Heupel Doubts or No?

All due respect but I don't think I am being dumb. I am looking at what's on the field right in front of me. That, in fact, is all anyone can use to form an opinion. As a 50-year Vol fan, obviously I hope Tennessee comes out next year and smokes 'em all. But I don't see anything right now that makes me believe that's even possible. Heupel had a tremendous year last year. No question. But that doesn't put him above question. And I have questions now that I did not have 4 months ago. And I once defended Butch Jones, so I don't go down that road without very good reason to do so.
I do not think it is dumb to question Heupel however I do think it is dumb to give him a certain level of critique he does not deserve….. is he overly aggressive at times yes, Should he have rode Joe( that’s a difficult question to answer) there are things that are true but to overlook the impact of injuries on this team is just not fair.

Like me, I'm sure you thought Milton would be better. I hate to disparage him, but he's just not it. All the tools, but no situational awareness at all
Milton is a great guy. Did everything a great teammate should do. Every real vol fan wanted him to be successful. But he just wasn’t the guy.

If we're playing short handed on talent, which I agree we are due to injuries and lack of scholarships , but why does that keep a coach from trying some gadget plays during the game ? Like the play Georgia used on us yesterday where the receiver takes the ball like he's running but throws a TD pass in the end zone to a wide open receiver? Every game we've played this year, our opponents used trick plays to shake us and they all worked for the most part. Our play calling reeks from simplicity and being predictable. throw a twist in there once every other game already ?
I truly believe injuries have impacted both sides of the ball and play calling. You have to run plays that have a high probability of success. Objectively I appreciate the kids but Dayne Davis and Jeremiah Crawford are not SEC football players and they have both started multiple games this year on the Oline. The continuity necessary to run those types of plays we don’t have. A simple misstep and a trick play is now a 10 yd loss. Losing Bru hurt badly, Thorton to, again I don’t know if Keyton should be a starter in the SEC and Squirrel is limited by his size

I'm as upset about the outcome of these games as the next person, but i don't know what some of yall are on that had you thinking we'd be as good as last year with all that we lost. This program is nowhere near a spot that we can just "reload". This season ended exactly where I predicted it. 8-4. In my eyes if huepel has another year like this one in the 2025 season then it will be time to re-evaluate things.

It's like some of you forget the roster troubles this team faced just a couple years ago coming off the worst season in program history. It's not a quick fix and Huepel pulled a rabbit out of his hat to give us last season way faster than any reasonable person thought we'd get it and now people are holding it against him for not doing it again.

And yes...I would've like to see a qb other than joe.

Very poor off-season decisions made. Not taking a QB transfer. Riding with Milton all year. The obvious lack of defensive coaching. No discipline.

I'm as upset about the outcome of these games as the next person, but i don't know what some of yall are on that had you thinking we'd be as good as last year with all that we lost. This program is nowhere near a spot that we can just "reload". This season ended exactly where I predicted it. 8-4. In my eyes if huepel has another year like this one in the 2025 season then it will be time to re-evaluate things.

It's like some of you forget the roster troubles this team faced just a couple years ago coming off the worst season in program history. It's not a quick fix and Huepel pulled a rabbit out of his hat to give us last season way faster than any reasonable person thought we'd get it and now people are holding it against him for not doing it again.

And yes...I would've like to see a qb other than joe.

All the problems you list is specifically due to how Heupel is managing this program. You realize that right?

People want to bash Milton and rightfully so, but Milton has been here 2 years under Heupel. Heupel knew what he was and decided to ride with him.

People want to b1tch about the lack of quality depth at quite a few positions. Again, year 3 of Heupel's program rebuild. Where is our young depth from these recruiting classes? We should be seeing some of those players make plays this year.

Heupel has shown his offense and his style can win big in this league, what he hasnt shown is that he knows how to build and manage an upper tier SEC program...and as I have said, he has until 2025 to convince he can.

But people have to quit coach worshipping these guys. After burning through coaches, we should be in a show me/prove it with every coach.

All the problems you list is specifically due to how Heupel is managing this program. You realize that right?

People want to bash Milton and rightfully so, but Milton has been here 2 years under Heupel. Heupel knew what he was and decided to ride with him.

People want to b1tch about the lack of quality depth at quite a few positions. Again, year 3 of Heupel's program rebuild. Where is our young depth from these recruiting classes? We should be seeing some of those players make plays this year.

Heupel has shown his offense and his style can win big in this league, what he hasnt shown is that he knows how to build and manage an upper tier SEC program...and as I have said, he has until 2025 to convince he can.

But people have to quit coach worshipping these guys. After burning through coaches, we should be in a show me/prove it with every coach.
The first rule of coaching change should be= don't run off the current coach until you got a better one to slide in that spot. ( see Fulmer/ post Fulmer era)

Reactions: Frozevol
Not going to read through this - I will just say I have no doubts that CJH can get it done.

Some of you seem to want miracles. Pruitt literally WRECKED this program and left it in the worst shape it has been EVER IN.

But you all go ahead and do you and chase off a good coach.

Im beginning to wonder if the SEC defensive coordinators have figured out how to defend Josh's offense along with not having good quarterback play. We definitely need an upgrade at Defensive Coordinator ourselves.
The defenses coaches know how to defend Milton, it’s that simple. They know what he can and cannot do. GBO

So it’s all in how you define results.
They’re realistic and unrealistic.

Apparently the standard is wins and losses, which we are ahead of schedule by any realistic standards, until the narrative changes.

And don’t give me this “blown out” bull **** either.
We’ve seen Bama And Georgia play twice a year on occasion where one blew the other out then lost in the rematch the same year.

If you’re mad about the point number on this loss but would have been ok with the loss if we made those 3 catches then you’re……not very smart
was gonna post last night we got some ppl gettin into "moral victory" territory

In 2015 with Alvin Kamara, Josh Dobbs, Jalen Hurd, Juauan Jennings, Pig Howard, Shy Tuttle, Cam Sutton, Marquez North, Derek Barnett, Emmanuel Mosely, Jaylen Reeves Maybin, and Curt Maggit....we went 9-4. Which is what we will probably do this year with 10% of that talent.

My major concern with Josh is his inability to make changes after half time. The second half performance in the key games in beyond pitiful. Maybe the OC is just not able to dissect what we can actually do successfully and consistently.

Nope Hueple is the guy, to be disappointed in an 8-4 season 2/12 seasons after the mess Pruitt left is a testament to how fast Hueple has stabilized the program. It hasn't taken long for people to lose perspective.
Heupel can be "the guy" to keep the program at 8-10 wins but not be "the guy" to win an SEC champ and regularly have a good record vs rivals.

Heupel I think needs to be given the benefit of the doubt on this year. However, whether he has a long-term tenure will be determined by not only how well he recruits but also the coaches he has around him. He needs to upgrade both coordinator positions in my opinion
Joey Halzie may be a perfectly fine QB coach, but he is extremely inexperienced as an offensive coordinator. If Heupel just wants "yes" men around his offense then Halzie fits the bill. But when something isn't working he needs to show some humility and accept input from a proven offensive coordinator. Halzie isn't it.
Defensively, everyone knows Willie Martinez should be gone. If he isn't that is going to say alot about Heupel. With exception of Rodney Garner, I'm not sure we have anyone on the defensive staff who can compete with the best. I don't think Tim Banks is the guy as he has shown little to no ability to make adjustments, teach assignments or discipline.

Has the regression this season caused you to have any doubts about Heupel and his future? In my case, the answer is yes, sort of. I did not think we would see 3 disheartening losses in year 3 of this staff but here we are. I am NOT calling for Heupel's head but I wonder if I'm alone in hearing a little voice in my head that says "this may not be what we thought it was going to be." I hope I'm wrong but I have some experience with the little voice. I have learned to not ignore it.
No

Nothing wrong with the offense say what they want Heuple is the OC. The difference is the players. I think we are better at RB but other than that well.... Think about it when Milton was playing ahead of the Hooker the offense then was out of sync until he got hurt and Heuple had to play Hooker then Heuple was like hey I got a QB that can run this offense. Nothing against Milton he is just not as efficient in this offense as Hooker was. He looked good against Clemson due to the fact he and the Team had about a month to get ready. So for me No Doubts after what we came through with the last three coaches (if you can call them that)

Last edited:
Has the regression this season caused you to have any doubts about Heupel and his future? In my case, the answer is yes, sort of. I did not think we would see 3 disheartening losses in year 3 of this staff but here we are. I am NOT calling for Heupel's head but I wonder if I'm alone in hearing a little voice in my head that says "this may not be what we thought it was going to be." I hope I'm wrong but I have some experience with the little voice. I have learned to not ignore it.

The delusion on this board is astounding. Prior to last season, we haven’t won 8 or more games in a regular season since 2016. We won 11 games last season something we haven’t done in 20 years. It was always going to be a step back this and the fact that some of you overlooked that is on you. We also lost our best db and wr? What did you think was going to happen, win 11 games again? Lunacy at its finest

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I am not there yet. The scholarship limitations were glaring when the injuries began to pile up. Losing McCoy was a huge deal. Depth at offensive line and poor coaching in the secondary were big problems as well. QB play was not good enough to overcome our deficiencies... We could not operate at warp speed - so we became very ordinary and much easier to defend.

I think the future can be bright. The portal will be big for us. Gotta' have WRs that can take the lid off of the defense and open up the middle of the field. Then we have to have a QB that can deliver catchable balls on time...

Hang in there. No jumping ship yet for me...

No. He has a reputation among coaches as one of the best Xs and Os guy around(can find his name pop up well before Tennessee as coaches going to him on how to attack some defenses), and just listening to him break down stuff, you can tell he isn't Pruitt, Dooley or Butch.
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt based on how this year played out. Let's be honest, we have some 1s and a bunch of 4s, not much depth and we had a crazy amount of injuries at the worst places on our roster. Considering he only has had 2 recruiting classes and the state of this program when he came in, it's unrealistic to expect much. I think even next year is realistically 8-9 wins, but the year after, he should have 4 full classes and we will see if he can take us to the next level, I just hope we have the patience for it.

It’s a thread because there’s legitimate reason for concern. A UCF poster came on here the day of the hire and said Heupel was terrible in short yardage/ high leverage red zone situations and game management. Well…..guess what????
UCF sour-grapes boy trolled you pretty hard, bruh. 😂

Did you say the same thing last year when Heup tied Fulmer's second-most wins in a season all-time? Because that was after "the day of the hire" also.

I was indifferent to UCF, but now you have me wanting them to lose Saturday since it's their last shot at bowl eligibility. 😂

Last edited:
Some of our fans are dumb. We’re way ahead of where I thought we would be as a program when he was hired. He basically was down an entire class of talent on the roster when he came and took over. Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman, Velus, Bru all those guys did little to nothing before Heupel as well.

This. CJH has done a great job and nobody willing to take over this dumpster fire could have done any better than he has so far. People are so impatient and expect miracles from him while most are mediocre or even suck at their own jobs....just take a look around you in society. The level of service and quality of many products have steadily declined for years.

OP should have put a poll on this thread. The Negavols are greatly outnumbered by folks that understand reality and are thankful for Coach, but you would never guess it by all the drunks and emotional 13yo girls that post crap every time we lose a game. Its an embarrassment whether the negas realize it or not.

Reactions: midnight orange

VN Store

Back