Flopping Rule (merged)

I don't know how you fix that. Unless it's blatant they could just do it at key moments. Tempo gets a defense out of position the answer is to flop..

10 plays if taken out. Cleared by SEC official, if you enter the tent Miss the remainder of the quarter, cleared by SEC official. Players safety first right.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
Player sits 4 plays minimum
No substitutes allowed other than the flopper
Teams can’t go to the boundary to talk to coaches

Penalty needs to be like ice hockey box.Injury stopping play should be a 5 min. box fine. View attachment 424906 and you have to share the box with 1st and 2nd cousins.

Speaking of. I am so sick of Bama being in the playoffs. I used to think that "God's team" was Notre Dame. However, the last 14 years clearly show that Bama is "God's" team. Hell, has anything bad happened to the team since Saban took the reigns. I didn't even watch their game today. Funny, last night watching the ESPN guys trying to convince us that Cincy had a chance. I knew that was ******** so I found it more interesting to watch the Andy Griffin show to watch Barney run for sheriff. I'm sick of college football. Would love to see UGA get kicked in the nuts tonight, and I hate Michigan.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
The hurry-up was our best offensive weapon this season. It certainly leveled the playing field and kept us in games we had no business being in, or even winning.
I hate the flops... but I respect them... because until a rule is changed, that's the same dang thang I'd do against it.
Up until recently we had a name I won't write here for players who did this, and coaches who encouraged it. Football is supposed to be a full contact Man's sport unless you are playing Flag, Touch, or Powder Puff. I don't see good football teams doing it, and never on Sundays.

It is more than obvious that teams have learned to flop just to slow down tempo against teams who use the speed of play as a weapon. This is essentially an unofficial time out, and it alters the flow of the game and spirit of sportsmanship. I appreciate that some are honest injuries and for safety sake should be done, but if safety is the honest basis, let them sit out the drive. That should be the new rule. This pattern is too obvious from kiffin’s bs to last night with one player pulling that 4 times, this crap needs to be stopped.

In the interest of player safety and potential brain damage, etc., the injured player should have to sit out for a full quarter. Hopefully no one will consider this a great option, but the counter to this is put in a scrub for one play to take the injury which would hurt your defensive capability. More than 2 "injuries" per half gets a 15 yard penalty. Keep 'em hydrated if it is the cramps.

Hurt, cramped, sick to the tummy? Take a break in timeout! A full 15 minutes sitting out. If they are legitimately hurt, but no too seriously, they can scoot their butt off to the sideline ASAP. No time to substitute? Well, scoot faster!

[Super simple. I call it the Saban Concern Rule.]

Good link. The article with Saban claiming uptempo offenses increase the risk of injury (and should be penalized - for the children) is flat out wrong. The real truth is that uptempo offenses are difficult for coaches (including Saban) to defend, so they want to slow them down any way they can.

Saban's BS premise is that fast-paced offenses play more snaps per game which results in more opportunities for injuries. But stats show that is wrong. In 2021, UT ran 953 plays this year compared to 1010 plays for UT's opponents. As we saw in the Kentucky game, UT scores fast using fewer plays. This is probably true for other fast teams.

2021 Football Cumulative Statistics - University of Tennessee Athletics[/QUOTE]

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
This goes under the be very careful what you ask for heading.

Allow me, If and thats a BIG IF, the NCAA rules committee does modify the rules on flopping, faking, as some have suggested these things COULD occur

1. Player is ineligable for next 3 plays, or as some have said till end of possession.
Bad part, lets say what if your QB gets the wind knocked out of him on the final drive of the game or half?
in 30 seconds he is good but he cant return,,, Again im just thinking this out loud,

2. A real good chance the committee hears both sides of the argument and says there will be a 12 second wait between downs except with 2 minutes left in half or game. Dont think for a second MANY schools wont push for this if they are going to ban flopping. ( If that occurred, the hurry up offense will lose its teeth.

Remember this is NCAA, and a committee.

Ever seen a Camel? Thats a Horse that was designed by a committee

Should have to sit out the rest of the series. The deal is going to be if someone is really hurt or not. How do you determine that, unless it's like it was last night, blatant.

Should have to sit out the rest of the series. The deal is going to be if someone is really hurt or not. How do you determine that, unless it's like it was last night, blatant.

OK. but I think there will be some give and take, look for those opposed to sitting out for a series will push for a time minimum between downs.

If the game has to stop because you are injured or “injured” you should be required to undergo a mandatory 15 minute evaluation by a doctor in the tent or locker room. If you can make it off the field under your own power without any game stoppage then you can come back in whenever you want.

The 2 exceptions should be injury resulting from a penalty committed by the other team (roughing the passer, targeting, etc.) or if you use a time out to cover the stop in play.

No other substititions should be allowed unless the other team substitutes. Team with injured player should not he able to talk with coaches during the stop in play.

Hear all the time....'our players health is first and foremost.'....Bullcrap....A player goes down as he's looking to the sideline.....They bring out the trainers....team doctors.....Priest to deliver the last rites....Then they tote him off the field like he's been shot only to have him take off 1 play and then back in the game while the coaches sub fresh D linemen in the game..

Yeah right....'our players health is first and foremost.'............IMO make them stay out 5-10 minutes of the game clock.....Remember 'our players health is first and foremost.' so spend that time checking on their health.

This will continue....and if legal it is smart to do it.....Not many teams go warp speed like Heupel....I will be shocked if it's even addressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolPack22
Hear all the time....'our players health is first and foremost.'....Bullcrap....A player goes down as he's looking to the sideline.....They bring out the trainers....team doctors.....Priest to deliver the last rites....Then they tote him off the field like he's been shot only to have him take off 1 play and then back in the game while the coaches sub fresh D linemen in the game..

Yeah right....'our players health is first and foremost.'............IMO make them stay out 5-10 minutes of the game clock.

This will continue....and if legal it is smart to do it.....Not many teams go warp speed like Heupel....I will be shocked if it's even addressed.
The best ones are when they are running towards the sideline to get off the field and they get shot by a sniper. You would think they deserve a Purple Heart for getting wounded in the war. Then they are magically healed by the trainers and walk off the field without a limp.

The 2 exceptions should be injury resulting from a penalty committed by the other team (roughing the passer, targeting, etc.) or if you use a time out to cover the stop in play.

No other substititions should be allowed unless the other team substitutes. Team with injured player should not he able to talk with coaches during the stop in play.
They could also institute a substitution limit like soccer uses. Each quarter you can sub a certain amount of times and once you are past that you have to call timeout to sub past the limit.

Reactions: sss1915
Any player going down with an injury must sit out a minimum of 15 plays to be fully evaluated and given time to recover. That would put an end to it.

Some of these folks suggestions are more complicated than the NCAA. For goodness sakes, if you go down you are out for the rest of the series. End of problem, period. But when does the NCAA ever do something simple and easy.GBO

I think this is a better option than most, but I think it could be nuanced a bit. For instance, I think we have much less of a problem on offense. So, I could see giving an offensive series more leeway. If the QB, for instance, is sacked, I could see letting him come back in after sitting out a play. For other offensive players, they could sit out until a first down/field goal/touchdown/turnover.

On defense, I could see using the same scenario working on the first injury per player (first down/field goal/touchdown/turnover). Then, if the player is injured again, keep him out the rest of the series.

If a player gets hurt more than 3 times, he could be kept out for a longer time: rest of half/game/season. If a team has more than x number of injuries in a half or game, they could be charged a timeout. Otherwise, teams could use a 6th string player, just for "injury" purposes, with no fear of them being ruled ineligible.

I agree though, no need to make it overly complicated.

I agree, but nobody is ever gonna sit someone an entire game. And if they did, a coach would just pick a designated flopper and not care anyways

Just make it to where the defense can’t substitute other than the hurt player and the players remaining on the field cannot come to the sideline to receive coaching.

The above is a good start. No matter the rule, coaches will try to get around it. And there are ways to make it harder to get around. I remember not that many years ago when players had to line up single file on the field and check into the game with the ref who had pencil and paper in hand back in the days of platoon football! (It really wasn't that long ago!) Even today the baseball line-ups have to be given before the games. So, think about each team presenting their two deep line-up before the game. If one of the two deep goes down and causes stoppage, that player will sit the rest of that series. Now a "Kiffin" kind of coach will have a "sacrificial lamb" who is not listed in the two deep on the field most of the time to flop as directed. This "sacrificial lamb" will not have to sit out the series, he will have to sit out the rest of the game!

So, flop and sit out the series, or if not listed in the two deep rotation, sit out rest of the game!

4 is way too many. I say 1 per half then a team uses their time outs. If a player is truly injured, many times they can still get themselves off the field without stopping play.
All that ☝️Plus have the sit out the series. If the same player does the flop more than once, sit out entire half.
All about player safety right?

Reactions: usagary
I expect there will be a rule change this off-season. BUT, if we’re still dealing with this chit next year, I completely support taking the flopping to the extreme and ruining a game.

If we could get UGA or bama on prime-time ESPN and make the game last 6+ hours that might do the trick. Line up, flop, line up again, flop again, etc. Fug it, make the 1st quarter last 6 hours. Make the first play last 6 hours. Just flop around all night until the rule is changed then and there.

Reactions: TitanicVolz

VN Store

Back