Doug Mathews on Returning Players

lot of speculation on where the reductions of scholarships come from. I don't know which area it is taken from and to my knowledge, Tennessee has yet to make a statement on it. Either way, you're correct that there is work to be done to make the numbers work.

Walk-ons can receive NIL money. I've seen where some walk-ons at other schools were given deals but can't recall specifics. Wanna say maybe at BYU or Miami included walk-ons in some deals. Not the schools, but 3rd parties. Schools can't participate. :)

Roster is going to be ugly in 23 and 24 without a lot of creativity by the staff.

Don’t think we will be pushing envelopes till NCAA does their thing and then have to be cautious during probation. Wonder how they can curry favor and deals from NIL capable entities? For example, Signage or Jumbotron access with adds including any athlete maybe. Retail sites in and around venues that feature products with athlete images? Can’t be part of the revenue stream but…..

Reactions: SuzyVol
most will not IMO.. not enough quality there to keep.. may as well take a younger prospect.. hopefully more talented

I will predict that an unintended by product of ONE TIME is going to be programs feeling MORE free to treat scholarships as year to year now that ALL kids can with no sit out year. Variable length documents probably more common as deal makers or breakers.

Reactions: SuzyVol
So the '23 class is pretty critical unless they bring a 2-4 more new recruits or go heavy JUCO/portal in the next two classes.

yes, IMO.. still will lack overall experience.

I'm beginning to really get a feeling that CJH is not real keen on transfers. Appears he is going to be extremely selective in that arena moving forward. I could be wrong but it is the sense I get.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Don’t think we will be pushing envelopes till NCAA does their thing and then have to be cautious during probation. Wonder how they can curry favor and deals from NIL capable entities? For example, Signage or Jumbotron access with adds including any athlete maybe. Retail sites in and around venues that feature products with athlete images? Can’t be part of the revenue stream but…..

UT itself cannot, if I understand things correctly, initiate any type NIL activity with any entities. Athletes can request the use of facilities or things like uniforms from UT but it is a on rental basis by the athlete (in turn the entity providing the athlete a revenue stream). UT does not have to allow any of its property to be used, strictly up to them. In the short term, I'm not sure I see UT athletes with the type marketing value to provide some entity enough ROI to pay big bucks.

I've stated, I would not risk one penny with any athlete with no assurance that he or she would still be in school next week. I just don't see the benefit but see lots of risk, from a strictly business standpoint. For sure, I would not give a new signee or backup type player anything.. don't know if either would ever play a down.

I'm beginning to really get a feeling that CJH is not real keen on transfers. Appears he is going to be extremely selective in that arena moving forward. I could be wrong but it is the sense I get.
I think he may prefer to build culture with players he gets in early and don't want a bad fit to come in through portal.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
I love how NIL works for guys trying to decide...they can just publicly say, "I need X dollars to stay"
Apparently. And the next step will be some 5* announcing that he wants to walk on at either school X, Y, or Z if he can afford it. He won't have to say anything else...

I thought Holiday would be a DB when he first signed. His play of STs has reinforced that notion. Glad to hear he's moving there.

The plan has been for Bumphus to return all along. That's why they redshirted him this year.

Does anyone know the specifics of Bumphus' injury this season? Why was he able to play in only 4 games? Seems like the 4 he played in weren't consecutive either.

Seems like there are a number of D lineman we felt highly optimistic about a few years ago that are still on the roster and haven't transfered, but haven't produced much since Hype has been here.

Which of the following was hurt for the year vs. Which can't find a way to meet Garners standards?

Bumphus
Solomon
K. Garland
Simmons (I know he played well in an early game, but little to nothing after)

*I almost put Baron on this list. I know he has played hurt, but I haven't been overwhelmed with his play even when healthy....

Last edited:
UT itself cannot, if I understand things correctly, initiate any type NIL activity with any entities. Athletes can request the use of facilities or things like uniforms from UT but it is a on rental basis by the athlete (in turn the entity providing the athlete a revenue stream). UT does not have to allow any of its property to be used, strictly up to them. In the short term, I'm not sure I see UT athletes with the type marketing value to provide some entity enough ROI to pay big bucks.

I've stated, I would not risk one penny with any athlete with no assurance that he or she would still be in school next week. I just don't see the benefit but see lots of risk, from a strictly business standpoint. For sure, I would not give a new signee or backup type player anything.. don't know if either would ever play a down.

I was alluding to UT providing priority access to space for advertising if the ads contained compensated players by the companies. Still charge them some rate but not blockbuster deals for the players I.e. Pals adds with Fulky, Craven wings adds with 87, the cookie company if they replace 2 with a few new faces. Maybe Pilot could tag a few guys since they have their name on every HS FB FIELD IN Knoxville. Maybe Dish/Sling on the Jumbotron with adds that have current players involved. Pals food trucks along Vol Walk. Maybe Weigles wants in. Anything to share a few bucks as widely as possible.

Car dealers using BB players with display cars on streets around Neyland and FB players near TBA. Given spots with proof of worthwhile contract to athletes. They don’t even have to leave campus.

Mega deals for 5 stars are a totally different realm that needs some folks to step up. But getting the rep for sweetheart deals for a lot of guys might be big for the masses not in play for mega money. Drop some local market TV ads and try this out. Billboards too statewide.

Does anyone know the specifics of Bumphus' injury this season? Why was he able to play in only 4 games? Seems like the 4 he played in weren't consecutive either.

Seems like there are a number of D lineman we felt highly optimistic about a few years ago that are still on the roster and haven't transfered, but haven't produced much since Hype has been here.

Which of the following was hurt for the year vs. Which can't find a way to meet Garners standards?

Bumphus
Solomon
K. Garland
Simmons (I know he played well in an early game, but little to nothing after)

*I almost put Baron on this list. I know he has played hurt, but I haven't been overwhelmed with his play even when healthy....
Bumphus, Garland, and Simmons all gave good minutes. Simmons was injured and may still be limited. I never truly understood what was going on with Solomon. When he played, he seemed to be pretty active. But then he pretty much didn't play even in mop up for most of the year.

Baron is a good DL. He doesn't appear to have the quickness to be a rush end. He played well. He just didn't have flashy stats.

I agree. Think Evans and Mitchell bit him and he no like it...
Evans I get but I thought the Mitchell was injured and plans to return?

All that said... I'm surprised at some of the guys who are coming back and are being permitted to come back. No disrespect intended toward Page at all. But I was surprised that they extended his scholarship another year. It seems that the roster space could have been used for a new, more talented guy?

Reactions: valoisvol
K'Rojhn Calbert coming back (healthy) would be huge. Bad luck and injuries have derailed what should've been a special career in orange and could use him at one of the tackle spots next year.

I'm also hopeful that '22 is the year Akporoghene finally turns potential into performance.

Evans I get but I thought the Mitchell was injured and plans to return?

All that said... I'm surprised at some of the guys who are coming back and are being permitted to come back. No disrespect intended toward Page at all. But I was surprised that they extended his scholarship another year. It seems that the roster space could have been used for a new, more talented guy?

from what I've heard, Mitchell has not been around the team during the season.. I've seen the references about him returning but nothing from UT or Mitchell on that. We will see. People I trust are saying he won't be here.

JMO, I think Heupel is dedicated to his players. I just get the sense he will have a hard time pushing guys away without then doing something drastically wrong. Just my thoughts, nothing I've been told.

People have been saying Mitchell was leaving. Where? Here on volnation. Gbo!
Been a lot of talk on all the boards that Mitchell is gone. Don’t think he likes it here and the feelings are pretty mutual from what has been said over and over. Mays is gone.
Tillman back is huge

Bumphus, Garland, and Simmons all gave good minutes. Simmons was injured and may still be limited. I never truly understood what was going on with Solomon. When he played, he seemed to be pretty active. But then he pretty much didn't play even in mop up for most of the year.

Baron is a good DL. He doesn't appear to have the quickness to be a rush end. He played well. He just didn't have flashy stats.

I don't believe any of the 4 aforementioned gave even close to the minutes anyone anticipated. Bumphus was arguably the previous staffs favorite defensive lineman. Garland played very sparingly throughout the season with getting the majority of his minutes against Vandy.

I have a hunch were seeing the same thing we saw with the WRs. If players aren't playing to the standard, they won't get the minutes. Butler played out of his mind this season with relentless effort every play and he rarely left the game. Terry, Tremblay, and Thomas eventually took almost every snap.

I agree with you about Barons deficiencies. He's going to need to add some bulk to shift over to Tremblays spot.

Bumphus is the one I can't figure out. I'm hearing they're trying to redshirt him. Maybe that's why we didn't see him except for a few games.

He better be as everyone else is taking transfers. All you have to do is look at bumer. Have been told ole nick didn't like the portal but he sure is upgrading his teams last year and this year with it.

Reactions: allen phillips
He better be as everyone else is taking transfers. All you have to do is look at bumer. Have been told ole nick didn't like the portal but he sure is upgrading his teams last year and this year with it.

Nick is extremely selective and can afford to take only the very best players, like 2 contributors last year and two potential contributors so far this year. Looks like Josh has 2 lined up as well. He is being selective as I stated

from what I've heard, Mitchell has not been around the team during the season.. I've seen the references about him returning but nothing from UT or Mitchell on that. We will see. People I trust are saying he won't be here.

JMO, I think Heupel is dedicated to his players. I just get the sense he will have a hard time pushing guys away without then doing something drastically wrong. Just my thoughts, nothing I've been told.
Honestly for a coach that emphasizes culture so much Mitchell always seemed like an odd fit. IIRC, he left Texas because they weren't "woke" enough... why leave Austin for K'ville to play for a coach from South Dakota if your reason is "social justice"? And why take a guy who could be divisive from the moment he arrived?

Lots of maybes and ifs on that one.

Never played anything in college so he technically has 4 years of eligibility left. He’s probably approaching 60 though.
The Ole Crime Dog is 58 years old. You were spot on Brother. I didn't think he was hardly that old. I thought about my age, about 54 or 55. But alas, he does still have 4 years of eligibility !!!!

Reactions: vollygirl
Nick is extremely selective and can afford to take only the very best players, like 2 contributors last year and two potential contributors so far this year. Looks like Josh has 2 lined up as well. He is being selective as I stated
If the portal is an option to upgrade you need to use it to your benefit but yes as you stated huep needs to be selective.

VN Store

Back