Fake Injuries: Solution

These injuries can't be evaluated in real time. Some are impossible to verify. Example: I tell you I have a headache when I don't. How do you verify it? Substitute injury of choice with word headache.. Cramp, ankle sprain, stinger, etc.
A doctor can tell if a moveable limb has something wrong with it. Not the same as dealing with a headache.

Why should it be applied to offensive players at all? What benefit is there from an offensive player taking a dive?
The only situation I can think of is trying to save timeouts. Can’t really think of anything else.

I think you need to sit the player for at least the entire series on D. They can't sub back in during that drive.
Easy to get around, start a freshman for a series let them fake an injury and get your regular guy in there...They will just rotate them in and out the whole game and still keep your starters fresh.

I think the solution is a bit Draconian in that it would unfairly penalized legitimate injuries. For example, if a kid gets a cramp - which is actually very common during hot games - I think it would be unfair for that player to have to sit out the entire series.

Why unfair? Might help with pregame hydration. In fact due to the tendencies for repeats of that issue, we might need a cramp protocol developed. For sure a second injury timeout for a player should be a game ender.

Possible pieces to consider mixing and matching. Something easy to administer.

First one each quarter is free.

One for one sub only during any stoppage. Team with injury must remain in huddle between the numbers

Second and > each quarter is 5 minutes for each player, Ref can put a sticker on the helmet on the field with return time. Tape is cheap. Can only reenter at a dead ball when a ref can be approached and remove the sticker.

Second in a game for a player take his helmet, done.

2nd and beyond in a series is a team time out on top.
When a TO is called for but not available, the other team gets choice of 5 yard penalty or a TO added back to them.

On any down but first, an automatic first down. Just move the chains and flip the marker.

I bet a lot of those guys with cramps and stingers would hop off rather than lay down.

Anything you do runs the risk of hurting honest injury occurrences, but it is what it is.

and it is totally a problem for the defense. The offence controls the pace and the only way under present rules, to slow it down, is to flop! Many times an injured play can make his way to the sideline without play stoppage, and when this happens, there is no consequence. The new rule must target the flopping and it must be done in this off season! Coaches have noticed the effectiveness of this fast tempo offence and it will be a much bigger problem next year!

Hyams had a nice piece on this issue, and here's the solution which seems fair to all:

(1) Any "injured" player must sit out until the next 1st down; and

(2) No other substitutions on defense (other than the "injured" player) are allowed.

What say ye?

No, I have stated my feelings several times in other threads. If a player drops on the field and just lays, kneels down, etc. then he is out for the REMAINDER of the series.

Easy to get around, start a freshman for a series let them fake an injury and get your regular guy in there...They will just rotate them in and out the whole game and still keep your starters fresh.
There’s a separate issue with scholarships and players on the active roster that needs to be looked at as well. NCAA needs to implement an active roster limit like the NFL. Literally no reason to have 105 players on your roster. You can cap it at 85 if you want but only 60 can be active for the game.

I would be ok with a defensive player having to sit out a series. Not sure about an offensive player though having to sit out (especially a QB or WR).
Tough shat! Just more playing time for other than starters. I also think it would lessen the effect of a lot of injuries where "going back in" after 1-2 plays can just aggravate a minor situation.

What happens if with a 1:28 left in game and your team is down by 6 points and the QB gets the breath knocked out of him at your own 20 yard line? Then he has to sit the rest of the game? How does the rule help there?
it would be on the defensive side only....they have rules for offensive side for injuries and timeouts depending on how much game time is left.

Any player that goes down like they have been hit by a sniper should be a 5 yard pe nalty. I just dont know how it would be enforceable. It has made games too dang long as it is. This year felt like the most TV timeouts ever...ugh. I hate that they allow the team to huddle with the coaches, I dont know what, but something has to be done

Any player that goes down like they have been hit by a sniper should be a 5 yard penalty. UM, I would call that Unsportsmanlike. 15 YDS!

Reactions: GAVol
There’s a separate issue with scholarships and players on the active roster that needs to be looked at as well. NCAA needs to implement an active roster limit like the NFL. Literally no reason to have 105 players on your roster. You can cap it at 85 if you want but only 60 can be active for the game.
No. The scout team guys deserve to dress for games on Saturdays in college, IMHO.

Hyams had a nice piece on this issue, and here's the solution which seems fair to all:

(2) No other substitutions on defense (other than the "injured" player) are allowed.

What say ye?
I agree with that and I also think the team should be penalized if the player lines up at the LOS and then goes down. It will allow the refs to review all the elements.

What say ye?
Keep players in the middle of the field. Keep coaches on the sideline. That will eliminate a bulk of it.

What say ye?
Idk what the solution is but allowing teams to basically use it as a free time out is absolute BS. Idk that there is a perfect solution but they can absolutely stop some of the BS.

Imo injuries on the field absolutely should be cleared by medical staff and that absolutely is going to take a play or two to do. It’s like when a players helmet comes off they have to take them out to evaluate them. Also absolutely agree with the no substitutions other than the injuries player but that might punish teams that actually have a real injury from subbing.

Somewhere in there it should cost the offending team a timeout. JMHO

Go VOLS
I've said for some time that after a set no. of allowable injury stoppages per half, say one or two, each additional one costs the offending team a time out each occurrence. If after a team has used all 3 timeouts, a 15 yard Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty will be charged against the offending player on each future occurrence.

Reactions: Ratvol

What say ye?
If they fake a injury then they should sit out rest of that drive.

Back to the KISS method. Player goes down the nearest ref offers him a kick in the balls, if he's too hurt to get up and not be kicked it's legit.

I agree with the third time. If a player goes down three times, he must be legitimately injured and doesn’t need to be out there anyway.
Those will never work. What about the 1st games of the year when it’s still hot and players are dealing with cramps? Are you going to sit a player out the rest of the game for it.
Some even get IVs at halftime.

Sitting out the rest of the possession is sufficient.

No. The scout team guys deserve to dress for games on Saturdays in college, IMHO.
Decrease the scholarship limit to 60 and allow 25 scout team players that can fill in due to inactives. It will spread out the talent pool and all of college football would benefit from it.

VN Store

Back