Fake Injuries: Solution

You're probably right. I do think that for the integrity of the game, they have to get rid of the fake injuries where suddenly a guy goes down like he's been shot. Too many cameras to allow that to keep happening. At least make the defense work at it lol.

the other issue with a rule is, players get tired which can lead to more injuries. So there will definitely be an argument that by forcing players to continue to play that can't get out of the game otherwise, risks serious injury.

not an easy solution.

The only possible solution to me is making it another judgement rule for the officials. they have to determine if a player is faking or really injured. and we all know what happens when officials have to make judgement calls. pissed off fans and coaches,

I think you need to sit the player for at least the entire series on D. They can't sub back in during that drive.
Only thing about this is, this: Lets say you have two D tackles on a team that are close in playing ability - one would be a natural relief guy to get the starter a break. This would become the "designated flopper". X comes in for Y - the series ends and Y is back in the game for the next series. The result of the flop gets an A+ on the success scale.

the other issue with a rule is, players get tired which can lead to more injuries. So there will definitely be an argument that by forcing players to continue to play that can't get out of the game otherwise, risks serious injury.

not an easy solution.

The only possible solution to me is making it another judgement rule for the officials. they have to determine if a player is faking or really injured. and we all know what happens when officials have to make judgement calls. pissed off fans and coaches,
This hasn't ended well for us.

1641247889598.png

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Only thing about this is, this: Lets say you have two D tackles on a team that are close in playing ability - one would be a natural relief guy to get the starter a break. This would become the "designated flopper". X comes in for Y - the series ends and Y is back in the game for the next series. The result of the flop gets an A+ on the success scale.

My prediction is the way the address this is , slow down the rush, rush offenses. They will come up with a rule where the defense can sub in players for tired players under the theory it is to reduce possible injuries. There are not that many rush, rush offenses out there (but we have one of them) and this would have the least impact on coaches over all. Just a prediction and likely not accurate.

Only sub for the injured player and he has to sit out the rest of that series.

1) Teams are not allowed to confer with coaches ending the free timeout.
2) the player has to sit out until the next change of possession.
3) worth a second "injury" that player is done for the rest of the game.
I will think of some other reasons later
Don’t love number 3, as sometimes stuff happens but you’re good to go in a few series..
but I think 1&2 are the answer.
sit out the whole series (for player safety) of course

Another solution is to make a rule that - except for the last 2 minutes - automatically hold the snap until the playclock gets to :25. Actually mandate a few seconds for the defense to react.
That would negate our entire offensive philosophy.

What happens if with a 1:28 left in game and your team is down by 6 points and the QB gets the breath knocked out of him at your own 20 yard line? Then he has to sit the rest of the game? How does the rule help there?
Use a timeout to allow for the player to remain in the game. If your team is out of timeouts then they are SOL

Reactions: McDad and hog88
Hyams had a nice piece on this issue, and here's the solution which is fair to all:

(1) Any "injured" player must sit out until the next 1st down; and

(2) No other substitutions on defense (other than the "injured" player) are allowed.

What say ye?

I submit cheaters like Kiffin would send in 2nd and 3rd stringers to flop. What an @$$clown he is. Do glad he lost to Baylor

not an easy solution.

Make them use their timeouts. They get 3 per half for a reason. It’s ridiculous to watch Purdue players tapping their helmets while looking at the sideline only to have the coaches tell them to go down to a knee to stop play.

Usually, an offensive player isn't gonna fake an injury and slow the momentum. It's pretty much a defensive tactic to slow the offense down. The offense isn't going to run more than 2-3 plays without substituting, these guys get tired too. To stop the flop, if a defensive player fakes an injury, give them the benefit of the doubt the first time. If it happens again to the same player, they have to sit out a set number of offensive plays, regardless if it's the same possession or not. If, in the officials determination the coach is using the flop as a tactic to change personnel or plan strategy, make it a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty, an automatic first down, and lose of a timeout. The coach can only substitute for the "injured" player and the rest of the team has to go to the far end of the field away from the coaching staff. Any rule to stop all the flopping has to have some teeth to make it work.

What happens if with a 1:28 left in game and your team is down by 6 points and the QB gets the breath knocked out of him at your own 20 yard line? Then he has to sit the rest of the game? How does the rule help there?

Sucks to be us if that happens. Take a time out.

Reactions: Yanks24
Why should it be applied to offensive players at all? What benefit is there from an offensive player taking a dive?

Wait a minute. Players who are gassed tap out without faking an injury.

But we are holding the defense during that time.
I get it. Just trying to think of things to give the defense so they won’t stop the clock. I’m not sure 15 seconds is necessarily enough to change the strategy.

Hyams had a nice piece on this issue, and here's the solution which is fair to all:

(2) No other substitutions on defense (other than the "injured" player) are allowed.

What say ye?
So basically prior to every third down there will be a few players who get injured

To stop the practice without rules, all UT needs to do is dedicate an analyst to ID players who go down with an injury. When the sub is brought in, the play caller is informed and we exploit the less talented/experienced sub. Subs who are brought in to fake an injury at the conclusion of the next play, are also identified and exploited.

I think they need to appoint a neutral doctor to games as well as the teams medical staff. That way he/she can evaluate injuries and we can have a more comprehensive concussion protocol in place.

What we have now is the wild west. Players taking knees on the field to prevent an opponent from going up tempo, free time outs, etc. It detracts from the game and it's been at an all time high this season. Something needs to be done.

What say ye?

Nothing there that prevents a coach instructing a player about ready to be taken out anyway from going down. Coaches just tell a DT "on 3rd down you go down. We're putting a extra DB in probably anyway". They can do this every 3rd down which is what Purdue did in 2nd half.

I do like no other substitutes. I don't think players with a player down should go to the sideline for instruction. They should take a knee away from the injured player and away from sidelines. Coaches are stealing all the TOS they need using injured players.

I still like 2 or 3 injury timeouts per half. If a team uses all of them, then they can elect to use a game TO or take a 5 yd delay of game penalty. Coaches will save the injury TOs cause they ain't losing game TOs nor take a delay penalty.

I don't think there will ever be a "multiple offenses" type of system, where the player is progressively punished for subsequent "injuries". The NCAA is never going to incentivize a player to hide an injury.

Imagine this scenario:

Player fakes 2 injuries during the game. Player has a 3rd, this time legitimate, injury issue but refuses to go down for injury because of some "3 strikes and youre out" type of rule. This injury, which was left untreated for some length of time because of the player's decision as impacted by the rule, causes permanent damage.

Me, you, and the fencepost over there may be perfectly fine saying what will be will be.... it was the player's choice after all. But I dont think the NCAA or other governing bodies would be ok with it. There would be so much backlash from such a rule, even possibly legal liability cases.... again, regardless of what we think, and whether we care about the aftermath, the NCAA would, imo.

A simple "out for the remainder of the drive" rule would be sufficient, I would think.

VN Store

Back