Heupel Doubts or No?

Top 10 realisticaly, Every yr I am fine with. Because if you are continously in the top ten you will have opportunities to win it all in some of these years.
This exactly. He is keeping up ranked. He is keeping us relevant. This is the closest we’ve been in my teen-adulthood (15-33) that we have been relevant or even consistently ranked. Why someone would want to move on is beyond me.

I think if we could round up and deport most (not all, but most) of the first 12 people who posted in this thread, send them all to Antarctica or southern Alabama or some other desolate place without modern communications, then the state of Tennessee and the Volunteers football program's fan base would be much healthier. Heh.

We need people who don't live minute to minute, who are capable of seeing more strategically. Who don't panic every time trouble arises. Who are steadfast. Who know loyalty, and who give respect to the man in the arena for his sacrifice.

Go Vols!

His physical appearance makes me wonder what personal limitations he has that affect the game. He looks awful.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Heupel will be a 7-5 to 9-3 coach here most years. That’s just the likely reality considering the recruiting landscape, the meat grinder schedule of playing in the SEC, and coaching in a conference with Saban and Smart. He may do well enough to get into a 12 team playoff every once in a while.

I think CJH is a good coach, and he is a huge upgrade over previous years - admittedly, that’s a very low bar. Do I think he is a “generational” coach like Saban, Smart, or Urban Meyer who will win multiple titles? No. Is UT likely to find such a unicorn? No way.

I think a 9-4 finish this year would be ideal.

Here is where I’m at. Finish 9-4 this year and go 9-3 next year and that’s 10-2/8-4/9-3 in 3 years for a 9-3 average.

Do that in a 3 year run and program is stabilized and most of mission is accomplished. Heupel getting 35 wins minimum in 4 seasons would ensure he gets a 5th/6th year and the real expectations can get going because he’s gonna have a roster 1000% of his own guys and none from the Pruitt / 2020 roster debacle he walked into.

The big difference is that Milton is not even close to Shuler. and that is why many on here want Nico to have more playing time this year to better prepare him for next year.
No but hooker was. My point was hooker was Shuler. Milton is Todd Helton/ a freshmen peyton manning/ brandon stewart.

Reactions: cgrish
Heupel will be a 7-5 to 9-3 coach here most years. That’s just the likely reality considering the recruiting landscape, the meat grinder schedule of playing in the SEC, and coaching in a conference with Saban and Smart. He may do well enough to get into a 12 team playoff every once in a while.

I think CJH is a good coach, and he is a huge upgrade over previous years - admittedly, that’s a very low bar. Do I think he is a “generational” coach like Saban, Smart, or Urban Meyer who will win multiple titles? No. Is UT likely to find such a unicorn? No way.
Pretty much how I feel at the moment as well. Was a bit higher on him before the Missouri debacle.

I think a 9-4 finish this year would be ideal.

Here is where I’m at. Finish 9-4 this year and go 9-3 next year and that’s 10-2/8-4/9-3 in 3 years for a 9-3 average.

Do that in a 3 year run and program is stabilized and most of mission is accomplished. Heupel getting 35 wins minimum in 4 seasons would ensure he gets a 5th/6th year and the real expectations can get going because he’s gonna have a roster 1000% of his own guys and none from the Pruitt / 2020 roster debacle he walked into.

The 10-2 season doesn't happen without Pruitt's recruits, including the QB.

Advocating for 9-4 as being "ideal" is nonsense, since breaking even in conference play is never "ideal", but especially not so with how we lost our 4 conference games this season.

Reactions: Mtnvol80

That's about what i see. I think Saban retires soon but that program won't fall off much for a while even with him gone. No telling how long Kirby will be UGA, he's not done winning titles yet and may rival Saban's by the time he's done. There is a pecking order and unless Tennessee steps it up in recruiting it's going to be hard to get over that hill.

Advocating for 9-4 as being "ideal" is nonsense, since breaking even in conference play is never "ideal", but especially not so with how we lost our 4 conference games this season.
Pruitt got some very good Olinemen here that Heupel benefitted from.. It's going to be the Jimmy's and Joe's that determine the success. Tennessee got pushed around in their losses and that's what has to change. Doesn't matter how much razzle dazzle plays you can call. When push comes to shove you get punked if they're blowing you off the line of scrimmage.

I never knew we had so many retired or out of work coaches on here. I’m sure Heupel would love if some of you came to the field and offered your input on how to coach, recruit, etc.

Some of y’all should post up your resumes so we can judge your coaching experience and maybe it’ll get to a booster and you could be the next coach or the Tennessee Volunteers!!!

I never knew we had so many retired or out of work coaches on here. I’m sure Heupel would love if some of you came to the field and offered your input on how to coach, recruit, etc.

Some of y’all should post up your resumes so we can judge your coaching experience and maybe it’ll get to a booster and you could be the next coach or the Tennessee Volunteers!!!

The old "current coach is beyond criticism because he's the coach, and his critics are not" fallacy; classic.

Ffs you need some sustained success to build on to compete for championships. Ill 100% take a team that has a winning record every year instead of the sh!tshow this program has been for the last 15 years.

Also, don't live vicariously through sports teams..

Reactions: Behr and tvolsfan
Ffs you need some sustained success to build on to compete for championships. Ill 100% take a team that has a winning record every year instead of the sh!tshow this program has been for the last 15 years.

Also, don't live vicariously through sports teams..
Easier said than done.

I do think people had too high expectations for this year.

Last edited:

Hooker rolled up to Tennessee with a head coach after and stayed…. He wasn’t locked in to staying….

And yes, finishing 9-4 this season as we sit at 7-4 is indeed “ideal”…. Quit crying and complaining for the sake of complaining.

Hooker rolled up to Tennessee without a head coach and stayed…. He wasn’t locked in to staying….

And yes, finishing 9-4 this season as we sit at 7-4 is indeed “ideal”…. Quit crying and complaining for the sake of complaining.

Hooker doesn't roll up to Tennessee without Pruitt.

No matter how much you want it to be, 4-4 will never be a good conference record.

Hooker doesn't roll up to Tennessee without Pruitt.

No matter how much you want it to be, 4-4 will never be a good conference record.

Hooker announced on 1/7/21. Pruitt fired less than 2 weeks later to which Hooker could have easily bolted….

To sit here and claim that Hooker is solely due to Pruitt is absurd. Of course you have to be absurd if you think he was forced to stick it out here regardless.

Once again, keep crying and complaining for the sake of it.

Unless you have some voodoo magic, we can’t replay this season. You may think finishing 7-6 is the same as finishing 9-4 but you’re wrong, bucko…..

But once again, some people, like you, continue to complain and cry for the sake of it.

Lolol
Pruitt’s recruits all hit the portal.

Agree. He needs to start sharing what CHANGES he is going to start making - staff, schemes, players, whatever. He’s not giving anyone confidence that he knows what he’s doing.
‘he needs to’? just call him and tell him how you did it when you coached

We have the best total package HC since Doug Dickey on tap imo. I anticipate similar results to what he would have achieved if he hadn’t cratered his legacy running to Florida.

Hooker announced on 1/7/21. Pruitt fired less than 2 weeks later to which Hooker could have easily bolted….

To sit here and claim that Hooker is solely due to Pruitt is absurd. Of course you have to be absurd if you think he was forced to stick it out here regardless.

Once again, keep crying and complaining for the sake of it.

Unless you have some voodoo magic, we can’t replay this season. You may think finishing 7-6 is the same as finishing 9-4 but you’re wrong, bucko…..

But once again, some people, like you, continue to complain and cry for the sake of it.

So your belief is what, that Hooker knew Pruitt was getting fired, and came to UT anyway?

I know you want to believe that Heupel is the second coming of Neyland, but he's not responsible for Hooker being at UT.

Hooker chose to stay in spite of Pruitt being fired, and he was passed over for Milton, in spite of having been with Heupel for spring practice.

So your belief is what, that Hooker knew Pruitt was getting fired, and came to UT anyway?

I know you want to believe that Heupel is the second coming of Neyland, but he's not responsible for Hooker being at UT.

Hooker chose to stay in spite of Pruitt being fired, and he was passed over for Milton, in spite of having been with Heupel for spring practice.
No Hooker himself said he was going to bolt till Hypel sold him on staying.
Everyone watching practice said Milton was the better option early. Hooker said Milton was the better option early.
But don’t let that get in the way of your mindless negativity

VN Store

Back