as long as he has a QB. This year was not the case in that regard.

There's no doubt he's better than the last 3 coaches we've had. I'm still not sure though if he's anything better than on average winning 8 games.

This far this team has 4 losses 3 to teams currently ranked in the top9. And one to Florida. A loss that could look a lot kess bad if they pop FSU tomorrow. Being fully serious its not like in the past where we were dropping games to Wyoming...this program is on an upward trend. But its not gonna happen overnight.

Reactions: minorvol
This far this team has 4 losses 3 to teams currently ranked in the top9. And one to Florida. A loss that could look a lot kess bad if they pop FSU tomorrow. Being fully serious its not like in the past where we were dropping games to Wyoming...this program is on an upward trend. But its not gonna happen overnight.
A Florida team that is randomly capable of good football.
They were 4th and 17 from beating #9.

Reactions: pimo1
Starting next year, our coach will be responsible for answering that question too. After all, it’s part of what he gets paid for.
Maybe the biggest problem is a lack of commitment from our elite fanbase in underfunding our NIL bank. If we continue to lose battles where NIL can be linked to NIL money, facts will be facts. Can you share evidence of at least a 5 figure donation to the cause.

Yes. We are not even competitive against good teams. CJP is showing signs of Butch and Pruitt stubbornness, no adjustments made, no improvement and insisting on his offensive system regardless of personnel. All of the goodness from last year had been cancelled out this year. And please don’t tell me I need to be patient, I think 20 years of patience is enough. It’s time to get the job done. I’ve pretty much lost interest in this Football season. Time to move on to basketball.

Please follow through and move on. A classic example of addition by subtraction would be there for all to NOT see and hear.

Oh my, just how long does it take to learn a playbook? Dobbs learned Minn. playbook in 3 days.
Dobbs is the exception not the rule, he is literally a rocket scientist. Im pretty sure when he dreams the concepts are 10 times more difficult to comprehend. We can’t compare Nico to him. In all actuality the goal is to get to a level where everyone one can redshirt. That is the only way we will get back to a certain level.

Because Heupel has billed himself as being a QB guru.
Well, no. Because of the facts of what happened vs the revisionism of those trying to find a reason to take shots at him.

You play the guys who perform best in practice. There is always the chance/risk of a "gamer". But if you start playing guys who aren't your best practice performers then you lose your team. They learn pretty quick that it doesn't matter how hard they work or how much they put into development and practice... you'll play someone else any way. And that's true even when you have situations like Hooker vs Milton. Every good coach approaches it that way.

The most difficult case is when it happens at QB because you typically don't play 2. Any other position and a guy just has to be good enough to get in the rotation.
Heupel invited skepticism when he started Milton over Hooker, and stuck with Milton this season when it became obvious that he limits the team's ability to score points, when the offensive ethos is basically to move at warp speed and score as quickly and as often as possible.
No he didn't. He's playing the guy that he has that knows how to manage the O. He is NOT playing a kid that was too underdeveloped risking injuring his body or destroying his confidence before he even gets started. This year was in part an investment in getting Nico ready.
Heupel is here for 6 years minimum, and it looks more likely that we're having the same debates the entire time, than it doesn't.
Only if you and others insist on nitpicking and refusae to see the "big picture" rather than the tip of the elephant's trunk.

Oh my, just how long does it take to learn a playbook? Dobbs learned Minn. playbook in 3 days.
Not exactly. A lot of teams in the NFL run the same plays or very close and use the same nomenclature specifically so they can trade players and plug them in right away.

And it isn't exactly fair to compare anyone else to a literal rocket scientist.

Has the regression this season caused you to have any doubts about Heupel and his future? In my case, the answer is yes, sort of. I did not think we would see 3 disheartening losses in year 3 of this staff but here we are. I am NOT calling for Heupel's head but I wonder if I'm alone in hearing a little voice in my head that says "this may not be what we thought it was going to be." I hope I'm wrong but I have some experience with the little voice. I have learned to not ignore it.
We were expected to take a step back this year. I think we all just didn’t want to believe that. I still think we have the right guy leading the program.

One bad loss this year (FL). Other losses to #1, #8, #9 - two of those on the road.

Last year was ahead of schedule; this year was a step back but the offense was just out of sync which seems more of a personnel thing. A break out player (see Missouri's RB) can change a season.

I'm still on the Heup-train

VN Store

Back