Heupel Doubts or No?

Heupel will be a 7-5 to 9-3 coach here most years. That’s just the likely reality considering the recruiting landscape, the meat grinder schedule of playing in the SEC, and coaching in a conference with Saban and Smart. He may do well enough to get into a 12 team playoff every once in a while.

I think CJH is a good coach, and he is a huge upgrade over previous years - admittedly, that’s a very low bar. Do I think he is a “generational” coach like Saban, Smart, or Urban Meyer who will win multiple titles? No. Is UT likely to find such a unicorn? No way.
Historically we’re an 8-4 program so he fits who we are. Some years better, some years worse but average around 8-4.

No doubts with Heup. I've seen what he does and he is good at it. If we can build a solid roster of players watch out.

Reactions: minorvol
Historically we’re an 8-4 program so he fits who we are. Some years better, some years worse but average around 8-4.
And we would never want to worry about or expect to be above average, right?

You all are killing me.
Fire Heupel? No, of course not.
Expect and demand better? Of course.

The days of year zero and 5-7 year rebuilds are over.

Reactions: Chitlin&theDude
And we would never want to worry about or expect to be above average, right?

You all are killing me.
Fire Heupel? No, of course not.
Expect and demand better? Of course.

The days of year zero and 5-7 year rebuilds are over.

Way to miss the point...8-4 is our historical average not our ceiling, but people act as if it's unacceptable. Of course, it's not the year we wanted - we want 10+ win seasons every year but that just not reality. Hopefully Josh is building towards a higher level than our 8-4 average. Fulmer averaged 9-3 as a head coach over about 16 seasons and that included some really good years and few not so good. And he was 8-4 in his second year despite inheriting a much stronger roster than what Josh got.

So maybe we stick with Josh for at least a few more years and see if he can't get us on a run like some of our rivals have enjoyed? And it might take 5-7 years to get one of those runs with multiple 10-win seasons...Harbaugh lost 5 years in a row to OSU and plenty of Michigan fans were ready to show him the door...

We went through 6 coaches in 15 years, and some can't seem to understand how that is a big part of why we are where we are...if Heupel is averaging 8-4 after 3 more years then yea, we might look to move on. But let's get a little stability, get our probation period over with and then see if we can't get back to something close to where we were in the nineties.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Way to miss the point...8-4 is our historical average not our ceiling, but people act as if it's unacceptable. Of course, it's not the year we wanted - we want 10+ win seasons every year but that just not reality. Hopefully Josh is building towards a higher level than our 8-4 average. Fulmer averaged 9-3 as a head coach over about 16 seasons and that included some really good years and few not so good. And he was 8-4 in his second year despite inheriting a much stronger roster than what Josh got.

So maybe we stick with Josh for at least a few more years and see if he can't get us on a run like some of our rivals have enjoyed? And it might take 5-7 years to get one of those runs with multiple 10-win seasons...Harbaugh lost 5 years in a row to OSU and plenty of Michigan fans were ready to show him the door...

We went through 6 coaches in 15 years, and some can't seem to understand how that is a big part of why we are where we are...if Heupel is averaging 8-4 after 3 more years then yea, we might look to move on. But let's get a little stability, get our probation period over with and then see if we can't get back to something close to where we were in the nineties.
I am missing the point?
I specifically said "Fire Heupel? Of course not"

I certainly have doubts after this season. I'm not calling for his firing, but his unwillingness to make changes is very concerning IMO. Changes with the staff, changes in game plans, changes with players and playing time. We were outcoached in several games this year...especially when it came to halftime adjustments. Handcuffing Nico in the vandy game was a real headscratcher. It's hard to imagine that we would have likely never known how good Hooker is or the success of last season had Milton not gotten injured.

VN Store

Back