Fake Injuries: Solution

MontyPython

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
Hyams had a nice piece on this issue, and here's the solution which seems fair to all:

(1) Any "injured" player must sit out until the next 1st down; and

(2) No other substitutions on defense (other than the "injured" player) are allowed.

What say ye?

Last edited:
1) Teams are not allowed to confer with coaches ending the free timeout.
2) the player has to sit out until the next change of possession.
3) worth a second "injury" that player is done for the rest of the game.
I will think of some other reasons later

The first offense for a defensive player - The player must sit out the remainder of the team's possession and the entire next possession.

The second offense for a defensive player - The player must sit out the remainder of the team's possession and the entire next 2 possessions

The third time - Player is done for the day

If an injury timeout is called, only the player that is hurt can be replaced. If the offensive team makes a substitution, then the defense is allowed to make substitutions.

Hyams had a nice piece on this issue, and here's the solution which is fair to all:

(2) No other substitutions on defense (other than the "injured" player) are allowed.

What say ye?

No. Why can't it just be simple? Cause an injury timeout and you're out until the next change of possession.

Until the next first down is too variable. After first down? You maaaaay be out three plays, probably two or less. And there’s basically no disincentive at all for a defensive player to not flop on 4th and short when the offense is running up to the line.

Hyams had a nice piece on this issue, and here's the solution which is fair to all:

What say ye?

Injured player sits the whole series. In the name of Player Safety....only way to stop it.

The first offense for a defensive player - The player must sit out the remainder of the team's possession and the entire next possession.

The second offense for a defensive player - The player must sit out the remainder of the team's possession and the entire next 2 possessions

The third time - Player is done for the day
I agree with the third time. If a player goes down three times, he must be legitimately injured and doesn’t need to be out there anyway.

Injured player sits the whole series. In the name of Player Safety....only way to stop it.
I agree. Create a medical section on the bench and don't even let the player even leave the area until the current possession is over. Logically, if a player is injured, there needs to be sufficient time to evaluate the player's condition.

Any player that goes down like they have been hit by a sniper should be a 5 yard penalty. I just dont know how it would be enforceable. It has made games too dang long as it is. This year felt like the most TV timeouts ever...ugh. I hate that they allow the team to huddle with the coaches, I dont know what, but something has to be done

I'm sure there are folks who are paid to figure out how to abuse rules/cheat without getting caught. I am ok with games taking longer and being less likely to fit into a three hour prime time window. Given that, balance a real injury with an attempt to use the situation to slow down or alter the game flow. If a player is injured...that should be a yes or no within a few seconds, he is required to sit out for that series without replacement. Injured player can get treatment but, no replacement. If the player is injured by a player for the other team, targeting for example, both players go out and not replaced. Maybe give a certain amount of injury flops and then start taking time outs. Whatever, the flopping has to stop.

Reactions: jonnon111
It's simple. you dont do anything for a first 'offense'. I use that word because players legitimately go down sometimes. the second time it happens, for the players safety and to limit it as a strategy, the player sits out the rest of that possession. neither players nor coaches are going to do that often and lose a player for the rest of the drive.

Either of those would be better than what we have now. I think if a player leaves the game for an injury then the player cannot return for the remainder of the series.

What happens if with a 1:28 left in game and your team is down by 6 points and the QB gets the breath knocked out of him at your own 20 yard line? Then he has to sit the rest of the game? How does the rule help there?

Another solution is to make a rule that - except for the last 2 minutes - automatically hold the snap until the playclock gets to :25. Actually mandate a few seconds for the defense to react.

Reactions: IndianaVol
What happens if with a 1:28 left in game and your team is down by 6 points and the QB gets the breath knocked out of him at your own 20 yard line? Then he has to sit the rest of the game? How does the rule help there?
I think they could make it a Defense only rule. The only time they'd need to do something to the offense is if a team is out of timeouts and trying to kill the clock with a fake injury.

I think they could make it a Defense only rule. The only time they'd need to do something to the offense is if a team is out of timeouts and trying to kill the clock with a fake injury.

my opinion is, this will not get addressed anytime soon.. be years of argument from coaches for and against. Just don't think anything happens and readily recognize I could be wrong.

I almost wouldn’t hate seeing some big changes to the whole format of the game, and wrap “injuries” into that. Like take a page out of basketball’s book and instead of four fifteen minute quarters, have four thirty minute quarters and the clock doesn’t ever stop unless for a timeout. Have media timeouts at 20 and 10 minutes of each quarter. Anyone who’s injured and has to come off, is out until the next stoppage of play, whether that’s in 8 minutes at the next TV timeout or if coach calls a timeout on the next play because he really wants his QB in now that he shook off his stinger. And you get games that are over in roughly three hours again, too.

Reactions: JK Vol
Either of those would be better than what we have now. I think if a player leaves the game for an injury then the player cannot return for the remainder of the series.
Yup you know for their safety and all.

my opinion is, this will not get addressed anytime soon.. be years of argument from coaches for and against. Just don't think anything happens and readily recognize I could be wrong.
You're probably right. I do think that for the integrity of the game, they have to get rid of the fake injuries where suddenly a guy goes down like he's been shot. Too many cameras to allow that to keep happening. At least make the defense work at it lol.

VN Store

Back