Heupel Doubts or No?

This is the issue. It's not just the 4 losses but the fact they werent competitive in any of the 4.
This 1000% - we were NEVER in any of those games. Yes we played well against Alabama the first half and then quit. THAT is on the coach. I am not ready to move on but Huepel needs to take a serious look at his staff in the off season. Losing is one thing- NEVER being in the game is another. Kentucky, South Carolina and Missouri all held with Georgia for at least part of the game. We were beat after the first play.

Reactions: amorange
This 1000% - we were NEVER in any of those games. Yes we played well against Alabama the first half and then quit. THAT is on the coach. I am not ready to move on but Huepel needs to take a serious look at his staff in the off season. Losing is one thing- NEVER being in the game is another. Kentucky, South Carolina and Missouri all held with Georgia for at least part of the game. We were beat after the first play.

“We were never in any of those games”
“Yes we were up at halftime”

Umm….sir…

Fact. I would not support anyone who coverd for a man who hit a woman.

You would?
You want to win that bad?

I expected better from you. I mistakenly thought you had honor.

That has not a damn thing to do with the hypothetical posited. You’re deflecting.

Because Saban rarely looses to lesser talented teams.

Nearly every lose he has is to a lesser talented team. He doesn’t play Florida or Missouri enough to lose many to them but he’s lost to Ole Miss, Auburn, etc.

Edit: I’ll add that losing to lesser auburn teams especially was a recurrent theme

Reactions: amorange
OMG.... We have become a society of instance gratification, and if we do not get it; "Off with their heads".

Not long ago, we would have been glad to have an 8-4 season. We used to battle for the basement. We are so much better now.

Heupel is a very good coach and I have my yoke on him. I truly believe he can get us to an SEC Championship, and perhaps even, dare I say (NC)....
Yep. I mentioned this in another thread where the discussion involved the most disappointing position group. I started going down the list and it sounded like I was describing a 5-6 football team instead of a team that can possibly end up being a 9 win team. If this is our floor, I'm down with it.

OMG.... We have become a society of instance gratification, and if we do not get it; "Off with their heads".

Not long ago, we would have been glad to have an 8-4 season. We used to battle for the basement. We are so much better now.

Heupel is a very good coach and I have my yoke on him. I truly believe he can get us to an SEC Championship, and perhaps even, dare I say (NC)....

Is it wanting 'instant' gratification if you think that we should be better than 4-4 in conference play in year 3 under Heupel?

That has not a damn thing to do with the hypothetical posited. You’re deflecting.
Nice try.
I directly addressed your point.
Would Saban have lost? I don’t care because I don’t value winning over being a decent human being. Saban absolutely ignored a star player hitting a woman after the UT game last year. Another player 3 years back was accused of rape and played the rest of the season.

By contrast how did my university handle the best player accused of rape a few years back and how did they handle The Banks situation with the police.

If you’re ok with putting a higher value on winning and a different set of rules than players that says more about you than me.

The most troubling thing to me is this - It now looks like Heupel's system has a very narrow margin for success. It requires the right QB, skill players and minimal injuries. If the offense isn't super efficient, the defense is screwed and games get out of hand. This is a good strategy for the SEC?
In theory I think this is a fair criticism, but I don’t think we’ve seen Heupel’s system fully operational yet. His OL recruits haven’t been developed yet. His QB recruit is redshirting. And his WR recruits are just now climbing the depth chart. We saw a glimpse of his passing game can do last year and we saw a glimpse of what his running game can do this year. Let’s hope it all starts coming together soon.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Doubts about what? Be specific.
I don't have doubts he can have a really good season.
I've had doubts the entire time that he can win a conf champ. Why on earth wouldn't you until someone actually proves themselves?
As long as Kirby has things rolling the way they are in Athens, every fanbase in the SEC will have doubts. We need to a little better than we were this season and keep it there consistently until a special player comes along here and there allowing us to compete with UGA.

The nost important thing we need is players

QB / D which should upgrade with the transition
RB / A will round to a B after losing Wright
OL / D time is all that can fix this. Although I think portal help can bridge
WR/ D Squirrel can not be a primary WR in the SEC. Bru getting hurt really hurt here. Everyone else gets an F including the Pope. Think Nimrod and Webb can be successful given time.
TE / D and thats reluctant
DL / B they worked hard and got better. Ran out of gas during the year
Lb/ F Herring is not a starter 3rd team at best. Telander and Carter are better than Beasley/ Herring. Talent is there just young and lack experience.
DB/ F the two FR Mathews and Gibson look like there is really good potential, However the rest are slow and couldnt atick to a piece of fly paper. Losing Hadden hurt, S play is absolutely garbage along with Banks scheme. Both Coaches that have a hand in this unit should seriously be looked at replacing.
ST/ B Ross is pretty damn good after early struggles, PK has been solid when put in good situations.

Reactions: J C Higgins
Is it wanting 'instant' gratification if you think that we should be better than 4-4 in conference play in year 3 under Heupel?
No but is it a realistic expectation?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Is Hypel 100 times better than any of the previous coaches since CFP. Absolutely

Does the depth problems of previous coaches have any bearing on the evaluation of Hypels situation? Nope.

Will Hypel win championships? I have no idea. But I do know we’ll never have to beat vandy to make a bowl game under Hypel which is a wonderful improvement.

I’m willing to give it another couple of years free of freaking out while we find out though.

I’m in no hurry to go back to not winning any sec games while the fans dream of hiring the miracle worker who wouldn’t take this job at any price.

Have we as fans started taking crazy pills? We knew this season was up in the air and the team is going to finish about where most thought but not where we hoped.

Don’t let what we want cloud what is. We had key injuries, WRs and QB that took time to mesh and yes, we flat out laid 2.5 eggs.

Reality is this team, when playing well, was very competitive but lacked depth and the athleticism we needed at key positions. Recruiting is going well, young players will mature and I believe this team is on the rise.

Better days ahead, just a frustrating year.

No but is it a realistic expectation?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Is Hypel 100 times better than any of the previous coaches since CFP. Absolutely

Does the depth problems of previous coaches have any bearing on the evaluation of Hypels situation? Nope.

Will Hypel win championships? I have no idea. But I do know we’ll never have to beat vandy to make a bowl game under Hypel which is a wonderful improvement.

I’m willing to give it another couple of years free of freaking out while we find out though.

I’m in no hurry to go back to not winning any sec games while the fans dream of hiring the miracle worker who wouldn’t take this job at any price.

Where did I say anything about championships?

You don't think that beating Florida, who is objectively garbage this year, was a realistic expectation?

Is it unrealistic to expect us to at the very least, compete with the likes of Missouri, a team we've out-recruited every year Heupel has been here?

If not, at what point are those realistic expectations? Year 4? 5? 7?

Sick of coaching carousels. There's no miracle candidate out there. If we fire yet another coach, every next search becomes more pathetic and desperate. I'm ready to stick with Heupel for several seasons.

Sick of coaching carousels. There's no miracle candidate out there. If we fire yet another coach, every next search becomes more pathetic and desperate. I'm ready to stick with Heupel for several seasons.

We should stick with him another 3-4 seasons but if he isn’t competing for championships after 6-7 seasons it will be time to make a change. Consistent 8-9 win seasons just isn’t good enough.

Reactions: VOLveeta
Where did I say anything about championships?

You don't think that beating Florida, who is objectively garbage this year, was a realistic expectation?

Is it unrealistic to expect us to at the very least, compete with the likes of Missouri, a team we've out-recruited every year Heupel has been here?

If not, at what point are those realistic expectations? Year 4? 5? 7?
I never said you did.
I addressed your point then moved on to the things others were saying. Championships are the ultimate point and goal. Even Hypel says that’s the expectation.

I had Florida as a loss before the season began. I’d love to expect to beat them but I didn’t believe Milton could lead the team to it. I hoped for it but there’s a difference between what you hope for and what you think based on the evidence you’ve seen. To be fair I thought last year’s team was a 4-5 loss team too.
Mizzou is an outlier. They like Kentucky can have guys in the system for a few years and with the right QB and RB make a run. They will likely be a 5-6 loss team again next year. SoCar is a better example.

I tend to evaluate year to year. People get hurt, transfer in/out, ect. For example there’s a lot of uncertainty around almost 20 kids that could decide to come back next year. So I’m not sure what I expect from them. I do know that it’s likely that we never have a season under Hypel where we have to beat Vandy to make a bowl. And there will be more runs like last year under him. With everything I’ve seen in the last 25 years I’m willing to ride this out and see what happens.

Besides, with his contract and the buyout, our university isn’t getting rid of him any time soon. They would not have fired Cornbread if they had to pay the buyout.

Oh where to begin... I'll give our defense a pass. When we had a healthy secondary, they covered well enough and long enough for our pass rush to make quarterbacks very uncomfortable. As we saw last year, a middling secondary was our biggest Achilles heel on defense. That seemed to have been shored up a bit this season - to the point to where we actually began to become reputed as a defense that can get at a quarterback.
Our offense this season just puzzles me. On a fact-based level, I don't understand saying on one hand that you have confidence in a quarterback while consistently calling run plays in third and long situations. Yes, Joe has a cannon for an arm, but in many cases that only seems to have resulted in dents in the turf 50 yards downfield. Our schedule this year was PERFECT for bringing a freshman quarterback up-to-speed. Virginia and then Austin Peay. Joe Milton is not Hendon Hooker. He's not as decisive. He's not as accurate. He struggles to extend plays when flushed. Is Nico Iamaleava decisive, accurate, and able to extend plays? We don't know because we haven't had a chance to see him really play. But those traits in a quarterback are ESSENTIAL for a tempo offense. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not calling for anyone's head. I'm simply pointing out that every single time I've seen our offense grind to a halt, I wonder why our "cannon-armed" quarterback is called upon to continue handing the ball off or tossing 5 yard passes on third and long. The only answer I can come up with is that Heupel has no confidence that he can complete a pass when he needs to. And if that's true, is there anyone else that CAN complete that pass? Thank you for allowing me to vent my frustration...

Reactions: cgrish
Not really. I’m disappointed in how we lost. Particularly FL and MIZZ. Most people predicted 9-3 but didn’t expect MIZZ to be good so there is a 4th.

I think any of the previous 3 coaches would have needed Vandy to make a bowl with this same roster.

I don’t really expect next year to be particularly better with Nico. But the year after should be making a playoff run.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
No considering the shape the program was in when he took over including a depleted roster and scholarship limitations. I'm not satisfied but also not negatively surprised. Will not pass judgement until the end of the 2025 season.

I'll admit I'm a bit perplexed about the QB issue but there may be reasons for the way things have been handled that none of us know about.
Maybe. But we heard the same thing from other coaches when they fell in love with a QB and rode them to their own destruction and downfall.

VN Store

Back