Fake Injuries: Solution

my opinion is, this will not get addressed anytime soon.. be years of argument from coaches for and against. Just don't think anything happens and readily recognize I could be wrong.

According to Doug Mathews who has a great contact in Todd Berry director of the coaches association, it will be addressed this year. Who knows what they come up with. My experience is if the NFL hasn't addressed it, college football isn't smart enough to address it properly. See 2010 MCB as example. Under NFL rules then, The game ended when NC had too many players on the field. College football still had their thumbs up their a$$.

Kinda like the penalty box in hockey. Injury box.
This is a good idea. Put them in the box where they get assessed by a *neutral* doctor. Make it a 5 min real world clock. If they get another injury make them sit out for a series unless a TO is called.

I have not seen these suggestions yet;
Get rid of 40 and 25 seconds snap clocks and go 32 seconds for ALL snaps.
Offense AND Defense have 10 seconds to sub (neither can sub with 22 seconds left on the play clock) (you got what you got!) (This would also allow for consistency for replay reviews)
Go to 4 timeouts per half (absorbing one of the TV uncharged timeouts per half)
Second game stopping injury (per half) requires loss of timeout. If no timeouts left, 5 yard penalty, automatic first down.

Just make them sit for 7 consecutive plays from scrimmage or 4 or 5 minutes of game clock.

CFB is now hockey?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the NCAA isn't changing rules because Tennessee runs a fast-pace offense.

Muscle cramps are here to stay.

CFB is now hockey?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the NCAA isn't changing rules because Tennessee runs a fast-pace offense.

Muscle cramps are here to stay.
I think there's a good chance the rule changes. It effects more teams than just UT though maybe not as much or as often. Maybe an even worse use of it is to stop a game on a late drive so the defense can huddle up and re-strategize.

my opinion is, this will not get addressed anytime soon.. be years of argument from coaches for and against. Just don't think anything happens and readily recognize I could be wrong.
Agree. The NCAA is going to punt on this issue given what they’re dealing with now.

To stop the practice without rules, all UT needs to do is dedicate an analyst to ID players who go down with an injury. When the sub is brought in, the play caller is informed and we exploit the less talented/experienced sub. Subs who are brought in to fake an injury at the conclusion of the next play, are also identified and exploited.
I like the idea of identifying the players. Put their pictures up on the Jumbotron. Replay their fake injury. Encourage ridicule and mustard throwing.

I think there's a good chance the rule changes. It effects more teams than just UT though maybe not as much or as often. Maybe an even worse use of it is to stop a game on a late drive so the defense can huddle up and re-strategize.

I agree 100% but these "accusations" of fake injuries have been happening for years.

Saban will have to be burned before the NCAA will even consider making it happen!!! ;)

A simple fix, or at least a start IMO, is with every injury the coach has 2 options: use a timeout or sit the player until the next 1st down.

Hyams had a nice piece on this issue, and here's the solution which seems fair to all:

(1) Any "injured" player must sit out until the next 1st down; and

(2) No other substitutions on defense (other than the "injured" player) are allowed.

What say ye?
The object is to keep defenses from letting the opposing offense execute quickly so the rule should only apply to defensive players. Offensive players have no reason to "flop".
The "injured" player must sit out until the next possession whether that's one play or 15 plays.

Last edited:
Wait a minute. Players who are gassed tap out without faking an injury.

that is not possible with the hurry up offenses. There is not time for them to get off the field which is why you have players falling out faking injuries

Reactions: McDad
According to Doug Mathews who has a great contact in Todd Berry director of the coaches association, it will be addressed this year. Who knows what they come up with. My experience is if the NFL hasn't addressed it, college football isn't smart enough to address it properly. See 2010 MCB as example. Under NFL rules then, The game ended when NC had too many players on the field. College football still had their thumbs up their a$$.

I was thinking earlier that coaches are the one's that end up proposing these type rule changes to the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't just come up with them. Why I think you're looking at something that could take years to resolve. Defensive coaches will have to get something in return for eliminating the "fake" injuries. What will that look like? I don't know but you can bet it will be something. Likely, slow down the fast paced offenses.

I was thinking earlier that coaches are the one's that end up proposing these type rule changes to the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't just come up with them. Why I think you're looking at something that could take years to resolve. Defensive coaches will have to get something in return for eliminating the "fake" injuries. What will that look like? I don't know but you can bet it will be something. Likely, slow down the fast paced offenses.
Like making a fast break in basketball illegal or stealing a base illegal?

Reactions: JarFly and wmcovol
Media should start issuing flopping awards for both individuals and teams.

Last edited:

How do you do that? So you are going to eliminate the fast paced offense in the last 30 secs of a game? Who says defensive coaches get something? They haven’t in years. No one wants to see a 10-7 game. The reason Tennessee,ole Miss, OU are so popular is the offense. That sells. The TV networks want offense & schools are addicted to TV money

No. Why can't it just be simple? Cause an injury timeout and you're out until the next change of possession.
Before reading your suggestion, I was in favor of the a defensive player staying on the sidelines for the next 10 plays by the injured player's defensive unit. I don't think football has a problem with offensive players faking injury.

But, I think I like your idea better. Give each team a certain number of timeouts for injured defensive players (2 per game???). Then you must burn regular timeouts. After all those are exhausted, you get penalized. This would end fake injuries, and cause players with minor injuries to hobble off the field.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
A simple fix, or at least a start IMO, is with every injury the coach has 2 options: use a timeout or sit the player until the next 1st down.

This. Sit out a few plays or use a time out to get the player back on the field. I'd add that there is no subbing for anyone except the injured player during a stoppage. Also teams can't huddle with coaches during the injury stoppage. Finally, no replay can be triggered during an injury time out. You want a replay, throw a challenge flag and risk a time out.

Reactions: peerless98
I am conflicted on this issue. I like some of the suggested remedies but whatever is used cannot be complex and too variable with administrative problems.

Just to the end of the series might be one play, not enough though an easy minimum. May have to include something like 2nd and beyond occurrences on the same drive require a team time out. If you only tie it to individual players they can sub in designated floppers.

Hyams had a nice piece on this issue, and here's the solution which seems fair to all:

(1) Any "injured" player must sit out until the next 1st down; and

(2) No other substitutions on defense (other than the "injured" player) are allowed.

What say ye?
Stupid. Sit out until next first down isn’t a punishment. I say tn does it to allow defensive players to rest. Therefore we don’t have to worry about burning them in the first half. Boom 6 hour game.

I think they need to appoint a neutral doctor to games as well as the teams medical staff. That way he/she can evaluate injuries and we can have a more comprehensive concussion protocol in place.

What we have now is the wild west. Players taking knees on the field to prevent an opponent from going up tempo, free time outs, etc. It detracts from the game and it's been at an all time high this season. Something needs to be done.

These injuries can't be evaluated in real time. Some are impossible to verify. Example: I tell you I have a headache when I don't. How do you verify it? Substitute injury of choice with word headache.. Cramp, ankle sprain, stinger, etc.

VN Store

Back