Flopping Rule (merged)

SobeVol

It is more than obvious that teams have learned to flop just to slow down tempo against teams who use the speed of play as a weapon. This is essentially an unofficial time out, and it alters the flow of the game and spirit of sportsmanship. I appreciate that some are honest injuries and for safety sake should be done, but if safety is the honest basis, let them sit out the drive. That should be the new rule. This pattern is too obvious from kiffin’s bs to last night with one player pulling that 4 times, this crap needs to be stopped.

It is more than obvious that teams have learned to flop just to slow down tempo against teams who use the speed of play as a weapon. This is essentially an unofficial time out, and it alters the flow of the game and spirit of sportsmanship. I appreciate that some are honest injuries and for safety sake should be done, but if safety is the honest basis, let them sit out the drive. That should be the new rule. This pattern is too obvious from kiffin’s bs to last night with one player pulling that 4 times, this crap needs to be stopped.
NCAA is trash! Need to break away and form an alliance!

How about give the teams 4 injury timeouts. when a player gets injured you call a timeout once you go past 4 then you have to use you 3 regular timeouts per half. Once you get to 7 "injuries" in the second half then it is a penalty of 10 yards for a player "injury"

How about give the teams 4 injury timeouts. when a player gets injured you call a timeout once you go past 4 then you have to use you 3 regular timeouts per half. Once you get to 7 "injuries" in the second half then it is a penalty of 10 yards for a player "injury"
4 is way too many. I say 1 per half then a team uses their time outs. If a player is truly injured, many times they can still get themselves off the field without stopping play.

No reason to over complicate this. Make it simple, you go down and cause a stoppage in play, you are out for the series. I don't want some complicated 5 bullet rule that has to be mansplained by the announcers 5 times a game for eternity.

The other thing that should happen is that the teams should not be allowed to 'huddle' with the coaches. They should go to a neutral corner (maybe their side of the 50 on the logo?) as it were and stay away from the sidelines. It's being used as a free timeout to work on strategy as well as slowing down up tempo offenses. If they DO go to the sidelines, they should get charged a TO.

FIRST POST... "TAKE IT EASY ON ME" to quote LRB…..

First, this is now a strategic part of the game not only on defense. Flopping is also occurring on offense to stop the clock so a play can be called but it is usually used on defense.

Next, we need to mention that an injury timeout in the last 2-5 minutes of the half is worse at killing momentum and allowing a team free timeouts than it is during the rest of the game.

With that said here is my proposal:
  • Each team gets (x) INJURY Timeouts. When a player goes down and the ref blows the whistle each coach is given a choice. Remove his player from the game for the rest of the half, take an injury timeout, take a team timeout or take a 15 year unsportsmanlike conduct that is charged against that player. Two of those and he is gone for game.
  • After a team has exhausted their injury timeouts, the coach is given a choice. Remove his player from the game for the rest of the half, take a team timeout or take a 15 year unsportsmanlike conduct that is charged against that player. Two of those and he is gone for game.
  • After a team has exhausted their injury and team timeouts. The player is removed from the game and a 15 year unsportsmanlike conduct is charged against the bench. Two of those and the coach is gone for game.
  • If an injury occurs in the last two minutes of the first or second half and the team has used all of its injury timeouts, the coach is accessed an automatic 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct on the bench and the player is disqualified for the rest of the half.
It must be more than just (x) number of injury timeouts or disqualifying players because PWO(s) will be used to not use timeouts. If we are going to fix the Strategic injury rule(lack of), we must put some real strategy into the change not just a simple x number of injury timeouts.

Oh, yea and you only get (x) number of injury timeouts regardless of whether it is offense or defense. The exception is if the injury is a result of an unsportsmanlike conduct on the other team than you do not have to use your injury/team timeouts.

We can debate what (x) should be but I say 3-4 to make the decisions by the coach really strategic.

Just my suggested changes.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
And its clear what they are doing they are looking at the sideline for the signal to take a knee and say you are hurt . ITS FREAKING RIDICULOUS . I wouldnt do it as a player or a coach its cheating and lying and makes you look weak . IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
"Flopping" should be addressed in a manner in which a true injury isn't panelized. I'm not sure this is as easy of a fix that some think it is. You sure can't leave it to the discretion of refs, especially when TN fans chant "refs suck" after every other call....today is just a sad day all the way around. GBO!!!

Reactions: StarRaider
And its clear what they are doing they are looking at the sideline for the signal to take a knee and say you are hurt . ITS FREAKING RIDICULOUS . I wouldnt do it as a player or a coach its cheating and lying and makes you look week . IMO
On the play where the catch was overturned the Purdue player walked all the way to the new line of scrimmage and looked at sidelines before taking a knee....

Reactions: mpfvol

This is a relatively easy change to implement to see if it helps. Something needs to be done because flopping has gotten out of control.

Rogers hit on it last night, if a player goes down, they should be ineligible for the remainder of the series unless the team elects to burn a TO, not a perfect solution but won’t affect legit injuries and raises the cost of flopping.
To me, that makes complete sense and would be easy to implement. Common sense tells you that no medical evaluation would ever resolve itself within just a play or two.

On the play where the catch was overturned the Purdue player walked all the way to the new line of scrimmage and looked at sidelines before taking a knee....
I don’t think a rule change is even needed in this situation. Ref needs to just grow a pair and flag the flopper for unsportsmanlike conduct.

In fact, when it’s that egregious, flag the coaching staff too. If they do it twice, eject the head coach.

Reactions: Alto1
Flopping? Outright treachery, disrespect for the game, deceit, lying & worse. Muffin & now Brohm. Zebras keep allowing it as NCAA refuses to address this travesty. :mad:
There is a high school rule that if someone is using a rule against its intentions the head coach is given a 15 yard penalty then is kicked out if it happens again. Can’t believe college wouldn’t have that rule.

VN Store

Back